Re: Extremely Useful web sites attn. Anders L.

  • Ole.Rosted@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 1999
      On Sat, 2 Oct 1999 13:35:13 +0200, you wrote:

      Hi Anders,

      Thank you for your reply!

      >Well, digital control is when something is controlled digitally, like by a
      >computer ;-)

      Yes, sure :-)

      >I paste the text for the Smart Cab from CTIs webb:

      [snip]

      >The only thing you can't do with this system is to run 2 locos on the same
      >track next to each other

      Just as I thought! I haven't overlooked anything after all.

      This is NOT enough and not what I want from a digital control system
      for trains.

      The control system must be able to control a number (why not 256) of
      adressable units tx. locomotives on an individual basis at the *same*
      time and on the *same* tracks. Block control is not sufficient in my
      opinion.

      I want the whole track system to be powered by a fixed voltage from a
      source that will be able to suply to each addressable unit (locos,
      turnouts, signals etc.) with what is needed to make them work
      according to the digital signals sent to them.

      I do believe this can be accomplished. I have been programming PC
      based A/D and D/A applications for 20 years now, and right from the
      beginning - or rather from the time I "stole" my kids train - digital
      train control has been my goal. I guess that the electronics will be
      much easier for me to do, than the mechanical work with tracks, locos
      and other nerve- wrecking train "hardware".

      But in Z-locos there is not much room for the decoder etc. It can be
      done, though or the parts could maybe be built into a passenger car or
      another roomy wagon of some sort. I don't know! The first year (or two
      - or three or....) I intend to use on building a stable and well
      functioning track system for my digital experiments.

      regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
    • pleahy@xxxxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 1999
        Ole Rosted,

        At 02:36 PM 10/2/99 GMT, you wrote:
        >From: Ole.Rosted@... (Ole Rosted)
        >The control system must be able to control a number (why not 256) of
        >adressable units tx. locomotives on an individual basis at the *same*
        >time and on the *same* tracks. Block control is not sufficient in my
        >opinion.
        >
        >I want the whole track system to be powered by a fixed voltage from a
        >source that will be able to suply to each addressable unit (locos,
        >turnouts, signals etc.) with what is needed to make them work
        >according to the digital signals sent to them.

        This is what I have envisioned Digital Control to be for a futture layout.
        Unfortunatly the systems available now are beyond my buget.

        >But in Z-locos there is not much room for the decoder etc. It can be
        >done, though or the parts could maybe be built into a passenger car or
        >another roomy wagon of some sort. I don't know!

        If Digitrax ever comes out with their DZ121...

        > The first year (or two
        >- or three or....) I intend to use on building a stable and well
        >functioning track system for my digital experiments.

        Would be very interested in your progress.

        Pete