Re: Stripping and Repainting Locomotives

  • Flayrah
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
      That's good news - much greater room for error when stripping
      metal. :-) I'd suggest finding the least corrosive chemical
      stripper you can - I've used "Safe Stripper" by 3M, but I haven't seen
      it in a while so it might be discontinued....if so, there should be
      similar products available. The 3M stripper is water based, and I've
      had a Marklin metal shell in it for almost a week with no damage to
      the metal - and the paint slips off easily, even in the crevices with
      a toothbrush. Then clean the shell to remove ALL traces of stripper,
      prime, and you're ready to paint! Remember to brush the shell, remove
      stripper, and dry all in one process, or the water-based might start
      to rust the metal shell. To be certain all water is gone, I rinsed
      the shell in alcohol after cleaning. If you use a stronger solvent
      based stripper, I'd be very careful how long you keep the shell in the
      solution or it might start to etch and corrode the metal.