The CarZtenbahn LIVES!

  • ulmubi
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      Dear fellow Z-scalers,

      In the wee hours of this morning I finished both the construction of
      and the webpage publishing of my newly completed Z-scale empire,
      affectionately called the CarZtenbahn after the egomaniac who built
      it. Feel free to see the construction photos and read the ZLog at:

      http://www.greateventtours.com/carztenbahn.htm

      Okay, I'm off to collapse into bed...

      Best Regards,

      Carsten Ramcke
      (admitted egomaniac)
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        Hello... ...and Good Morning Carsten,

        ...just before I had to leave for my late shift work I found your post
        in the mailbox...

        > In the wee hours of this morning I finished both the construction of
        > and the webpage publishing of my newly completed Z-scale empire,
        > affectionately called the CarZtenbahn after the egomaniac who built
        > it. Feel free to see the construction photos and read the ZLog at:

        It looks really great. And also thank you for your hints about
        weathering and making water... I guess I will use some really old
        camping pots for this work :-) (no need to upset the better half of me
        :-) ).

        What I would like to see and/or read about is how is this layout
        transported to the various shows. Do you have some kind of box to
        secure it in while on the road?

        > Okay, I'm off to collapse into bed...

        I hope you're well rested again for the next adventure :-)

        --
        GreetingZ from the land between the seas..
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          Carsten,

          WOW great layout! Your layout really caught my eye. My first love is Märklin
          European. I like the size and details of the layout. Good job!

          How have we missed you! I was blown away when I say that the layout was on
          display during the GATs in Dayton and Columbus. I had a conflict the week of
          GATs in Columbus, but I thought one of our fellow Z scale members would have come
          across your layout.

          I take it that you are fairly local. If you are interested, I would love to
          have you by the house. My home is always open to fellow Z scalers. I have a
          large German based Z layout and lots of Z scale to be seen. Also, as mentioned,
          we have an active Z scale community including a Z module club. We meet about 1
          a month.

          Keep up the great work!
          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com

        • Joe Krepps
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
            Carsten! Does this mean we'll see some Z-scale at next year's EuroEast? :)

            Nice work! We'd be insanely happy to have you back next year!

            mfg,
            Joe Krepps (short, pudgy buyer of your last DVD at EuroEast '05)
            Secretary:Keystone Chapter/European Train Enthusiasts www.ete.org
          • Jeffrey MacHan
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
              Hi Carsten,

              Thanks for sharing your terrific Z layout-construction story. I have
              two comments:

              First, tell us when you are planning on taking the CarZtenbahn out for
              a run at train shows. I'm sure that there are many of us who'd love to
              see it in person and show you our moral support with the public.

              Second, you mentioned how much an impact weathering structures had on
              the overall look of the layout. I would humbly suggest that you would
              be thunderstruck by the impact of weathering and ballasting the track.
              Also, it is an easy job to hide the turnout motors using acrylic paint
              and some fine "grass" flock or powder (tape over the actuator openings
              first). Rob Kluz has demonstrated how much better catenary looks when
              it is blackened although you'll have to contact him to get specific
              details on his technique.

              Weathered rails and catenary, ballast, and camouflaged switch motor
              housings make huge differences on any layout and give it that finishing
              touch.

              All the best and hope to see you at a train show some day soon (keep
              NTS 2006 in Philadelphia in mind. It would be great to have you there.)

              Jeffrey MacHan
              Chief Imagineer - VECRR
              http://www.val-ease-central.com

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ulmubi" <cramcke@g...> wrote:
              > Dear fellow Z-scalers,
              >
              > http://www.greateventtours.com/carztenbahn.htm

              > Best Regards,
              >
              > Carsten Ramcke
            • Peter Ibbotson
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey MacHan" <jmac_han@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hi Carsten,
                  >
                  > Thanks for sharing your terrific Z layout-construction story. I
                  have
                  > two comments:
                  >
                  > First, tell us when you are planning on taking the CarZtenbahn out
                  for
                  > a run at train shows. I'm sure that there are many of us who'd
                  love to
                  > see it in person and show you our moral support with the public.

                  Well, Jeffrey, actually the CarZtenbahn goes on eBay this evening. I
                  have a nifty idea for a multi-level Swiss layout which lends itself
                  well to Z-scale. I plan to use the proceeds from the sale of the
                  CarZtenbahn to begin the construction of the new layout. As I
                  mentioned elsewhere, I have discovered that, for me, the joy is in
                  the journey, not the destination!

                  > Second, you mentioned how much an impact weathering structures had
                  on
                  > the overall look of the layout. I would humbly suggest that you
                  would
                  > be thunderstruck by the impact of weathering and ballasting the
                  track.

                  I did consider this, but am not sure I have the patience to use a
                  strand or two of horsehair to dirty up the sides of the rails!
                  Still, I can agree that it would make a big difference! Perhaps
                  something for the next owner...

                  > Also, it is an easy job to hide the turnout motors using acrylic
                  paint
                  > and some fine "grass" flock or powder (tape over the actuator
                  openings
                  > first). Rob Kluz has demonstrated how much better catenary looks
                  when
                  > it is blackened although you'll have to contact him to get specific
                  > details on his technique.

                  I blackened the catenary on my HO layout and was very, very pleased
                  with the results, and can imagine it is much more dramatic in Z-scale!

                  > Weathered rails and catenary, ballast, and camouflaged switch motor
                  > housings make huge differences on any layout and give it that
                  finishing
                  > touch.

                  I agree. I will probably expand the detailing on my next Z-
                  adventure... Thanks for the excellent tips and reminders!

                  > All the best and hope to see you at a train show some day soon
                  (keep
                  > NTS 2006 in Philadelphia in mind. It would be great to have you
                  there.)

                  Since I live in Michigan, I'm very much looking forward to 2007! The
                  Great Lakes Chapter of European Train Enthusiasts is planning on
                  attending with three layouts, in Z, H.O., and 1-scale... Still, I
                  will try and find my way to Philly next year first, perhaps with the
                  Swiss layout tucked in the back of my Subaru...

                  - Carsten

                  > Jeffrey MacHan
                  > Chief Imagineer - VECRR
                  > http://www.val-ease-central.com
                  >
                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ulmubi" <cramcke@g...> wrote:
                  > > Dear fellow Z-scalers,
                  > >
                  > > http://www.greateventtours.com/carztenbahn.htm
                  >
                  > > Best Regards,
                  > >
                  > > Carsten Ramcke
                • ulmubi
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Joe Krepps <occupant@b...> wrote:
                    > Carsten! Does this mean we'll see some Z-scale at next year's
                    EuroEast? :)

                    Joe,

                    Maybe. It won't be the CarZtenbahn, but perhaps the next Z-scale
                    layout. I have an idea for a Swiss layout that I'll be working on
                    over the next few months, also in Z...

                    > Nice work! We'd be insanely happy to have you back next year!

                    Thanks, Joe! Sorry I couldn't bring the CarZtenbahn this year, but I
                    wasn't ready to show it, and I had no way of transporting it (all of
                    Jan's stuff was in the back).

                    > mfg,
                    > Joe Krepps (short, pudgy buyer of your last DVD at EuroEast '05)
                    > Secretary:Keystone Chapter/European Train Enthusiasts www.ete.org

                    - Carsten (not short, but decidedly pudgy shameless self-promoter)
                  • ztrack@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                      Jeffrey is right on. I can't believe the difference painted rail and blacken
                      catenary make on a layout. In the overhead photo on the link below, the
                      catenary and rail in the station area has been weathered. The catenary wire in the
                      front of the photo and track has not been done yet. Big difference!

                      http://www.ztrack.com/RKlayoutpages/kluz_0167.html

                      You will also see I am weathering the building. I love the affect!

                      Rob Kluz

                      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                      Dublin, OH 43016
                      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                      http://www.ztrack.com/
                      Distributor for American Z Line

                    • ulmubi
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Ibbotson" <yahoo@i...> wrote:
                        > Nicely done, however I have one question:

                        Fire away, Peter!

                        > The Woodland scenics water looks good but what is underneath it? Is
                        just
                        > Styrofoam, plaster cloth, a layer of paint (what sort? Acrylic?)
                        then the
                        > water?

                        You can see the styrofoam in the previous pictures. I simply added a
                        couple of layers of plaster cloth over these bits and pieces, then
                        used a simple latex (water based) paint to color the riverbed. I had
                        visions of adding tallus for rocks, but found the appearence to be
                        unrealistic, so I simply poured the mixture right into the basin. I
                        started a bit above and behind the bridge and let the flow around the
                        bridge piers. The result looks quite good, though by no means
                        perfect. Still, it represents a low spot with some standing water
                        quite well...

                        > I'm just about to need to start adding water to my layout this
                        weekend with
                        > a bit of luck but I've been a bit worried about whatever I use
                        escaping out.

                        The stuff dries pretty quickly, so there is little chance of seeping
                        into the cloth. One word of caution: The mixture cools and hardens
                        very rapidly. If you have a way of heating your *disposable*
                        container very close to the layout, so much the better. Heat it
                        until it begins to smoke, then immediately pour into your riverbed /
                        basin / lakebed.

                        > Both plaster cloth and the woodland scenics water I can get over
                        the weekend
                        > and use to get this bit done.

                        The ease of procurement of materials is one reason why I used the
                        materials I did! Good luck!

                        - Carsten