Re: Discount Model Trains - MT log cars

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
      I had heard rumblings that they were in short supply already.

      Adam

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "GordonWerner" <z@w...> wrote:
      > what's the deal with the log cars?
      >
      > are they rare? hard to get?
      >
      > I keep hearing that they are "available" as if that was BIG news ...

    • jim_manley_alpha_six
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
        GreetingZ Gordon, Adam and Z BeZt o' Z ReZt,

        Gordon, you may not be aware that the log carZ were released only a
        month or so ago, and there are conflicting reportZ that they are no
        longer available from MTL already (similar to the situation with
        almost all of the recent new body style releaseZ over the last year).
        Loren told me he couldn't get them aZ of a couple of weekZ ago, but
        one of our local hobby shopZ here in the SF Bay area said he waZ still
        able to order them just after I had talked to Loren. Anthony at
        ZScaleMonster.com iZ listing them aZ out-of-production and sold-out,
        but some on-line storeZ are still listing them aZ available (e.g.,
        TexNrails.com), but it'Z not clear whether they're actually in-stock.

        MTL'Z marketing "wiZardZ" (and I uZe that term in the loosest possible
        sense) have yet to comprehend what Joe D'Amato haZ been trying to tell
        them - prototype rolling stock like Gunderson Husky container carZ,
        log carZ, tanker carZ, coal and grain hopperZ, autorackZ, centerbeamZ,
        flat carZ, etc., are found in large numberZ (often in one, or at most,
        a few, road nameZ) in what are called unit trainZ (made up of only one
        type of carZ, e.g., a coal drag), or long-distance consists that
        contain a few typeZ of carZ. As such, thoZe of us who like to model
        such trainZ have, and will continue to want to, buy larger numberZ of
        carZ than haZ been true in the past. Joe said that the production of
        the new GP-35s will be three timeZ what waZ orginally planned, due to
        the surpriZing (to MTL, at least) popularity of the recent new car
        typeZ, like the early releaseZ of the Gunderson HuskieZ (one very
        popular road name of which sold out at MTL in one day).

        It'Z likely that some of theZe carZ are being bought on speculation
        (not unlike the recent real estate "boom"), and that they will dribble
        out in ePrey auctionZ. If the dribble iZ slow enough, the speculatorZ
        will make some money (averaging about a 20% return on investment, if
        history iZ any guide, which ain't bad, considering the paltry - if any
        - returnZ from stockZ, bondZ, money marketZ, savingZ accountZ, etc.,
        during the past few yearZ). However, if too many of them were bought
        on speculation and are put up for sale too quickly, Adam Smith's
        "invisible hand of the marketplace" will soon bring priceZ down to a
        nominal level.

        Caveat Emptor, et Carpe Carp (SieZe the Fish).

        All Z BeZt,
        Jim
      • www.zscalemonster.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
          Good morning everybody.

          You all managed to keep me up until 1 AM EST (four hours past my
          bedtime), last night. Wow I can not believe the GP35 mania going on.
          It is great; there has never been such a demand for a Z scale
          product. This is one for the record books. Again, my hat is off to
          MTL for supplying the world with this GP35.

          Now, we all want to know the truth about the Log Cars. Here it is
          right out of the horses mouth.
          MTL sold out of it on August 3rd. They produced twice the number of
          log cars that they would normally produce, of any other style.
          Many on line dealers just have no idea it is sold out and just leave
          it up (it is possible some less traveled sites could still have
          them, anything is possible). Some of my customers are real good at
          scouring the net and if they did not report back to me... they must
          be gone. There are still some popping up on the well known auction
          site but for big $$$.

          I does hurt for me to have to display "OOP, Sold Out" right away as
          I thought for sure I had have plenty. I had the N scale release to
          go by and believe it or not... the Z sold out faster than the 1st N
          scale loc car. No one thought that would be possible. Both Loren
          Snyder and I wish we could go to MTL and work nights... producing
          more log cars for you but the watch dogs would do more work on us.

          So there you have it. Shocking but true. Sad but true.
          Chin up, If they think like they did in N scale... they will be back
          with a different log load in no time. :)

          Best wishes!
          Anthony
          http://www.zscalemonster.com/
        • sgt_tim7
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
            > They produced twice the number of
            > log cars that they would normally produce, of any other style.

            Anthony,

            Just exactly how many cars does MTL "normally" produce?

            An inquiring mind wants to know!

            Tim
          • www.zscalemonster.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
              Tim,

              Now that is a good question!
              I will have to look into how many are produced, on an average run.
              I have a very strong feeling that they will not tell.

              For now,
              Anthony
              http://www.zscalemonster.com/

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:

              > > They produced twice the number of
              > > log cars that they would normally produce, of any other style.
              >

              > Anthony,
              >
              > Just exactly how many cars does MTL "normally" produce?
              >
              > An inquiring mind wants to know!
              >
              > Tim
            • GordonWerner
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                Ahh ... Thank you Jim for your explanation.

                I have 6 of the little log cars ... with a few more on the way. Considering it is an undecorated
                car I was supprised to see it sold out everywhere ... didn't think supply would be an issue (not
                everyone needs these) ...

                I am seeing the same thing with the BN Husky-Stacks. I have a bunch but they are getting
                harder and harder to find. Hopefully they will release another soon.

                As for production runs ... I would rather MTL learn by erring on the side of caution than to go
                balls-out and be stuck with thousands of units of some uniteresting model.

                They are being smart and are growing this scale slowly, cautiously.

                Gordon
              • dpstripe@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                  In a message dated 9/1/2005 12:03:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, z@...
                  writes:
                  Ahh ... Thank you Jim for your explanation.

                  I have 6 of the little log cars ... with a few more on the way. Considering
                  it is an undecorated
                  car I was supprised to see it sold out everywhere ... didn't think supply
                  would be an issue (not
                  everyone needs these) ...

                  The thing with a car of this type is that most people that do want them, want
                  a few, at least. They make a great "branch line" product. One car full of
                  unmilled timber is sort of out of place. A train full coming from a logging camp
                  to a mill looks just right.
                  Dan S.

                • Vincent Goudreault
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                    Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:19:15 -0000
                    From: "www.zscalemonster.com" <anthony@...>
                    Subject: Re: MT log cars and GP35

                    Good morning everybody.

                    (...)

                    I does hurt for me to have to display "OOP, Sold Out" right away as
                    I thought for sure I had have plenty. I had the N scale release to
                    go by and believe it or not... the Z sold out faster than the 1st N
                    scale loc car. No one thought that would be possible. Both Loren
                    Snyder and I wish we could go to MTL and work nights... producing
                    more log cars for you but the watch dogs would do more work on us.

                    So there you have it. Shocking but true. Sad but true.
                    Chin up, If they think like they did in N scale... they will be back
                    with a different log load in no time. :)

                    Best wishes!
                    Anthony
                    http://www.zscalemonster.com/

                    It may be bad for those who did not get in line early, BUT

                    1- MTL didn't exactly destroy the molds, so they can re-release it next
                    month
                    just as you hinted.
                    (correct me if I am wrong, but from the pics I have seen, there is no road
                    name/reporting
                    number on those log cars. Is this true?)

                    2- the speed with which it sold out shows how interested and active a Z
                    community there is
                    and that can only be an incentive for more new release/models/reprints,
                    whatever.
                    And this may bring even more interested mannufacturers in the fray.

                    All in all, it's all good for most of us.

                    By they way, I have another one of those strange questions. As we all know
                    (probably) the
                    GP-35 (the prototype) was available either as a low short hood or high short
                    hood.
                    What was housed in the high hood section that expands on the low one? Was
                    that volume
                    left empty, or was there equipment? And if there was equipment, where was
                    it moved to in
                    the case of the low hood units?

                    CBVG
                  • Loren Snyder
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                      Jim,

                      If that hobby shop has an inside to MTL that Anthony and I don't about, then
                      we'd both give your left arm to know what the inside is? I'm sure Anthony
                      called, and I know for darn sure I did, and Tina said "No way Jose" for any
                      more log cars. New ones will be comming out with new loads, but you take a
                      guess as to when, I give up guessing.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                        If what I've been reading here about the shortage of MT's log cars is
                        true (unavailable/sold out just a day or two after their initial
                        release), then it is rather painfully obvious that MT and its dealer
                        network has little or no real clue about the market it serves. Not a
                        good thing in a time when all firms in the hobby should be clamoring
                        for--and serving--every customer and all the sales they can possibly get.

                        Now it's entirely possible that the reports I've been reading here are
                        not accurately or fully reflecting the actual situation. If so, I
                        apologize for being critical. But if it is true, then MT obviously
                        goofed-up badly, and it is costing them dearly in terms of lost profits.
                      • Jeffrey MacHan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                          Not "lost profits", more like "delayed profits" and "reduced cash flow". I do not really think that Z-scalers will boycott MTL because the log cars are sold out. The next run will likely fly off the shelves.

                          At some point, a run will not sell out so quickly and MTL will change their production calendar as a result. Also, there is a limited supply of purchasing power in the Z-community at any moment. By producing limited runs, MTL allows the consumer base to replenish the bank account for the next batch of goodies! <wink>

                          Cheers,
                          Jeffrey

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Miller" <almiller@v...> wrote:
                          Not a
                          > good thing in a time when all firms in the hobby should be clamoring
                          > for--and serving--every customer and all the sales they can possibly get.
                          But if it is true, then MT obviously
                          > goofed-up badly, and it is costing them dearly in terms of lost profits.
                        • thomascb2004
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                            Since the initial posting about "Discount's" stock, the log car count
                            has dropped from 4 to 1. Still plenty of SP and CP well cars, however.

                            Tom in Dallas
                          • Tom Fisher
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                              1 log car -- not any more.