Re: Discount Model Trains - MT log cars

  • jim_manley_alpha_six
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
      GreetingZ Gordon, Adam and Z BeZt o' Z ReZt,

      Gordon, you may not be aware that the log carZ were released only a
      month or so ago, and there are conflicting reportZ that they are no
      longer available from MTL already (similar to the situation with
      almost all of the recent new body style releaseZ over the last year).
      Loren told me he couldn't get them aZ of a couple of weekZ ago, but
      one of our local hobby shopZ here in the SF Bay area said he waZ still
      able to order them just after I had talked to Loren. Anthony at
      ZScaleMonster.com iZ listing them aZ out-of-production and sold-out,
      but some on-line storeZ are still listing them aZ available (e.g.,
      TexNrails.com), but it'Z not clear whether they're actually in-stock.

      MTL'Z marketing "wiZardZ" (and I uZe that term in the loosest possible
      sense) have yet to comprehend what Joe D'Amato haZ been trying to tell
      them - prototype rolling stock like Gunderson Husky container carZ,
      log carZ, tanker carZ, coal and grain hopperZ, autorackZ, centerbeamZ,
      flat carZ, etc., are found in large numberZ (often in one, or at most,
      a few, road nameZ) in what are called unit trainZ (made up of only one
      type of carZ, e.g., a coal drag), or long-distance consists that
      contain a few typeZ of carZ. As such, thoZe of us who like to model
      such trainZ have, and will continue to want to, buy larger numberZ of
      carZ than haZ been true in the past. Joe said that the production of
      the new GP-35s will be three timeZ what waZ orginally planned, due to
      the surpriZing (to MTL, at least) popularity of the recent new car
      typeZ, like the early releaseZ of the Gunderson HuskieZ (one very
      popular road name of which sold out at MTL in one day).

      It'Z likely that some of theZe carZ are being bought on speculation
      (not unlike the recent real estate "boom"), and that they will dribble
      out in ePrey auctionZ. If the dribble iZ slow enough, the speculatorZ
      will make some money (averaging about a 20% return on investment, if
      history iZ any guide, which ain't bad, considering the paltry - if any
      - returnZ from stockZ, bondZ, money marketZ, savingZ accountZ, etc.,
      during the past few yearZ). However, if too many of them were bought
      on speculation and are put up for sale too quickly, Adam Smith's
      "invisible hand of the marketplace" will soon bring priceZ down to a
      nominal level.

      Caveat Emptor, et Carpe Carp (SieZe the Fish).

      All Z BeZt,
      Jim
    • www.zscalemonster.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
        Good morning everybody.

        You all managed to keep me up until 1 AM EST (four hours past my
        bedtime), last night. Wow I can not believe the GP35 mania going on.
        It is great; there has never been such a demand for a Z scale
        product. This is one for the record books. Again, my hat is off to
        MTL for supplying the world with this GP35.

        Now, we all want to know the truth about the Log Cars. Here it is
        right out of the horses mouth.
        MTL sold out of it on August 3rd. They produced twice the number of
        log cars that they would normally produce, of any other style.
        Many on line dealers just have no idea it is sold out and just leave
        it up (it is possible some less traveled sites could still have
        them, anything is possible). Some of my customers are real good at
        scouring the net and if they did not report back to me... they must
        be gone. There are still some popping up on the well known auction
        site but for big $$$.

        I does hurt for me to have to display "OOP, Sold Out" right away as
        I thought for sure I had have plenty. I had the N scale release to
        go by and believe it or not... the Z sold out faster than the 1st N
        scale loc car. No one thought that would be possible. Both Loren
        Snyder and I wish we could go to MTL and work nights... producing
        more log cars for you but the watch dogs would do more work on us.

        So there you have it. Shocking but true. Sad but true.
        Chin up, If they think like they did in N scale... they will be back
        with a different log load in no time. :)

        Best wishes!
        Anthony
        http://www.zscalemonster.com/
      • sgt_tim7
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
          > They produced twice the number of
          > log cars that they would normally produce, of any other style.

          Anthony,

          Just exactly how many cars does MTL "normally" produce?

          An inquiring mind wants to know!

          Tim
        • www.zscalemonster.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
            Tim,

            Now that is a good question!
            I will have to look into how many are produced, on an average run.
            I have a very strong feeling that they will not tell.

            For now,
            Anthony
            http://www.zscalemonster.com/

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:

            > > They produced twice the number of
            > > log cars that they would normally produce, of any other style.
            >

            > Anthony,
            >
            > Just exactly how many cars does MTL "normally" produce?
            >
            > An inquiring mind wants to know!
            >
            > Tim
          • GordonWerner
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
              Ahh ... Thank you Jim for your explanation.

              I have 6 of the little log cars ... with a few more on the way. Considering it is an undecorated
              car I was supprised to see it sold out everywhere ... didn't think supply would be an issue (not
              everyone needs these) ...

              I am seeing the same thing with the BN Husky-Stacks. I have a bunch but they are getting
              harder and harder to find. Hopefully they will release another soon.

              As for production runs ... I would rather MTL learn by erring on the side of caution than to go
              balls-out and be stuck with thousands of units of some uniteresting model.

              They are being smart and are growing this scale slowly, cautiously.

              Gordon
            • dpstripe@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                In a message dated 9/1/2005 12:03:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, z@...
                writes:
                Ahh ... Thank you Jim for your explanation.

                I have 6 of the little log cars ... with a few more on the way. Considering
                it is an undecorated
                car I was supprised to see it sold out everywhere ... didn't think supply
                would be an issue (not
                everyone needs these) ...

                The thing with a car of this type is that most people that do want them, want
                a few, at least. They make a great "branch line" product. One car full of
                unmilled timber is sort of out of place. A train full coming from a logging camp
                to a mill looks just right.
                Dan S.

              • Vincent Goudreault
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:19:15 -0000
                  From: "www.zscalemonster.com" <anthony@...>
                  Subject: Re: MT log cars and GP35

                  Good morning everybody.

                  (...)

                  I does hurt for me to have to display "OOP, Sold Out" right away as
                  I thought for sure I had have plenty. I had the N scale release to
                  go by and believe it or not... the Z sold out faster than the 1st N
                  scale loc car. No one thought that would be possible. Both Loren
                  Snyder and I wish we could go to MTL and work nights... producing
                  more log cars for you but the watch dogs would do more work on us.

                  So there you have it. Shocking but true. Sad but true.
                  Chin up, If they think like they did in N scale... they will be back
                  with a different log load in no time. :)

                  Best wishes!
                  Anthony
                  http://www.zscalemonster.com/

                  It may be bad for those who did not get in line early, BUT

                  1- MTL didn't exactly destroy the molds, so they can re-release it next
                  month
                  just as you hinted.
                  (correct me if I am wrong, but from the pics I have seen, there is no road
                  name/reporting
                  number on those log cars. Is this true?)

                  2- the speed with which it sold out shows how interested and active a Z
                  community there is
                  and that can only be an incentive for more new release/models/reprints,
                  whatever.
                  And this may bring even more interested mannufacturers in the fray.

                  All in all, it's all good for most of us.

                  By they way, I have another one of those strange questions. As we all know
                  (probably) the
                  GP-35 (the prototype) was available either as a low short hood or high short
                  hood.
                  What was housed in the high hood section that expands on the low one? Was
                  that volume
                  left empty, or was there equipment? And if there was equipment, where was
                  it moved to in
                  the case of the low hood units?

                  CBVG
                • Loren Snyder
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                    Jim,

                    If that hobby shop has an inside to MTL that Anthony and I don't about, then
                    we'd both give your left arm to know what the inside is? I'm sure Anthony
                    called, and I know for darn sure I did, and Tina said "No way Jose" for any
                    more log cars. New ones will be comming out with new loads, but you take a
                    guess as to when, I give up guessing.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                      If what I've been reading here about the shortage of MT's log cars is
                      true (unavailable/sold out just a day or two after their initial
                      release), then it is rather painfully obvious that MT and its dealer
                      network has little or no real clue about the market it serves. Not a
                      good thing in a time when all firms in the hobby should be clamoring
                      for--and serving--every customer and all the sales they can possibly get.

                      Now it's entirely possible that the reports I've been reading here are
                      not accurately or fully reflecting the actual situation. If so, I
                      apologize for being critical. But if it is true, then MT obviously
                      goofed-up badly, and it is costing them dearly in terms of lost profits.
                    • Jeffrey MacHan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                        Not "lost profits", more like "delayed profits" and "reduced cash flow". I do not really think that Z-scalers will boycott MTL because the log cars are sold out. The next run will likely fly off the shelves.

                        At some point, a run will not sell out so quickly and MTL will change their production calendar as a result. Also, there is a limited supply of purchasing power in the Z-community at any moment. By producing limited runs, MTL allows the consumer base to replenish the bank account for the next batch of goodies! <wink>

                        Cheers,
                        Jeffrey

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Miller" <almiller@v...> wrote:
                        Not a
                        > good thing in a time when all firms in the hobby should be clamoring
                        > for--and serving--every customer and all the sales they can possibly get.
                        But if it is true, then MT obviously
                        > goofed-up badly, and it is costing them dearly in terms of lost profits.
                      • thomascb2004
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                          Since the initial posting about "Discount's" stock, the log car count
                          has dropped from 4 to 1. Still plenty of SP and CP well cars, however.

                          Tom in Dallas
                        • Tom Fisher
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                            1 log car -- not any more.