Re: Urgent Request!!!!

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
      No, BNSF is Platnum! I am stripping a NS in order to give it a CSX
      paint job.

      Tim

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "GordonWerner" <z@w...> wrote:
      > you better not be stripping a BNSF C44!
      >

      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
      > > What is the best thing to strip the paint from an AZL C44-9 brass
      > > shell? Thanks in advance!
      > >
      > > Tim
    • sgt_tim7
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
        Only way a Santa Fe will be re-painted is if it is made into a BNSF
        warbonnet scheme! Soon, real soon!!! :)

        Tim

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "GordonWerner" <z@w...> wrote:
        > you better not be stripping a BNSF C44!
        >

        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
        > > What is the best thing to strip the paint from an AZL C44-9 brass
        > > shell? Thanks in advance!
        > >
        > > Tim
      • harold grady
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
          Hi Tim, The best paint stripper would be something for lacquer, nonflammable.
          I've used a product from Sears of that description but I cannot recall the name.
          But it worked very quickly, in lest than 15 minutes, but its stinky.
          Harold Grady

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
            Hey mister Sergeant, Sir are you making decals for a warbonnet dash 9?
            You know I would like to purchase some.
            Harold Grady

            sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:
            Only way a Santa Fe will be re-painted is if it is made into a BNSF
            warbonnet scheme! Soon, real soon!!! :)

            Tim

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "GordonWerner" <z@w...> wrote:
            > you better not be stripping a BNSF C44!
            >

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
            > > What is the best thing to strip the paint from an AZL C44-9 brass
            > > shell? Thanks in advance!
            > >
            > > Tim

            Model railroad train G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n scale Scale model train Z scale model train

          • Robert Ray
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
              sgt_tim7 wrote:
              > What is the best thing to strip the paint from an AZL C44-9 brass
              > shell? Thanks in advance!

              Good Luck! I tried to use Easy Lift Off on the lettering of one of my
              Rio Grande SD-45's rubbed feverishly with a Q-tip. Not even faded.
              Whatever kind of paint they used must have been powder coated and
              baked on!

              I'm thinking of using Aqua Regia, or Hot Mung Cider sparingly applied
              with a teflon brush. Maybe N-Butyl Acetate mixed with Xylene and
              Acetone will work.

              The gist is, it's not easy to strip.

              -Robert
            • sgt_tim7
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                Rob Kluz, can you shed any light on this subject? What kind of paint
                job is done on the C44-9's? What might be the best method of paint
                stripping? Thanks!
                Tim

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Ray" <pray59@s...> wrote:
                > sgt_tim7 wrote:
                > > What is the best thing to strip the paint from an AZL C44-9 brass
                > > shell? Thanks in advance!
                >

                > Good Luck! I tried to use Easy Lift Off on the lettering of one of my
                > Rio Grande SD-45's rubbed feverishly with a Q-tip. Not even faded.
                > Whatever kind of paint they used must have been powder coated and
                > baked on!
                >
                > I'm thinking of using Aqua Regia, or Hot Mung Cider sparingly applied
                > with a teflon brush. Maybe N-Butyl Acetate mixed with Xylene and
                > Acetone will work.
                >
                > The gist is, it's not easy to strip.
                >
                > -Robert
              • Michael Hilliard
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                  Hi Guys and Gals,

                  I'm honestly disappointed with you Robert R., we model the same era's on different coasts, but haven't you and everyone listened to or tryed the old fashioned way of paint stripping: Dot 3 Brake Fluid, cheap yet affective. It will even remove lacquer paint from the new mtl gp 35's, with care and attention.

                  Here's my experience, not theory; on brass, just put the shell in the brake fluid overnight, then take a old toothbrush to remove the loosened paint, then clean with grease removing dish washing liquid, rinse, then place in household vinegar for a min. or 2, then rinse again and prepare for primer coat of paint.

                  If using this method on plastic shells, place in brake fluid as above, but after 20 min., check and use the toothbrush and return it to the brake fluid bath, then check and toothbrush every 10 min. until all paint is removed. Then clean as stated above for brass. With plastic shells, if left in the brake fluid bath longer than it takes to loosen the paint, the brake fluid can start "reacting" with the plastic. Use care & time with my suggestion in regards to stripping paint from plastic, brass, no problem.

                  Want proof? Look in the choo choo terrain photo folder of this group for the photo of a Florida East Coast GP 38 shell, stripped with this method and repainted, with floquil paints then decaled.

                  Hope this helps, sorry if I sound disturbed, it's probably due to other "things",

                  Michael Hilliard
                  Wilton, CT USA

                  Robert Ray <pray59@...> wrote:
                  sgt_tim7 wrote:
                  > What is the best thing to strip the paint from an AZL C44-9 brass
                  > shell? Thanks in advance!

                  Good Luck! I tried to use Easy Lift Off on the lettering of one of my
                  Rio Grande SD-45's rubbed feverishly with a Q-tip. Not even faded.
                  Whatever kind of paint they used must have been powder coated and
                  baked on!

                  I'm thinking of using Aqua Regia, or Hot Mung Cider sparingly applied
                  with a teflon brush. Maybe N-Butyl Acetate mixed with Xylene and
                  Acetone will work.

                  The gist is, it's not easy to strip.

                  -Robert

                  Model railroad train G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n scale Scale model train Z scale model train

                • Lajos Thek
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
                    > What is the best thing to strip the paint from an AZL C44-9 brass
                    > shell?

                    I didn't try to strip any AZL locomotive,
                    but if they use similar stuff I use for
                    my ET194s, you'll have nothing, but problem.
                    The toughest "Jasco" paint and epoxy remover
                    did only 50% of the job, the rest was taken
                    off with my small sandblaster using 160 grit
                    aluminum oxide media. Messy job. Next time
                    I'll not screw up any paint job...

                    Lajos
                  • Adam
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                      You're doing WHAT!?!?

                      Oh, it's ON now, boyeee!!! :p Where's the number for the office...
                      I think I will make myself available to work in Atlanta next week,
                      just so I can come put a size 12 where it counts...

                      Or can I contribute this momentary lack of reason to the $6 a gallon
                      gasoline you must be sniffing?

                      Have a good weekend regardless...

                      Adam

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
                      > No, BNSF is Platnum! I am stripping a NS in order to give it a
                      CSX
                      > paint job.
                      >
                      > Tim
                      >

                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "GordonWerner" <z@w...> wrote:
                      > > you better not be stripping a BNSF C44!
                      > >

                      > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
                      > > > What is the best thing to strip the paint from an AZL C44-9
                      brass
                      > > > shell? Thanks in advance!
                      > > >
                      > > > Tim
                    • Loren Snyder
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@c...> wrote:

                          > Do you think 80 grit aluminum oxide would be too course?

                          First, I need to correct my posting, instead
                          of 160 grit, I actually use 220 grit media
                          for sandblasting. Now, to answer your question,
                          the 80 grit is very good to eliminate all the
                          details...

                          Lajos
                        • Phil
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                            Tim,

                            I am by far no expert and have never done anything like this, but in
                            the May/June 2003 issue of Ztrack, Curtis Cambell wrote an article on
                            repainting these. He says he used paint thinner for about half an
                            hour to an hour then scrubbed with a paint brush.

                            Hope this helps,

                            Phil

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
                            > What is the best thing to strip the paint from an AZL C44-9 brass
                            > shell? Thanks in advance!
                            >
                            > Tim
                          • Michael Hilliard
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                              Hi,

                              I read your earlier posting, I "was going to say "160" grit, I would not recomend more than 220 grit as you correctly stated below. Even then I would recomend going down to at least 600 grit before refinishing for paint. 220 grit will work ok, but if you're a fanatic like me, I'd use 220 grit as a starting point.

                              I have the same sandblaster Lajos, my experience has been it's great to do rough finishing of castings, but just the starting point for finished pieces. 80 grit Loren, blast away all detail as Lajos says, way to course for anything Z.

                              Final note, Dot 3 Brake Fluid, much easier and available to all without specialty equipment to simply remove paint, just use with care ( see earlier post).

                              Michael Hilliard

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                                > I read your earlier posting, I "was going to say "160" grit, I would not
                                > recomend more than 220 grit as you correctly stated below. Even then I
                                > would recomend going down to at least 600 grit before refinishing for
                                > paint. 220 grit will work ok, but if you're a fanatic like me, I'd use 220
                                > grit as a starting point.
                                >
                                > I have the same sandblaster Lajos, my experience has been it's great to do
                                > rough finishing of castings, but just the starting point for finished
                                > pieces. 80 grit Loren, blast away all detail as Lajos says, way to course
                                > for anything Z.
                                >
                                > Final note, Dot 3 Brake Fluid, much easier and available to all without
                                > specialty equipment to simply remove paint, just use with care ( see
                                > earlier post).
                                >
                                > Michael Hilliard

                                I appreciated your earlier posting regarding the careful use of Dot 3 brake
                                fluid. Very thorough description of the technique for using on both plastic
                                and brass. This is the kind of information that really helps those trying
                                to achieve the best results. Belongs in the Z encyclopedia.

                                Loren
                              • jim_manley_alpha_six
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
                                  OOOO-RAH Sarge, and Atten-hut to the ReZt of uZ MaggotZ,

                                  I have found that the stripperZ found in ScoreZ and The Pink Poodle do
                                  a horrible job at removing the paint from model trainZ, but, if you
                                  can get them to show up in your shop, WHO CAREZ?!?!? OK, sorry, I
                                  just couldn't reZiZt this late on a Friday night!

                                  We now return you to your group, already in progress.

                                  All Z BeZt,
                                  Jim

                                  P.S.: No stripperZ were uZed, much less harmed, in the making of this
                                  post. OtherwiZe, this would be my last post, ever (which would only
                                  be good newZ to a lot of memberZ ;)

                                • ztrack@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
                                    In a message dated 9/3/05 12:28:31 AM, philaun@... writes:

                                    > the May/June 2003 issue of Ztrack, Curtis Cambell wrote an article on
                                    > repainting these.  He says he used paint thinner for about half an
                                    > hour to an hour then scrubbed with a paint brush.

                                    This was a good article on repainting the C44s to a CSX and Conrail paint
                                    scheme. I am not sure the type of thinner he used. Make sure you remove the
                                    plastic windows and fiber optic cables in the headlights since these may be damaged
                                    by the thinner or brake fluid.

                                    Unfortunately, I don't have any other recommendations on removing the paint
                                    from AZL locos.

                                    Rob Kluz

                                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                    Dublin, OH 43016
                                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                    http://www.ztrack.com/
                                    Distributor for American Z Line

                                  • sgt_tim7
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
                                      I am afraid my time in "Z" and with Ztrack does not go back that
                                      far. I am on my own! Thanks for all the helpful advise!!! The C44-
                                      9 shell is at this time soaking in brake fluid. Hope this works
                                      ok. Will post photos when complete! Have a grand weekend!
                                      Tim

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
                                        Tim,

                                        You may want to check with Jeff White. He should have the back issue. We also
                                        have back issues available. You can see a photo of the finished CSX C44 at:

                                        http://www.ztrack.com/asrtpgs/9.3covlg.html

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
                                          DOT 3 Brake Fluid ain't cutting the Mustard, or at least the AZL paint
                                          job. Been soaking for 2 hours and shows no sign of anything!

                                          This has got to be an enamel paint. No water based stuff here!

                                          The shell has a thinly aplied coat of paint so it's not thick! A 3600
                                          grit sandpaper sponge will take the paint away from the brass details
                                          with 2 or 3 swipes.

                                          Any other ideas on how to strip the paint??????

                                          How long should this shell soak?

                                          So many questions!!

                                          Harold Grady, what did you use to strip the paint off of that SD45???

                                          Tim
                                        • randy smidt
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
                                            AAAAhhhhhhhh! The Horror, the horror. It's sacrilidge I say!

                                            Why couldn't you have done a horsehead instead?

                                            Randy Smidt

                                            long hood forward, the way trains were meant to run!

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
                                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:

                                              > Any other ideas on how to strip the paint??????

                                              Answer #2
                                              "Jasco" paint and epoxy remover and
                                              sandblasting (air erasing) with 220
                                              grit media.

                                              Lajos
                                            • harold grady
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
                                                Tim, I used laquer remover. I t worked fairly quickly 10-15 minutes. It's Nonflammable.
                                                got it at Sears, but for the life of me cannot recall the brand name.
                                                What I did was apply it with an old toothbrush and wait 10-15 min. I then scrubbed it
                                                very vigorously and voila the paint came off in sheets. The only drawback was the
                                                smell. I used it in the basement. But you need some ventilation. I was pleased at
                                                the results. Before I used the laquer removal I left the SD45 in a jar of pinesol for
                                                almost a month and nothing. Ajin precision has the best paint jobs in the industry.
                                                Once your model is painted that paint stays on.

                                                Harold Grady

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
                                                  Thanks Harold! I know what ever you used on that SD45 worked well.
                                                  Laquer remover! Gonna have to go to Sears tomorrow or Home Depot
                                                  and get me some. It's either that or use the CSX gray as a
                                                  base/primer coat over the NS black.

                                                  I did however use a 3200 and a 3600 grit sand sponge to carefully
                                                  remove the side pad printed NS signage. The front and rear signage
                                                  are decals. The brake fluid made them brittle and with a bit of
                                                  fingernail work were removed. I have filed the number boards above
                                                  the windows smooth and puttied up the headlights above the windows
                                                  too. They have to be relocated along with the number boards. When
                                                  finished, it should look pretty darn good.

                                                  Depending on how this baby goes, maybe I might try my luck with
                                                  custom paint schemes on the new MTL GP35's. "Maybe!"

                                                  More later!

                                                  Tim

                                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, harold grady <butch60619@y...> wrote:
                                                  > Tim, I used laquer remover. I t worked fairly quickly 10-15
                                                  minutes. It's Nonflammable.
                                                  > got it at Sears, but for the life of me cannot recall the brand
                                                  name.
                                                  > What I did was apply it with an old toothbrush and wait 10-15 min.
                                                  I then scrubbed it
                                                  > very vigorously and voila the paint came off in sheets. The only
                                                  drawback was the
                                                  > smell. I used it in the basement. But you need some ventilation. I
                                                  was pleased at
                                                  > the results. Before I used the laquer removal I left the SD45 in a
                                                  jar of pinesol for
                                                  > almost a month and nothing. Ajin precision has the best paint jobs
                                                  in the industry.
                                                  > Once your model is painted that paint stays on.
                                                  >
                                                  > Harold Grady
                                                  >
                                                  > sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
                                                  > DOT 3 Brake Fluid ain't cutting the Mustard, or at least the AZL
                                                  paint
                                                  > job. Been soaking for 2 hours and shows no sign of anything!
                                                  >
                                                  > This has got to be an enamel paint. No water based stuff here!
                                                  >
                                                  > The shell has a thinly aplied coat of paint so it's not thick! A
                                                  3600
                                                  > grit sandpaper sponge will take the paint away from the brass
                                                  details
                                                  > with 2 or 3 swipes.
                                                  >
                                                  > Any other ideas on how to strip the paint??????
                                                  >
                                                  > How long should this shell soak?
                                                  >
                                                  > So many questions!!
                                                  >
                                                  > Harold Grady, what did you use to strip the paint off of that
                                                  SD45???

                                                  > Tim

                                                  > Model railroad train G scale model train Ho scale model train
                                                  Model train n scale Scale model train Z scale model train

                                                  Service.