Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Discount Model Trains - MT log cars

  • dpstripe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
      In a message dated 9/1/2005 12:03:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, z@...
      writes:
      Ahh ... Thank you Jim for your explanation.

      I have 6 of the little log cars ... with a few more on the way. Considering
      it is an undecorated
      car I was supprised to see it sold out everywhere ... didn't think supply
      would be an issue (not
      everyone needs these) ...

      The thing with a car of this type is that most people that do want them, want
      a few, at least. They make a great "branch line" product. One car full of
      unmilled timber is sort of out of place. A train full coming from a logging camp
      to a mill looks just right.
      Dan S.

    • Vincent Goudreault
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
        Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:19:15 -0000
        From: "www.zscalemonster.com" <anthony@...>
        Subject: Re: MT log cars and GP35

        Good morning everybody.

        (...)

        I does hurt for me to have to display "OOP, Sold Out" right away as
        I thought for sure I had have plenty. I had the N scale release to
        go by and believe it or not... the Z sold out faster than the 1st N
        scale loc car. No one thought that would be possible. Both Loren
        Snyder and I wish we could go to MTL and work nights... producing
        more log cars for you but the watch dogs would do more work on us.

        So there you have it. Shocking but true. Sad but true.
        Chin up, If they think like they did in N scale... they will be back
        with a different log load in no time. :)

        Best wishes!
        Anthony
        http://www.zscalemonster.com/

        It may be bad for those who did not get in line early, BUT

        1- MTL didn't exactly destroy the molds, so they can re-release it next
        month
        just as you hinted.
        (correct me if I am wrong, but from the pics I have seen, there is no road
        name/reporting
        number on those log cars. Is this true?)

        2- the speed with which it sold out shows how interested and active a Z
        community there is
        and that can only be an incentive for more new release/models/reprints,
        whatever.
        And this may bring even more interested mannufacturers in the fray.

        All in all, it's all good for most of us.

        By they way, I have another one of those strange questions. As we all know
        (probably) the
        GP-35 (the prototype) was available either as a low short hood or high short
        hood.
        What was housed in the high hood section that expands on the low one? Was
        that volume
        left empty, or was there equipment? And if there was equipment, where was
        it moved to in
        the case of the low hood units?

        CBVG
      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
          Jim,

          If that hobby shop has an inside to MTL that Anthony and I don't about, then
          we'd both give your left arm to know what the inside is? I'm sure Anthony
          called, and I know for darn sure I did, and Tina said "No way Jose" for any
          more log cars. New ones will be comming out with new loads, but you take a
          guess as to when, I give up guessing.

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
            If what I've been reading here about the shortage of MT's log cars is
            true (unavailable/sold out just a day or two after their initial
            release), then it is rather painfully obvious that MT and its dealer
            network has little or no real clue about the market it serves. Not a
            good thing in a time when all firms in the hobby should be clamoring
            for--and serving--every customer and all the sales they can possibly get.

            Now it's entirely possible that the reports I've been reading here are
            not accurately or fully reflecting the actual situation. If so, I
            apologize for being critical. But if it is true, then MT obviously
            goofed-up badly, and it is costing them dearly in terms of lost profits.
          • Jeffrey MacHan
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
              Not "lost profits", more like "delayed profits" and "reduced cash flow". I do not really think that Z-scalers will boycott MTL because the log cars are sold out. The next run will likely fly off the shelves.

              At some point, a run will not sell out so quickly and MTL will change their production calendar as a result. Also, there is a limited supply of purchasing power in the Z-community at any moment. By producing limited runs, MTL allows the consumer base to replenish the bank account for the next batch of goodies! <wink>

              Cheers,
              Jeffrey

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Miller" <almiller@v...> wrote:
              Not a
              > good thing in a time when all firms in the hobby should be clamoring
              > for--and serving--every customer and all the sales they can possibly get.
              But if it is true, then MT obviously
              > goofed-up badly, and it is costing them dearly in terms of lost profits.
            • thomascb2004
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                Since the initial posting about "Discount's" stock, the log car count
                has dropped from 4 to 1. Still plenty of SP and CP well cars, however.

                Tom in Dallas
              • Tom Fisher
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                  1 log car -- not any more.