Re: The CarZtenbahn LIVES!

  • ulmubi
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Joe Krepps <occupant@b...> wrote:
      > Carsten! Does this mean we'll see some Z-scale at next year's
      EuroEast? :)

      Joe,

      Maybe. It won't be the CarZtenbahn, but perhaps the next Z-scale
      layout. I have an idea for a Swiss layout that I'll be working on
      over the next few months, also in Z...

      > Nice work! We'd be insanely happy to have you back next year!

      Thanks, Joe! Sorry I couldn't bring the CarZtenbahn this year, but I
      wasn't ready to show it, and I had no way of transporting it (all of
      Jan's stuff was in the back).

      > mfg,
      > Joe Krepps (short, pudgy buyer of your last DVD at EuroEast '05)
      > Secretary:Keystone Chapter/European Train Enthusiasts www.ete.org

      - Carsten (not short, but decidedly pudgy shameless self-promoter)
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        Jeffrey is right on. I can't believe the difference painted rail and blacken
        catenary make on a layout. In the overhead photo on the link below, the
        catenary and rail in the station area has been weathered. The catenary wire in the
        front of the photo and track has not been done yet. Big difference!

        http://www.ztrack.com/RKlayoutpages/kluz_0167.html

        You will also see I am weathering the building. I love the affect!

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        http://www.ztrack.com/
        Distributor for American Z Line

      • ulmubi
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Ibbotson" <yahoo@i...> wrote:
          > Nicely done, however I have one question:

          Fire away, Peter!

          > The Woodland scenics water looks good but what is underneath it? Is
          just
          > Styrofoam, plaster cloth, a layer of paint (what sort? Acrylic?)
          then the
          > water?

          You can see the styrofoam in the previous pictures. I simply added a
          couple of layers of plaster cloth over these bits and pieces, then
          used a simple latex (water based) paint to color the riverbed. I had
          visions of adding tallus for rocks, but found the appearence to be
          unrealistic, so I simply poured the mixture right into the basin. I
          started a bit above and behind the bridge and let the flow around the
          bridge piers. The result looks quite good, though by no means
          perfect. Still, it represents a low spot with some standing water
          quite well...

          > I'm just about to need to start adding water to my layout this
          weekend with
          > a bit of luck but I've been a bit worried about whatever I use
          escaping out.

          The stuff dries pretty quickly, so there is little chance of seeping
          into the cloth. One word of caution: The mixture cools and hardens
          very rapidly. If you have a way of heating your *disposable*
          container very close to the layout, so much the better. Heat it
          until it begins to smoke, then immediately pour into your riverbed /
          basin / lakebed.

          > Both plaster cloth and the woodland scenics water I can get over
          the weekend
          > and use to get this bit done.

          The ease of procurement of materials is one reason why I used the
          materials I did! Good luck!

          - Carsten