Questions for Eric Menzel - was - Re: [Z_Scale] Question for Joe DAmato

  • Eric Menzel
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1 12:49 PM
      All,

      Just for some clarification on my product lines. I will be
      introducing modern, as in late 1980's thru present day structures and
      rolling stock. My modern urban structures will include glass and
      steel type buildings and industries. I'm also looking into modern
      day automotive industries as well, like Pikestuff kits in N scale. I
      am designing my kits to be interchangeable like DPM kits, so that you
      can add as many kits to create any size structure(s).

      Randy,
      I am looking into laser-etched brick wall segments using 2-ply
      plastic sign/plaque materials. This will give a great relief and 3D
      texture. I'm sure I will have plenty of time to experiment with
      materials and designs when the laser arrives.

      Hope this helps clarify my line at bit better.

      Regards,
      Eric P. Menzel

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:
      > Reynard,
      >
      > I am aware of your brass kits as well as Micro-structures' brass
      kits and the PennZee card stock buildings.

      > I guess I should have said "affordable" urban brick buildings.
      While I do plan on using some MicronArt and Micro-Structures kits
      (and Scratch material, once I get comfortable working on brass), I
      can't afford to populate a whole series of urban themed modules with
      this product other than for the up front part of the scenes. Just
      building a couple of city blocks would cost in the hundreds of
      dollars.

      > I have looked at card models as an affordable alternative, but I
      like to have relief detail and light colored mortar joints on my
      models. It is difficult to find light colored mortar in card stock
      kits (most have black lines) and impossible to get the relief detail
      (at least for the mortar joints, not any relief in the brick work).

      > I would like to see "affordable" plastic brick material or building
      kits.

      > No offense Reynard, but brass has uses it is well suited for and
      other uses that it is not well suited for. Building a select few
      really nicely detailed structures is great. Building a few city
      blocks worth of multi-story urban buildings would cost too much for
      most people, even if you had the ability to etch the brass yourself.

      > I can stratchbuild stone, wood and concrete buildings with
      inexpensive materials. That is not yet possible with brick in Z
      scale. That's why some of us keep ranting about this topic every
      year.

      > I will say thank you for the scratch product you have produced
      though. At least we CAN scratchbuild brick structures now, just not
      inexpensively for a large volume of structures.

      > Randy Smidt
      > Springfield, VA

    • Reynard Wellman
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1 1:26 PM
        Hello Randy,
        I must say that I agree with you for the most part.
        That's why I was so pleased to contribute enhancements
        for the PennZee paper structures, which are doing quite
        well.

        I assume by the size and scale of your needs that you
        are modeling Downtown Cincinnati or something ; >))
        Most folks limit the amount of structures on their layouts
        to a few key railroad operations, industries, farms
        and edges of a small town, etc. But everybody is unique,
        having different goals and interests. The challenges
        in model railroading are the real fun of the hobby.
        Figuring out ways to make the mortar in your brick
        white instead of black is just such an example.
        If you have a pretty good color printer there is no
        reason why you cannot create some Z brick squares
        without the black line. Space them apart so that
        there is a "white" space between them. Use the
        same color as your fill for your brick outlines or
        "no lines". You should see some white mortar between
        your bricks. Use 3M Super 88 to bond your paper
        to the chipboard and you're set to brick up a
        structure.

        Check out the Narrow Gauge Gazette sometime.
        Those guys even have wrenches and screw drivers
        for their HO scale machine shops.

        Many of our structures would not look very good
        in anything else but brass, while other ideas would be
        okay in paper or plastic.
        The main reason that I have not released some of
        my bigger brass Z projects is ...
        well, you said it best.

        I believe that our Zscratch line, on the other hand,
        is quite reasonable.

        Thanks for your notes, they are good arguments.

        I had to break into my long term savings to obtain
        some of AZL's pretty choo choos. But worth every
        penny!

        As I have seen, Z scale is not for the faint-walleted.

        Best regards,

        Reynard
        http://www.micronart.com

        On Thursday, September 1, 2005, at 01:25 PM, randy smidt wrote:

        > Reynard,
        >
        > I am aware of your brass kits as well as Micro-structures' brass kits
        > and the PennZee card stock buildings.
        >
        > I guess I should have said "affordable" urban brick buildings.  While
        > I do plan on using some MicronArt and Micro-Structures kits (and
        > Scratch material, once I get comfortable working on brass), I can't
        > afford to populate a whole series of urban themed modules with this
        > product other than for the up front part of the scenes.  Just building
        > a couple of city blocks would cost in the hundreds of dollars.
        >
        > I have looked at card models as an affordable alternative, but I like
        > to have relief detail and light colored mortar joints on my models.
        > It is difficult to find light colored mortar in card stock kits (most
        > have black lines) and impossible to get the relief detail (at least
        > for the mortar joints, not any relief in the brick work).
        >
        > I would like to see "affordable" plastic brick material or building
        > kits.
        <edited

        > I will say thank you for the scratch product you have produced
        > though.  At least we CAN scratchbuild brick structures now, just not
        > inexpensively for a large volume of structures.
        >
        > Randy Smidt
        > Springfield, VA

        <edited

      • randy smidt
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2 4:10 AM
          Reynard,

          Thanks for the comments.

          Great ideas on the mortar lines. I'll have to give that a try.

          Randy Smidt