Question for Joe DAmato

  • Eric Menzel
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 29, 2005
      Joe,

      Are there any published dimensioned drawings of MTL Z-scale roller
      bearing trucks w/couplers? I'm in the process of milling some brass
      masters of various cars, and would like to position the bolsters
      correctly.

      Also, are there any plans in the works for 36" wheels? Modern tank
      cars and hoppers just look better with the larger wheelsets.

      Thanks,

      Eric P. Menzel
      www.edmodels.com
      (The one with the handlaid Code 40 turnouts at NTS)
    • randy smidt
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 30, 2005
        Eric,

        "Milling brass masters of various cars", can you share more info with us?

        Modern Tank Cars and Hoppers?

        When will you have more turnouts ready. I saw them at NTS and they looked great, but I had no idea you were selling them for just $20! Did you do any (or have plans to do any) in code 55? I know the code 40 looks better, but the majority of other track systems out there for Z scale still use code 55-60.

        Thanks,
        Randy Smidt
        Springfield, VA

        Eric Menzel <epmenzel@...> wrote:
        Joe,

        Are there any published dimensioned drawings of MTL Z-scale roller
        bearing trucks w/couplers? I'm in the process of milling some brass
        masters of various cars, and would like to position the bolsters
        correctly.

        Also, are there any plans in the works for 36" wheels? Modern tank
        cars and hoppers just look better with the larger wheelsets.

        Thanks,

        Eric P. Menzel
        www.edmodels.com
        (The one with the handlaid Code 40 turnouts at NTS)

      • GordonWerner
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2005
          yes ... inquiring minds want to know!

          someone is already making 36' and 50' tank cars ... the fist is the 50' lettered for GATX ...

          http://hometown.aol.de/kurtulueck/TankCar/3RWorks%20Tank%20CarE.htm

          Gordon

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:
          > Eric,
          >
          > "Milling brass masters of various cars", can you share more info with us?
          >
          > Modern Tank Cars and Hoppers?
          >
          > When will you have more turnouts ready. I saw them at NTS and they looked great, but I
          had no idea you were selling them for just $20! Did you do any (or have plans to do any)
          in code 55? I know the code 40 looks better, but the majority of other track systems out
          there for Z scale still use code 55-60.

          > Thanks,
          > Randy Smidt
          > Springfield, VA
          >
          > Eric Menzel <epmenzel@y...> wrote:
          > Joe,
          >
          > Are there any published dimensioned drawings of MTL Z-scale roller
          > bearing trucks w/couplers? I'm in the process of milling some brass
          > masters of various cars, and would like to position the bolsters
          > correctly.
          >
          > Also, are there any plans in the works for 36" wheels? Modern tank
          > cars and hoppers just look better with the larger wheelsets.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Eric P. Menzel
          > www.edmodels.com
          > (The one with the handlaid Code 40 turnouts at NTS)

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Eric Menzel
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
            Randy,

            I have many projects in the works as far as modern freight is
            concerned. I don't want to build up too much expectation, but I will
            be sure to announce projects as they are released for production. I
            have purchased a CNC mini mill and have been working on brass masters
            to mold and cast resin copies from. I have also quoted and demo'ed a
            CO2 laser and currently have my brother working on designs for
            modern urban acrylic buildings and other various industries.

            One goal that I will let out is to produce a blast furnace and other
            steel industry buildings, as well as hot metal bottle and ingot
            cars. But details will be officially announced at a later time.

            As far as turnouts. I understand that Code55-60 is the standard as
            far as compatibility with current production track. I have been
            working with a company that extrudes soft metals, such as nickel-
            silver, trying to produce a die that will extrude rail at around a
            code 45. This way it should mate with code 55-60, as well as code
            40, with minor amounts of filing, and yet preserve the better looks.
            Again, I will release more details as more information comes in, and
            as soon as I can post the updated website to the web.

            Hope this helps...

            Thanks,
            Eric P. Menzel

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:
            > Eric,
            >
            > "Milling brass masters of various cars", can you share more info
            with us?

            > Modern Tank Cars and Hoppers?
            >
            > When will you have more turnouts ready. I saw them at NTS and they
            looked great, but I had no idea you were selling them for just $20!
            Did you do any (or have plans to do any) in code 55? I know the code
            40 looks better, but the majority of other track systems out there
            for Z scale still use code 55-60.

            > Thanks,
            > Randy Smidt
            > Springfield, VA
          • randy smidt
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
              Eric,

              Thanks for the reply and info.

              I know I am definitely interested in the urban buildings. Any plans to include brick structures? I personally think that brick is the hardest building material to try to model in Z scale. Other types of materials are easier to model using n-scale materials or completely from scratch. That doesn't really work with something like brick that has a standardized dimension though.

              Randy Smidt
              Springfield, VA

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt wrote:
              > Eric,
              >
              > "Milling brass masters of various cars", can you share more info
              with us?

              > Modern Tank Cars and Hoppers?
              >
              > When will you have more turnouts ready. I saw them at NTS and they
              looked great, but I had no idea you were selling them for just $20!
              Did you do any (or have plans to do any) in code 55? I know the code
              40 looks better, but the majority of other track systems out there
              for Z scale still use code 55-60.

              > Thanks,
              > Randy Smidt
              > Springfield, VA

            • Reynard Wellman
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                Hello Randy and All Zeds,

                Urban buildings in Z are one of our specialties.
                We have the following:
                #1099 Late 19th Century Factory or Warehouse
                #1015 Capital City Depot
                #1011 Metal Foundry
                #1009 Switch Tower
                #1049 Yard Buildings
                #1001REVA, a new version of our Water Station
                #1003 Coaling Tipple
                Plus all of the PennZee Commercial and Industrial
                buildings as well as our designed brass detail
                enhancements for them.

                Many of these buildings are "brick" and since this is
                an open forum, I decided to pipe up.

                Thanks for your attention,
                Reynard
                http://www.micronart.com
                On Thursday, September 1, 2005, at 12:11 PM, randy smidt wrote:

                > Eric,
                >
                > Thanks for the reply and info.
                >
                > I know I am definitely interested in the urban buildings.  Any plans
                > to include brick structures?  I personally think that brick is the
                > hardest building material to try to model in Z scale.  Other types of
                > materials are easier to model using n-scale materials or completely
                > from scratch.  That doesn't really work with something like brick that
                > has a standardized dimension though.
                >
                > Randy Smidt
                > Springfield, VA
                >

                > Eric Menzel <epmenzel@...> wrote:
                > Randy,
                >
                > I have many projects in the works as far as modern freight is
                > concerned. I don't want to build up too much expectation, but I will
                > be sure to announce projects as they are released for production. I
                > have purchased a CNC mini mill and have been working on brass masters
                > to mold and cast resin copies from. I have also quoted and demo'ed a
                > CO2 laser and currently have my brother working on designs for
                > modern urban acrylic buildings and other various industries.
                >
                > One goal that I will let out is to produce a blast furnace and other
                > steel industry buildings, as well as hot metal bottle and ingot
                > cars. But details will be officially announced at a later time.
                >
                > As far as turnouts. I understand that Code55-60 is the standard as
                > far as compatibility with current production track. I have been
                > working with a company that extrudes soft metals, such as nickel-
                > silver, trying to produce a die that will extrude rail at around a
                > code 45. This way it should mate with code 55-60, as well as code
                > 40, with minor amounts of filing, and yet preserve the better looks.
                > Again, I will release more details as more information comes in, and
                > as soon as I can post the updated website to the web.
                >
                > Hope this helps...
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Eric P. Menzel
                >

                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt wrote:
                > > Eric,
                > >
                > > "Milling brass masters of various cars", can you share more info
                > with us?
                > >
                > > Modern Tank Cars and Hoppers?
                > >
                > > When will you have more turnouts ready. I saw them at NTS and they
                > looked great, but I had no idea you were selling them for just $20!
                > Did you do any (or have plans to do any) in code 55? I know the code
                > 40 looks better, but the majority of other track systems out there
                > for Z scale still use code 55-60.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Randy Smidt
                > > Springfield, VA

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > -Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!

                <image.tiff>

                <image.tiff>

                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >
                > +  Visit your group "z_scale" on the web.

                <image.tiff>

              • randy smidt
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Reynard,

                  I am aware of your brass kits as well as Micro-structures' brass kits and the PennZee card stock buildings.

                  I guess I should have said "affordable" urban brick buildings. While I do plan on using some MicronArt and Micro-Structures kits (and Scratch material, once I get comfortable working on brass), I can't afford to populate a whole series of urban themed modules with this product other than for the up front part of the scenes. Just building a couple of city blocks would cost in the hundreds of dollars.

                  I have looked at card models as an affordable alternative, but I like to have relief detail and light colored mortar joints on my models. It is difficult to find light colored mortar in card stock kits (most have black lines) and impossible to get the relief detail (at least for the mortar joints, not any relief in the brick work).

                  I would like to see "affordable" plastic brick material or building kits.

                  No offense Reynard, but brass has uses it is well suited for and other uses that it is not well suited for. Building a select few really nicely detailed structures is great. Building a few city blocks worth of multi-story urban buildings would cost too much for most people, even if you had the ability to etch the brass yourself.

                  I can stratchbuild stone, wood and concrete buildings with inexpensive materials. That is not yet possible with brick in Z scale. That's why some of us keep ranting about this topic every year.

                  I will say thank you for the scratch product you have produced though. At least we CAN scratchbuild brick structures now, just not inexpensively for a large volume of structures.

                  Randy Smidt
                  Springfield, VA

                  #1099 Late 19th Century Factory or Warehouse
                  #1015 Capital City Depot
                  #1011 Metal Foundry
                  #1009 Switch Tower
                  #1049 Yard Buildings
                  #1001REVA, a new version of our Water Station
                  #1003 Coaling Tipple
> [...]

                  > > Eric,
                  > >
                  > > "Milling brass masters of various cars", can you share more info
                  > with us?
                  > >
                  > > Modern Tank Cars and Hoppers?
                  > >
                  > > When will you have more turnouts ready. I saw them at NTS and they
                  > looked great, but I had no idea you were selling them for just $20!
                  > Did you do any (or have plans to do any) in code 55? I know the code
                  > 40 looks better, but the majority of other track systems out there
                  > for Z scale still use code 55-60.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Randy Smidt
                  > > Springfield, VA

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >
                  > + Visit your group "z_scale" on the web.
                  >
                  > + To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  >
                  > + Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                • John & Sue Bartolotto
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                    Randy,

                    You can use DPM brick modules. N scale brick is not much larger than Z and
                    with the technique that Rob Kluz taught me "from one step back" you can't
                    tell.

                    Now of course you can take a look at the low-relief and other types of
                    buildings that Nansen Street Models has at: http://www.the-n-arch.com/
                    Additionally, you can look at the Model Builder's Supply Line (also by THE N
                    SCALE ARCHITECT, http://www.the-n-arch.com/) for plastic N scale material
                    that would in Z.

                    Brick mortar in Z is tough. If you come up with a good technique then let
                    the group know.

                    There are several European manufactures who have buildings that would work
                    on an American layouts with little or no modification.

                    http://www.artitec.nl/

                    http://www.stipp.de/

                    http://texte.luetke-modellbahn.de/katalog_z_lo.pdf

                    Enjoy,

                    John
                  • Eric Menzel
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                      All,

                      Just for some clarification on my product lines. I will be
                      introducing modern, as in late 1980's thru present day structures and
                      rolling stock. My modern urban structures will include glass and
                      steel type buildings and industries. I'm also looking into modern
                      day automotive industries as well, like Pikestuff kits in N scale. I
                      am designing my kits to be interchangeable like DPM kits, so that you
                      can add as many kits to create any size structure(s).

                      Randy,
                      I am looking into laser-etched brick wall segments using 2-ply
                      plastic sign/plaque materials. This will give a great relief and 3D
                      texture. I'm sure I will have plenty of time to experiment with
                      materials and designs when the laser arrives.

                      Hope this helps clarify my line at bit better.

                      Regards,
                      Eric P. Menzel

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, randy smidt <randy@s...> wrote:
                      > Reynard,
                      >
                      > I am aware of your brass kits as well as Micro-structures' brass
                      kits and the PennZee card stock buildings.

                      > I guess I should have said "affordable" urban brick buildings.
                      While I do plan on using some MicronArt and Micro-Structures kits
                      (and Scratch material, once I get comfortable working on brass), I
                      can't afford to populate a whole series of urban themed modules with
                      this product other than for the up front part of the scenes. Just
                      building a couple of city blocks would cost in the hundreds of
                      dollars.

                      > I have looked at card models as an affordable alternative, but I
                      like to have relief detail and light colored mortar joints on my
                      models. It is difficult to find light colored mortar in card stock
                      kits (most have black lines) and impossible to get the relief detail
                      (at least for the mortar joints, not any relief in the brick work).

                      > I would like to see "affordable" plastic brick material or building
                      kits.

                      > No offense Reynard, but brass has uses it is well suited for and
                      other uses that it is not well suited for. Building a select few
                      really nicely detailed structures is great. Building a few city
                      blocks worth of multi-story urban buildings would cost too much for
                      most people, even if you had the ability to etch the brass yourself.

                      > I can stratchbuild stone, wood and concrete buildings with
                      inexpensive materials. That is not yet possible with brick in Z
                      scale. That's why some of us keep ranting about this topic every
                      year.

                      > I will say thank you for the scratch product you have produced
                      though. At least we CAN scratchbuild brick structures now, just not
                      inexpensively for a large volume of structures.

                      > Randy Smidt
                      > Springfield, VA

                    • Reynard Wellman
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                        Hello Randy,
                        I must say that I agree with you for the most part.
                        That's why I was so pleased to contribute enhancements
                        for the PennZee paper structures, which are doing quite
                        well.

                        I assume by the size and scale of your needs that you
                        are modeling Downtown Cincinnati or something ; >))
                        Most folks limit the amount of structures on their layouts
                        to a few key railroad operations, industries, farms
                        and edges of a small town, etc. But everybody is unique,
                        having different goals and interests. The challenges
                        in model railroading are the real fun of the hobby.
                        Figuring out ways to make the mortar in your brick
                        white instead of black is just such an example.
                        If you have a pretty good color printer there is no
                        reason why you cannot create some Z brick squares
                        without the black line. Space them apart so that
                        there is a "white" space between them. Use the
                        same color as your fill for your brick outlines or
                        "no lines". You should see some white mortar between
                        your bricks. Use 3M Super 88 to bond your paper
                        to the chipboard and you're set to brick up a
                        structure.

                        Check out the Narrow Gauge Gazette sometime.
                        Those guys even have wrenches and screw drivers
                        for their HO scale machine shops.

                        Many of our structures would not look very good
                        in anything else but brass, while other ideas would be
                        okay in paper or plastic.
                        The main reason that I have not released some of
                        my bigger brass Z projects is ...
                        well, you said it best.

                        I believe that our Zscratch line, on the other hand,
                        is quite reasonable.

                        Thanks for your notes, they are good arguments.

                        I had to break into my long term savings to obtain
                        some of AZL's pretty choo choos. But worth every
                        penny!

                        As I have seen, Z scale is not for the faint-walleted.

                        Best regards,

                        Reynard
                        http://www.micronart.com

                        On Thursday, September 1, 2005, at 01:25 PM, randy smidt wrote:

                        > Reynard,
                        >
                        > I am aware of your brass kits as well as Micro-structures' brass kits
                        > and the PennZee card stock buildings.
                        >
                        > I guess I should have said "affordable" urban brick buildings.  While
                        > I do plan on using some MicronArt and Micro-Structures kits (and
                        > Scratch material, once I get comfortable working on brass), I can't
                        > afford to populate a whole series of urban themed modules with this
                        > product other than for the up front part of the scenes.  Just building
                        > a couple of city blocks would cost in the hundreds of dollars.
                        >
                        > I have looked at card models as an affordable alternative, but I like
                        > to have relief detail and light colored mortar joints on my models.
                        > It is difficult to find light colored mortar in card stock kits (most
                        > have black lines) and impossible to get the relief detail (at least
                        > for the mortar joints, not any relief in the brick work).
                        >
                        > I would like to see "affordable" plastic brick material or building
                        > kits.
                        <edited

                        > I will say thank you for the scratch product you have produced
                        > though.  At least we CAN scratchbuild brick structures now, just not
                        > inexpensively for a large volume of structures.
                        >
                        > Randy Smidt
                        > Springfield, VA

                        <edited

                      • randy smidt
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005
                          Reynard,

                          Thanks for the comments.

                          Great ideas on the mortar lines. I'll have to give that a try.

                          Randy Smidt