Re: [Z_Scale] The CarZtenbahn LIVES!

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hello... ...and Good Morning Carsten,

      ...just before I had to leave for my late shift work I found your post
      in the mailbox...

      > In the wee hours of this morning I finished both the construction of
      > and the webpage publishing of my newly completed Z-scale empire,
      > affectionately called the CarZtenbahn after the egomaniac who built
      > it. Feel free to see the construction photos and read the ZLog at:

      It looks really great. And also thank you for your hints about
      weathering and making water... I guess I will use some really old
      camping pots for this work :-) (no need to upset the better half of me
      :-) ).

      What I would like to see and/or read about is how is this layout
      transported to the various shows. Do you have some kind of box to
      secure it in while on the road?

      > Okay, I'm off to collapse into bed...

      I hope you're well rested again for the next adventure :-)

      --
      GreetingZ from the land between the seas..
      Uwe
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        Carsten,

        WOW great layout! Your layout really caught my eye. My first love is Märklin
        European. I like the size and details of the layout. Good job!

        How have we missed you! I was blown away when I say that the layout was on
        display during the GATs in Dayton and Columbus. I had a conflict the week of
        GATs in Columbus, but I thought one of our fellow Z scale members would have come
        across your layout.

        I take it that you are fairly local. If you are interested, I would love to
        have you by the house. My home is always open to fellow Z scalers. I have a
        large German based Z layout and lots of Z scale to be seen. Also, as mentioned,
        we have an active Z scale community including a Z module club. We meet about 1
        a month.

        Keep up the great work!
        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com

      • Joe Krepps
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          Carsten! Does this mean we'll see some Z-scale at next year's EuroEast? :)

          Nice work! We'd be insanely happy to have you back next year!

          mfg,
          Joe Krepps (short, pudgy buyer of your last DVD at EuroEast '05)
          Secretary:Keystone Chapter/European Train Enthusiasts www.ete.org
        • Jeffrey MacHan
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
            Hi Carsten,

            Thanks for sharing your terrific Z layout-construction story. I have
            two comments:

            First, tell us when you are planning on taking the CarZtenbahn out for
            a run at train shows. I'm sure that there are many of us who'd love to
            see it in person and show you our moral support with the public.

            Second, you mentioned how much an impact weathering structures had on
            the overall look of the layout. I would humbly suggest that you would
            be thunderstruck by the impact of weathering and ballasting the track.
            Also, it is an easy job to hide the turnout motors using acrylic paint
            and some fine "grass" flock or powder (tape over the actuator openings
            first). Rob Kluz has demonstrated how much better catenary looks when
            it is blackened although you'll have to contact him to get specific
            details on his technique.

            Weathered rails and catenary, ballast, and camouflaged switch motor
            housings make huge differences on any layout and give it that finishing
            touch.

            All the best and hope to see you at a train show some day soon (keep
            NTS 2006 in Philadelphia in mind. It would be great to have you there.)

            Jeffrey MacHan
            Chief Imagineer - VECRR
            http://www.val-ease-central.com

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ulmubi" <cramcke@g...> wrote:
            > Dear fellow Z-scalers,
            >
            > http://www.greateventtours.com/carztenbahn.htm

            > Best Regards,
            >
            > Carsten Ramcke
          • Peter Ibbotson
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey MacHan" <jmac_han@y...>
                wrote:
                > Hi Carsten,
                >
                > Thanks for sharing your terrific Z layout-construction story. I
                have
                > two comments:
                >
                > First, tell us when you are planning on taking the CarZtenbahn out
                for
                > a run at train shows. I'm sure that there are many of us who'd
                love to
                > see it in person and show you our moral support with the public.

                Well, Jeffrey, actually the CarZtenbahn goes on eBay this evening. I
                have a nifty idea for a multi-level Swiss layout which lends itself
                well to Z-scale. I plan to use the proceeds from the sale of the
                CarZtenbahn to begin the construction of the new layout. As I
                mentioned elsewhere, I have discovered that, for me, the joy is in
                the journey, not the destination!

                > Second, you mentioned how much an impact weathering structures had
                on
                > the overall look of the layout. I would humbly suggest that you
                would
                > be thunderstruck by the impact of weathering and ballasting the
                track.

                I did consider this, but am not sure I have the patience to use a
                strand or two of horsehair to dirty up the sides of the rails!
                Still, I can agree that it would make a big difference! Perhaps
                something for the next owner...

                > Also, it is an easy job to hide the turnout motors using acrylic
                paint
                > and some fine "grass" flock or powder (tape over the actuator
                openings
                > first). Rob Kluz has demonstrated how much better catenary looks
                when
                > it is blackened although you'll have to contact him to get specific
                > details on his technique.

                I blackened the catenary on my HO layout and was very, very pleased
                with the results, and can imagine it is much more dramatic in Z-scale!

                > Weathered rails and catenary, ballast, and camouflaged switch motor
                > housings make huge differences on any layout and give it that
                finishing
                > touch.

                I agree. I will probably expand the detailing on my next Z-
                adventure... Thanks for the excellent tips and reminders!

                > All the best and hope to see you at a train show some day soon
                (keep
                > NTS 2006 in Philadelphia in mind. It would be great to have you
                there.)

                Since I live in Michigan, I'm very much looking forward to 2007! The
                Great Lakes Chapter of European Train Enthusiasts is planning on
                attending with three layouts, in Z, H.O., and 1-scale... Still, I
                will try and find my way to Philly next year first, perhaps with the
                Swiss layout tucked in the back of my Subaru...

                - Carsten

                > Jeffrey MacHan
                > Chief Imagineer - VECRR
                > http://www.val-ease-central.com
                >
                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ulmubi" <cramcke@g...> wrote:
                > > Dear fellow Z-scalers,
                > >
                > > http://www.greateventtours.com/carztenbahn.htm
                >
                > > Best Regards,
                > >
                > > Carsten Ramcke
              • ulmubi
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Joe Krepps <occupant@b...> wrote:
                  > Carsten! Does this mean we'll see some Z-scale at next year's
                  EuroEast? :)

                  Joe,

                  Maybe. It won't be the CarZtenbahn, but perhaps the next Z-scale
                  layout. I have an idea for a Swiss layout that I'll be working on
                  over the next few months, also in Z...

                  > Nice work! We'd be insanely happy to have you back next year!

                  Thanks, Joe! Sorry I couldn't bring the CarZtenbahn this year, but I
                  wasn't ready to show it, and I had no way of transporting it (all of
                  Jan's stuff was in the back).

                  > mfg,
                  > Joe Krepps (short, pudgy buyer of your last DVD at EuroEast '05)
                  > Secretary:Keystone Chapter/European Train Enthusiasts www.ete.org

                  - Carsten (not short, but decidedly pudgy shameless self-promoter)
                • ztrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                    Jeffrey is right on. I can't believe the difference painted rail and blacken
                    catenary make on a layout. In the overhead photo on the link below, the
                    catenary and rail in the station area has been weathered. The catenary wire in the
                    front of the photo and track has not been done yet. Big difference!

                    http://www.ztrack.com/RKlayoutpages/kluz_0167.html

                    You will also see I am weathering the building. I love the affect!

                    Rob Kluz

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    http://www.ztrack.com/
                    Distributor for American Z Line

                  • ulmubi
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Ibbotson" <yahoo@i...> wrote:
                      > Nicely done, however I have one question:

                      Fire away, Peter!

                      > The Woodland scenics water looks good but what is underneath it? Is
                      just
                      > Styrofoam, plaster cloth, a layer of paint (what sort? Acrylic?)
                      then the
                      > water?

                      You can see the styrofoam in the previous pictures. I simply added a
                      couple of layers of plaster cloth over these bits and pieces, then
                      used a simple latex (water based) paint to color the riverbed. I had
                      visions of adding tallus for rocks, but found the appearence to be
                      unrealistic, so I simply poured the mixture right into the basin. I
                      started a bit above and behind the bridge and let the flow around the
                      bridge piers. The result looks quite good, though by no means
                      perfect. Still, it represents a low spot with some standing water
                      quite well...

                      > I'm just about to need to start adding water to my layout this
                      weekend with
                      > a bit of luck but I've been a bit worried about whatever I use
                      escaping out.

                      The stuff dries pretty quickly, so there is little chance of seeping
                      into the cloth. One word of caution: The mixture cools and hardens
                      very rapidly. If you have a way of heating your *disposable*
                      container very close to the layout, so much the better. Heat it
                      until it begins to smoke, then immediately pour into your riverbed /
                      basin / lakebed.

                      > Both plaster cloth and the woodland scenics water I can get over
                      the weekend
                      > and use to get this bit done.

                      The ease of procurement of materials is one reason why I used the
                      materials I did! Good luck!

                      - Carsten