Re: [Z_Scale] The CarZtenbahn LIVES!

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1 6:26 AM
      Carsten,

      WOW great layout! Your layout really caught my eye. My first love is Märklin
      European. I like the size and details of the layout. Good job!

      How have we missed you! I was blown away when I say that the layout was on
      display during the GATs in Dayton and Columbus. I had a conflict the week of
      GATs in Columbus, but I thought one of our fellow Z scale members would have come
      across your layout.

      I take it that you are fairly local. If you are interested, I would love to
      have you by the house. My home is always open to fellow Z scalers. I have a
      large German based Z layout and lots of Z scale to be seen. Also, as mentioned,
      we have an active Z scale community including a Z module club. We meet about 1
      a month.

      Keep up the great work!
      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
      www.ztrack.com

    • Joe Krepps
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1 7:30 AM
        Carsten! Does this mean we'll see some Z-scale at next year's EuroEast? :)

        Nice work! We'd be insanely happy to have you back next year!

        mfg,
        Joe Krepps (short, pudgy buyer of your last DVD at EuroEast '05)
        Secretary:Keystone Chapter/European Train Enthusiasts www.ete.org
      • Jeffrey MacHan
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1 7:52 AM
          Hi Carsten,

          Thanks for sharing your terrific Z layout-construction story. I have
          two comments:

          First, tell us when you are planning on taking the CarZtenbahn out for
          a run at train shows. I'm sure that there are many of us who'd love to
          see it in person and show you our moral support with the public.

          Second, you mentioned how much an impact weathering structures had on
          the overall look of the layout. I would humbly suggest that you would
          be thunderstruck by the impact of weathering and ballasting the track.
          Also, it is an easy job to hide the turnout motors using acrylic paint
          and some fine "grass" flock or powder (tape over the actuator openings
          first). Rob Kluz has demonstrated how much better catenary looks when
          it is blackened although you'll have to contact him to get specific
          details on his technique.

          Weathered rails and catenary, ballast, and camouflaged switch motor
          housings make huge differences on any layout and give it that finishing
          touch.

          All the best and hope to see you at a train show some day soon (keep
          NTS 2006 in Philadelphia in mind. It would be great to have you there.)

          Jeffrey MacHan
          Chief Imagineer - VECRR
          http://www.val-ease-central.com

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ulmubi" <cramcke@g...> wrote:
          > Dear fellow Z-scalers,
          >
          > http://www.greateventtours.com/carztenbahn.htm

          > Best Regards,
          >
          > Carsten Ramcke
        • Peter Ibbotson
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1 10:44 AM
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1 1:22 PM
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey MacHan" <jmac_han@y...>
              wrote:
              > Hi Carsten,
              >
              > Thanks for sharing your terrific Z layout-construction story. I
              have
              > two comments:
              >
              > First, tell us when you are planning on taking the CarZtenbahn out
              for
              > a run at train shows. I'm sure that there are many of us who'd
              love to
              > see it in person and show you our moral support with the public.

              Well, Jeffrey, actually the CarZtenbahn goes on eBay this evening. I
              have a nifty idea for a multi-level Swiss layout which lends itself
              well to Z-scale. I plan to use the proceeds from the sale of the
              CarZtenbahn to begin the construction of the new layout. As I
              mentioned elsewhere, I have discovered that, for me, the joy is in
              the journey, not the destination!

              > Second, you mentioned how much an impact weathering structures had
              on
              > the overall look of the layout. I would humbly suggest that you
              would
              > be thunderstruck by the impact of weathering and ballasting the
              track.

              I did consider this, but am not sure I have the patience to use a
              strand or two of horsehair to dirty up the sides of the rails!
              Still, I can agree that it would make a big difference! Perhaps
              something for the next owner...

              > Also, it is an easy job to hide the turnout motors using acrylic
              paint
              > and some fine "grass" flock or powder (tape over the actuator
              openings
              > first). Rob Kluz has demonstrated how much better catenary looks
              when
              > it is blackened although you'll have to contact him to get specific
              > details on his technique.

              I blackened the catenary on my HO layout and was very, very pleased
              with the results, and can imagine it is much more dramatic in Z-scale!

              > Weathered rails and catenary, ballast, and camouflaged switch motor
              > housings make huge differences on any layout and give it that
              finishing
              > touch.

              I agree. I will probably expand the detailing on my next Z-
              adventure... Thanks for the excellent tips and reminders!

              > All the best and hope to see you at a train show some day soon
              (keep
              > NTS 2006 in Philadelphia in mind. It would be great to have you
              there.)

              Since I live in Michigan, I'm very much looking forward to 2007! The
              Great Lakes Chapter of European Train Enthusiasts is planning on
              attending with three layouts, in Z, H.O., and 1-scale... Still, I
              will try and find my way to Philly next year first, perhaps with the
              Swiss layout tucked in the back of my Subaru...

              - Carsten

              > Jeffrey MacHan
              > Chief Imagineer - VECRR
              > http://www.val-ease-central.com
              >
              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ulmubi" <cramcke@g...> wrote:
              > > Dear fellow Z-scalers,
              > >
              > > http://www.greateventtours.com/carztenbahn.htm
              >
              > > Best Regards,
              > >
              > > Carsten Ramcke
            • ulmubi
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1 5:32 PM
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Joe Krepps <occupant@b...> wrote:
                > Carsten! Does this mean we'll see some Z-scale at next year's
                EuroEast? :)

                Joe,

                Maybe. It won't be the CarZtenbahn, but perhaps the next Z-scale
                layout. I have an idea for a Swiss layout that I'll be working on
                over the next few months, also in Z...

                > Nice work! We'd be insanely happy to have you back next year!

                Thanks, Joe! Sorry I couldn't bring the CarZtenbahn this year, but I
                wasn't ready to show it, and I had no way of transporting it (all of
                Jan's stuff was in the back).

                > mfg,
                > Joe Krepps (short, pudgy buyer of your last DVD at EuroEast '05)
                > Secretary:Keystone Chapter/European Train Enthusiasts www.ete.org

                - Carsten (not short, but decidedly pudgy shameless self-promoter)
              • ztrack@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1 5:35 PM
                  Jeffrey is right on. I can't believe the difference painted rail and blacken
                  catenary make on a layout. In the overhead photo on the link below, the
                  catenary and rail in the station area has been weathered. The catenary wire in the
                  front of the photo and track has not been done yet. Big difference!

                  http://www.ztrack.com/RKlayoutpages/kluz_0167.html

                  You will also see I am weathering the building. I love the affect!

                  Rob Kluz

                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                  Dublin, OH 43016
                  phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                  http://www.ztrack.com/
                  Distributor for American Z Line

                • ulmubi
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1 5:39 PM
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Ibbotson" <yahoo@i...> wrote:
                    > Nicely done, however I have one question:

                    Fire away, Peter!

                    > The Woodland scenics water looks good but what is underneath it? Is
                    just
                    > Styrofoam, plaster cloth, a layer of paint (what sort? Acrylic?)
                    then the
                    > water?

                    You can see the styrofoam in the previous pictures. I simply added a
                    couple of layers of plaster cloth over these bits and pieces, then
                    used a simple latex (water based) paint to color the riverbed. I had
                    visions of adding tallus for rocks, but found the appearence to be
                    unrealistic, so I simply poured the mixture right into the basin. I
                    started a bit above and behind the bridge and let the flow around the
                    bridge piers. The result looks quite good, though by no means
                    perfect. Still, it represents a low spot with some standing water
                    quite well...

                    > I'm just about to need to start adding water to my layout this
                    weekend with
                    > a bit of luck but I've been a bit worried about whatever I use
                    escaping out.

                    The stuff dries pretty quickly, so there is little chance of seeping
                    into the cloth. One word of caution: The mixture cools and hardens
                    very rapidly. If you have a way of heating your *disposable*
                    container very close to the layout, so much the better. Heat it
                    until it begins to smoke, then immediately pour into your riverbed /
                    basin / lakebed.

                    > Both plaster cloth and the woodland scenics water I can get over
                    the weekend
                    > and use to get this bit done.

                    The ease of procurement of materials is one reason why I used the
                    materials I did! Good luck!

                    - Carsten