UMTRR volume 3.2001

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2001
      Z SCALE NEW RELEASES: No releases this month.

      Z SCALE REPRINTS:

      14403, Marklin Coupler, $12.05, 14403-2, Micro-Trains Coupler,
      $13.75, 39 Foot Single Dome Tank Car, Union Tank Car Line.
      Black
      with yellow lettering including reporting marks on left.
      Reporting
      Marks: UTLX 73355. Approximate Time Period: late 1940's to at
      least the mid-1960's.

      After going with cars in the 8000 series for its previous three
      N Scale releases, MTL returns to the 70000 series of road
      numbers
      for this Z Scale rerun. The closest ORER I have to the 1946
      built
      date for this car is the July 1950 (Westerfield CD-ROM) edition,
      which lists a whopping 4,455 cars of 80,000 pounds capacity and
      another 794 cars of 100,000 pounds capacity in the series 70000
      to 79999. The 73355 is one of the 80,000 pound cars. These
      cars
      are all of AAR Classification TM, which is your basic
      uninsulated
      tank car of welded construction. More than 3600 of these cars
      remained in January 1964. The series actually grew back to over
      7000 cars in the April 1976 Register but I'm not sure that we're
      talking about the same car class here.

      Since the Union Tank Car Company's tankers operated everywhere,
      just about anyone in Z Scale can use one or more of these cars.
      They'll work spotted as singles at small town oil depots or in
      groups on their way to large chemical plants.

      --George in Ellison Park, New York
      --Author, The Unofficial Micro-Trains Release Report
      Visit the website, now at: http://www.irwinsjournal.com