UP GP-35

  • Roger Shimada
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
      Whoa, quite the price jump on the UP GP-35. $195. (IIRC, about $5
      goes right to UP...maybe the paint job pushed the price up too....)

      <http://www.micro-trains.com/nrz_981%2001%20020.htm>
    • dpstripe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
        In a message dated 9/30/2005 8:09:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        rogershimada@... writes:
        Whoa, quite the price jump on the UP GP-35. $195. (IIRC, about $5
        goes right to UP...maybe the paint job pushed the price up too....)
        The more complicated the paint scheme, the more expensive it is. It is quite
        apparent in the pricing of rolling stock, as well.
        Dan S.

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
          I was told that the more complex paint jobs would bump the prices up. I'm
          hoping $195.00 is the ceiling. Just like gas prices, we want them to come
          down.

        • Allan Miller
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Tom Fisher <tfisher10@y...> wrote:
            > $30.00?
            >
            > --- Roger Shimada <rogershimada@y...> wrote:
            >
            > > Whoa, quite the price jump on the UP GP-35. $195.
            > > (IIRC, about $5
            > > goes right to UP...maybe the paint job pushed the
            > > price up too....)

            It's not just a matter of the cost of the royalty payment alone, of
            course. It's also the administrative costs that must be covered in
            maintaining the record keeping and other paperwork required by the UP
            licensing agreement.

            I am, at least, glad to see that MT is presumably passing these costs
            on to the consumers of UP products, as various other manufacturers are
            doing, and not just asking all hobbyists to absorb the costs for UP's
            greediness.

            I think it's entirely proper that UP fans should pay extra for the
            licensed items, and I would feel the same way if BNSF, CSX, NS, or
            some other entity demanded as restrictive a licensing agreement.