Re: MT log cars and GP35

  • www.zscalemonster.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
      Good morning everybody.

      You all managed to keep me up until 1 AM EST (four hours past my
      bedtime), last night. Wow I can not believe the GP35 mania going on.
      It is great; there has never been such a demand for a Z scale
      product. This is one for the record books. Again, my hat is off to
      MTL for supplying the world with this GP35.

      Now, we all want to know the truth about the Log Cars. Here it is
      right out of the horses mouth.
      MTL sold out of it on August 3rd. They produced twice the number of
      log cars that they would normally produce, of any other style.
      Many on line dealers just have no idea it is sold out and just leave
      it up (it is possible some less traveled sites could still have
      them, anything is possible). Some of my customers are real good at
      scouring the net and if they did not report back to me... they must
      be gone. There are still some popping up on the well known auction
      site but for big $$$.

      I does hurt for me to have to display "OOP, Sold Out" right away as
      I thought for sure I had have plenty. I had the N scale release to
      go by and believe it or not... the Z sold out faster than the 1st N
      scale loc car. No one thought that would be possible. Both Loren
      Snyder and I wish we could go to MTL and work nights... producing
      more log cars for you but the watch dogs would do more work on us.

      So there you have it. Shocking but true. Sad but true.
      Chin up, If they think like they did in N scale... they will be back
      with a different log load in no time. :)

      Best wishes!
      Anthony
      http://www.zscalemonster.com/
    • sgt_tim7
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
        > They produced twice the number of
        > log cars that they would normally produce, of any other style.

        Anthony,

        Just exactly how many cars does MTL "normally" produce?

        An inquiring mind wants to know!

        Tim
      • www.zscalemonster.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
          Tim,

          Now that is a good question!
          I will have to look into how many are produced, on an average run.
          I have a very strong feeling that they will not tell.

          For now,
          Anthony
          http://www.zscalemonster.com/

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:

          > > They produced twice the number of
          > > log cars that they would normally produce, of any other style.
          >

          > Anthony,
          >
          > Just exactly how many cars does MTL "normally" produce?
          >
          > An inquiring mind wants to know!
          >
          > Tim
        • GordonWerner
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
            Ahh ... Thank you Jim for your explanation.

            I have 6 of the little log cars ... with a few more on the way. Considering it is an undecorated
            car I was supprised to see it sold out everywhere ... didn't think supply would be an issue (not
            everyone needs these) ...

            I am seeing the same thing with the BN Husky-Stacks. I have a bunch but they are getting
            harder and harder to find. Hopefully they will release another soon.

            As for production runs ... I would rather MTL learn by erring on the side of caution than to go
            balls-out and be stuck with thousands of units of some uniteresting model.

            They are being smart and are growing this scale slowly, cautiously.

            Gordon
          • dpstripe@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
              In a message dated 9/1/2005 12:03:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, z@...
              writes:
              Ahh ... Thank you Jim for your explanation.

              I have 6 of the little log cars ... with a few more on the way. Considering
              it is an undecorated
              car I was supprised to see it sold out everywhere ... didn't think supply
              would be an issue (not
              everyone needs these) ...

              The thing with a car of this type is that most people that do want them, want
              a few, at least. They make a great "branch line" product. One car full of
              unmilled timber is sort of out of place. A train full coming from a logging camp
              to a mill looks just right.
              Dan S.

            • Vincent Goudreault
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:19:15 -0000
                From: "www.zscalemonster.com" <anthony@...>
                Subject: Re: MT log cars and GP35

                Good morning everybody.

                (...)

                I does hurt for me to have to display "OOP, Sold Out" right away as
                I thought for sure I had have plenty. I had the N scale release to
                go by and believe it or not... the Z sold out faster than the 1st N
                scale loc car. No one thought that would be possible. Both Loren
                Snyder and I wish we could go to MTL and work nights... producing
                more log cars for you but the watch dogs would do more work on us.

                So there you have it. Shocking but true. Sad but true.
                Chin up, If they think like they did in N scale... they will be back
                with a different log load in no time. :)

                Best wishes!
                Anthony
                http://www.zscalemonster.com/

                It may be bad for those who did not get in line early, BUT

                1- MTL didn't exactly destroy the molds, so they can re-release it next
                month
                just as you hinted.
                (correct me if I am wrong, but from the pics I have seen, there is no road
                name/reporting
                number on those log cars. Is this true?)

                2- the speed with which it sold out shows how interested and active a Z
                community there is
                and that can only be an incentive for more new release/models/reprints,
                whatever.
                And this may bring even more interested mannufacturers in the fray.

                All in all, it's all good for most of us.

                By they way, I have another one of those strange questions. As we all know
                (probably) the
                GP-35 (the prototype) was available either as a low short hood or high short
                hood.
                What was housed in the high hood section that expands on the low one? Was
                that volume
                left empty, or was there equipment? And if there was equipment, where was
                it moved to in
                the case of the low hood units?

                CBVG
              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Jim,

                  If that hobby shop has an inside to MTL that Anthony and I don't about, then
                  we'd both give your left arm to know what the inside is? I'm sure Anthony
                  called, and I know for darn sure I did, and Tina said "No way Jose" for any
                  more log cars. New ones will be comming out with new loads, but you take a
                  guess as to when, I give up guessing.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                    If what I've been reading here about the shortage of MT's log cars is
                    true (unavailable/sold out just a day or two after their initial
                    release), then it is rather painfully obvious that MT and its dealer
                    network has little or no real clue about the market it serves. Not a
                    good thing in a time when all firms in the hobby should be clamoring
                    for--and serving--every customer and all the sales they can possibly get.

                    Now it's entirely possible that the reports I've been reading here are
                    not accurately or fully reflecting the actual situation. If so, I
                    apologize for being critical. But if it is true, then MT obviously
                    goofed-up badly, and it is costing them dearly in terms of lost profits.
                  • Jeffrey MacHan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                      Not "lost profits", more like "delayed profits" and "reduced cash flow". I do not really think that Z-scalers will boycott MTL because the log cars are sold out. The next run will likely fly off the shelves.

                      At some point, a run will not sell out so quickly and MTL will change their production calendar as a result. Also, there is a limited supply of purchasing power in the Z-community at any moment. By producing limited runs, MTL allows the consumer base to replenish the bank account for the next batch of goodies! <wink>

                      Cheers,
                      Jeffrey

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Miller" <almiller@v...> wrote:
                      Not a
                      > good thing in a time when all firms in the hobby should be clamoring
                      > for--and serving--every customer and all the sales they can possibly get.
                      But if it is true, then MT obviously
                      > goofed-up badly, and it is costing them dearly in terms of lost profits.
                    • thomascb2004
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                        Since the initial posting about "Discount's" stock, the log car count
                        has dropped from 4 to 1. Still plenty of SP and CP well cars, however.

                        Tom in Dallas
                      • Tom Fisher
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                          1 log car -- not any more.