Re: Questions for Eric Menzel - was - Re: [Z_Scale] Question for Joe DAmato

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hello Randy and All Zeds,

      Urban buildings in Z are one of our specialties.
      We have the following:
      #1099 Late 19th Century Factory or Warehouse
      #1015 Capital City Depot
      #1011 Metal Foundry
      #1009 Switch Tower
      #1049 Yard Buildings
      #1001REVA, a new version of our Water Station
      #1003 Coaling Tipple
      Plus all of the PennZee Commercial and Industrial
      buildings as well as our designed brass detail
      enhancements for them.

      Many of these buildings are "brick" and since this is
      an open forum, I decided to pipe up.

      Thanks for your attention,
      Reynard
      http://www.micronart.com
      On Thursday, September 1, 2005, at 12:11 PM, randy smidt wrote:

      > Eric,
      >
      > Thanks for the reply and info.
      >
      > I know I am definitely interested in the urban buildings.  Any plans
      > to include brick structures?  I personally think that brick is the
      > hardest building material to try to model in Z scale.  Other types of
      > materials are easier to model using n-scale materials or completely
      > from scratch.  That doesn't really work with something like brick that
      > has a standardized dimension though.
      >
      > Randy Smidt
      > Springfield, VA
      >

      > Eric Menzel <epmenzel@...> wrote:
      > Randy,
      >
      > I have many projects in the works as far as modern freight is
      > concerned. I don't want to build up too much expectation, but I will
      > be sure to announce projects as they are released for production. I
      > have purchased a CNC mini mill and have been working on brass masters
      > to mold and cast resin copies from. I have also quoted and demo'ed a
      > CO2 laser and currently have my brother working on designs for
      > modern urban acrylic buildings and other various industries.
      >
      > One goal that I will let out is to produce a blast furnace and other
      > steel industry buildings, as well as hot metal bottle and ingot
      > cars. But details will be officially announced at a later time.
      >
      > As far as turnouts. I understand that Code55-60 is the standard as
      > far as compatibility with current production track. I have been
      > working with a company that extrudes soft metals, such as nickel-
      > silver, trying to produce a die that will extrude rail at around a
      > code 45. This way it should mate with code 55-60, as well as code
      > 40, with minor amounts of filing, and yet preserve the better looks.
      > Again, I will release more details as more information comes in, and
      > as soon as I can post the updated website to the web.
      >
      > Hope this helps...
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Eric P. Menzel
      >

      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt wrote:
      > > Eric,
      > >
      > > "Milling brass masters of various cars", can you share more info
      > with us?
      > >
      > > Modern Tank Cars and Hoppers?
      > >
      > > When will you have more turnouts ready. I saw them at NTS and they
      > looked great, but I had no idea you were selling them for just $20!
      > Did you do any (or have plans to do any) in code 55? I know the code
      > 40 looks better, but the majority of other track systems out there
      > for Z scale still use code 55-60.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Randy Smidt
      > > Springfield, VA

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > -Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!

      <image.tiff>

      <image.tiff>

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > +  Visit your group "z_scale" on the web.

      <image.tiff>

    • randy smidt
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
        Reynard,

        I am aware of your brass kits as well as Micro-structures' brass kits and the PennZee card stock buildings.

        I guess I should have said "affordable" urban brick buildings. While I do plan on using some MicronArt and Micro-Structures kits (and Scratch material, once I get comfortable working on brass), I can't afford to populate a whole series of urban themed modules with this product other than for the up front part of the scenes. Just building a couple of city blocks would cost in the hundreds of dollars.

        I have looked at card models as an affordable alternative, but I like to have relief detail and light colored mortar joints on my models. It is difficult to find light colored mortar in card stock kits (most have black lines) and impossible to get the relief detail (at least for the mortar joints, not any relief in the brick work).

        I would like to see "affordable" plastic brick material or building kits.

        No offense Reynard, but brass has uses it is well suited for and other uses that it is not well suited for. Building a select few really nicely detailed structures is great. Building a few city blocks worth of multi-story urban buildings would cost too much for most people, even if you had the ability to etch the brass yourself.

        I can stratchbuild stone, wood and concrete buildings with inexpensive materials. That is not yet possible with brick in Z scale. That's why some of us keep ranting about this topic every year.

        I will say thank you for the scratch product you have produced though. At least we CAN scratchbuild brick structures now, just not inexpensively for a large volume of structures.

        Randy Smidt
        Springfield, VA

        #1099 Late 19th Century Factory or Warehouse
        #1015 Capital City Depot
        #1011 Metal Foundry
        #1009 Switch Tower
        #1049 Yard Buildings
        #1001REVA, a new version of our Water Station
        #1003 Coaling Tipple
> [...]

        > > Eric,
        > >
        > > "Milling brass masters of various cars", can you share more info
        > with us?
        > >
        > > Modern Tank Cars and Hoppers?
        > >
        > > When will you have more turnouts ready. I saw them at NTS and they
        > looked great, but I had no idea you were selling them for just $20!
        > Did you do any (or have plans to do any) in code 55? I know the code
        > 40 looks better, but the majority of other track systems out there
        > for Z scale still use code 55-60.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Randy Smidt
        > > Springfield, VA

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > + Visit your group "z_scale" on the web.
        >
        > + To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        >
        > + Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      • John & Sue Bartolotto
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
          Randy,

          You can use DPM brick modules. N scale brick is not much larger than Z and
          with the technique that Rob Kluz taught me "from one step back" you can't
          tell.

          Now of course you can take a look at the low-relief and other types of
          buildings that Nansen Street Models has at: http://www.the-n-arch.com/
          Additionally, you can look at the Model Builder's Supply Line (also by THE N
          SCALE ARCHITECT, http://www.the-n-arch.com/) for plastic N scale material
          that would in Z.

          Brick mortar in Z is tough. If you come up with a good technique then let
          the group know.

          There are several European manufactures who have buildings that would work
          on an American layouts with little or no modification.

          http://www.artitec.nl/

          http://www.stipp.de/

          http://texte.luetke-modellbahn.de/katalog_z_lo.pdf

          Enjoy,

          John
        • Eric Menzel
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
            All,

            Just for some clarification on my product lines. I will be
            introducing modern, as in late 1980's thru present day structures and
            rolling stock. My modern urban structures will include glass and
            steel type buildings and industries. I'm also looking into modern
            day automotive industries as well, like Pikestuff kits in N scale. I
            am designing my kits to be interchangeable like DPM kits, so that you
            can add as many kits to create any size structure(s).

            Randy,
            I am looking into laser-etched brick wall segments using 2-ply
            plastic sign/plaque materials. This will give a great relief and 3D
            texture. I'm sure I will have plenty of time to experiment with
            materials and designs when the laser arrives.

            Hope this helps clarify my line at bit better.

            Regards,
            Eric P. Menzel

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:
            > Reynard,
            >
            > I am aware of your brass kits as well as Micro-structures' brass
            kits and the PennZee card stock buildings.

            > I guess I should have said "affordable" urban brick buildings.
            While I do plan on using some MicronArt and Micro-Structures kits
            (and Scratch material, once I get comfortable working on brass), I
            can't afford to populate a whole series of urban themed modules with
            this product other than for the up front part of the scenes. Just
            building a couple of city blocks would cost in the hundreds of
            dollars.

            > I have looked at card models as an affordable alternative, but I
            like to have relief detail and light colored mortar joints on my
            models. It is difficult to find light colored mortar in card stock
            kits (most have black lines) and impossible to get the relief detail
            (at least for the mortar joints, not any relief in the brick work).

            > I would like to see "affordable" plastic brick material or building
            kits.

            > No offense Reynard, but brass has uses it is well suited for and
            other uses that it is not well suited for. Building a select few
            really nicely detailed structures is great. Building a few city
            blocks worth of multi-story urban buildings would cost too much for
            most people, even if you had the ability to etch the brass yourself.

            > I can stratchbuild stone, wood and concrete buildings with
            inexpensive materials. That is not yet possible with brick in Z
            scale. That's why some of us keep ranting about this topic every
            year.

            > I will say thank you for the scratch product you have produced
            though. At least we CAN scratchbuild brick structures now, just not
            inexpensively for a large volume of structures.

            > Randy Smidt
            > Springfield, VA

          • Reynard Wellman
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
              Hello Randy,
              I must say that I agree with you for the most part.
              That's why I was so pleased to contribute enhancements
              for the PennZee paper structures, which are doing quite
              well.

              I assume by the size and scale of your needs that you
              are modeling Downtown Cincinnati or something ; >))
              Most folks limit the amount of structures on their layouts
              to a few key railroad operations, industries, farms
              and edges of a small town, etc. But everybody is unique,
              having different goals and interests. The challenges
              in model railroading are the real fun of the hobby.
              Figuring out ways to make the mortar in your brick
              white instead of black is just such an example.
              If you have a pretty good color printer there is no
              reason why you cannot create some Z brick squares
              without the black line. Space them apart so that
              there is a "white" space between them. Use the
              same color as your fill for your brick outlines or
              "no lines". You should see some white mortar between
              your bricks. Use 3M Super 88 to bond your paper
              to the chipboard and you're set to brick up a
              structure.

              Check out the Narrow Gauge Gazette sometime.
              Those guys even have wrenches and screw drivers
              for their HO scale machine shops.

              Many of our structures would not look very good
              in anything else but brass, while other ideas would be
              okay in paper or plastic.
              The main reason that I have not released some of
              my bigger brass Z projects is ...
              well, you said it best.

              I believe that our Zscratch line, on the other hand,
              is quite reasonable.

              Thanks for your notes, they are good arguments.

              I had to break into my long term savings to obtain
              some of AZL's pretty choo choos. But worth every
              penny!

              As I have seen, Z scale is not for the faint-walleted.

              Best regards,

              Reynard
              http://www.micronart.com

              On Thursday, September 1, 2005, at 01:25 PM, randy smidt wrote:

              > Reynard,
              >
              > I am aware of your brass kits as well as Micro-structures' brass kits
              > and the PennZee card stock buildings.
              >
              > I guess I should have said "affordable" urban brick buildings.  While
              > I do plan on using some MicronArt and Micro-Structures kits (and
              > Scratch material, once I get comfortable working on brass), I can't
              > afford to populate a whole series of urban themed modules with this
              > product other than for the up front part of the scenes.  Just building
              > a couple of city blocks would cost in the hundreds of dollars.
              >
              > I have looked at card models as an affordable alternative, but I like
              > to have relief detail and light colored mortar joints on my models.
              > It is difficult to find light colored mortar in card stock kits (most
              > have black lines) and impossible to get the relief detail (at least
              > for the mortar joints, not any relief in the brick work).
              >
              > I would like to see "affordable" plastic brick material or building
              > kits.
              <edited

              > I will say thank you for the scratch product you have produced
              > though.  At least we CAN scratchbuild brick structures now, just not
              > inexpensively for a large volume of structures.
              >
              > Randy Smidt
              > Springfield, VA

              <edited

            • randy smidt
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005
                Reynard,

                Thanks for the comments.

                Great ideas on the mortar lines. I'll have to give that a try.

                Randy Smidt