A hood for SW-1 - My first etched brass model

  • Bill Hoshiko
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
      I have just posted a picture of my first effort at soldering an
      etched brass model. It is the hood of the Zthek SW-1. There are two
      pieces soldered together. First the hood forms the top and two
      sides. The step in the hood must be fashioned by bending the brass
      on grooves that are etched into the brass. No fear of making any
      error in making the folds. It doesn't fit exactly but, when you
      solder it the solder fills any gaps. Filing with a fine modelers
      file smooths everything out. Next, there is the radiator. The
      radiator is folded to form the box that sits in front. The hood has
      nicks etched into the front edge and the radiator has little tabs the
      fit into the nicks. This holds everything together while you solder
      the lot together. No jigs or clamps needed but I used a vise to hold
      the hood steady while I soldered it all together.

      Prior to this, I only soldered electrical wire and rails to make
      turnouts. Whenever I tried to solder two rails for making a code 100
      HO scale frog I could never get the two rails to end up with their
      tops level. I use a method of using a single rail folded back on
      itself inorder to have a one piece frog with both legs at the same
      height.

      Today I have a better soldering iron and better flux. Also I have
      poorer eyesight and less manual dexterity. Next I will attack the
      cab. My photography set up would bring loud sounds of laughter from
      any real photographer.

      The photo is at: files > BH files > two hoods if I remember
      correctly.

      It takes me so long to get the file size down below 50K. I just wish
      that I knew how to use a computer. I have spent a lot of days trying
      to find out how to restore my Yahoo programs. Something is terribley
      wrong there and the Yahoo on my computer is only 50% functional.

      But, how can I complain when there is so much misery in the Gulf
      states. My hopes for a quick solution to all those living in and
      around New Orleans.

      Bill H.
      El Toro, CA
    • Bill Hoshiko
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
        Hi,

        I should have said that it took less then 1 1/2 hours max to cut,
        bend and solder the hood together. Trying to get good photos takes
        me a lot of my time.

        On top of all this, it is fun and there is a bunch of satisfaction in
        doing it. There has been no frustration in assembling the hood.
        Trying to master the camera and to get proper lighting and to post it
        to the group is where all the frustration is.

        The other frustration is watching all the incompetence displayed by
        the elected leaders of the states and cities where all the disaster
        has been hitting. I don't want to blame the Pres. He has too much
        responsibility already. Disasters like this need competent local
        management. The professionals, the police, firemen, doctors, Coast
        Guard, Army, Navy do their jobs but there must be local coordination
        to help the people on the streets. This must come from the elected
        officials who are supposed to be familiar with the local conditions.

        Sorry, there is just so much misery and it is only the begining.

        Bill H.
        El Toro, Ca