Micro-Trains Flex Track

  • jcubbin@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
      I've done a search on this site for Micro-Trains flex track and really
      found no definitive opinions. Actually one person said it performed
      badly.

      I'm looking to create roughly a 70" oval and it seems a pair of flex
      sections should do it. I've looked at Micro-Trains web site and unless
      I've missed it, they don't even mention Z flex track! It's amazing to
      me how many manufacturers omit photos of their work.

      I've heard it's a bit more American looking, perhaps as the Micro
      Engineering track is to N scale?

      Anyway, if anyone has used the Micro-Trains flex I'd really like to
      hear about it's performance and appearance.

      Thanks
      John
    • FR.model@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
        jcubbin@... schrieb:
        > I've done a search on this site for Micro-Trains flex track and really
        > found no definitive opinions. Actually one person said it performed
        > badly.

        John,

        Marklin track has a simple geometry. One track machtes to aech other. If this is
        the criterion for a good performance MICROTRAINS is bad. MICROTRACK is a flex
        track with all its advantages and disadvantages. It is much more expensive to
        assemble. Each part must be cut with a XURON tool and smoothen. But the result
        is great ! For american prototype layouts I take nothing else. Marklin track is
        in the tunnel only.

        > I've heard it's a bit more American looking,.....

        A bit more ? It is the american Z-scale track itself.

        > Anyway, if anyone has used the Micro-Trains flex I'd really like to
        > hear about it's performance and appearance.

        If you don´t be afraid of correct handcraftsmanship and you model american
        MICROTRACK is the best.

        turnouts: I asked the MICROTRAINS people in Nurnberg at the toy fair and the
        said they work on. But they said it this year and last year too. There is no
        releasing date given. The german manufacturer HALWA in Stuttgart makes matching
        turnouts. They look as fine as the track - price DM 45,- each without motor.

        Harald F.
      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
          Hello John,

          I've used it. It looks right and performs very well.
          Use Xuron "track cutters".

          This flex track has good "memory", you bend it,
          it stays reasonably bent. The tie spacing is more
          prototypical of both US and European standards.
          I don't know why Marklin spaces their ties so far
          apart and structural engineering wise, if the actual
          DB railroads spaced their ties that far apart we'd
          be hearing about all kinds of train wrecks in
          Germany every day.

          Regards,
          Reynard

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
            The Micro-Trains flex does sound interesting. I followed up on the
            Halwa turnouts, they're at:

            http://www.halwa.de/main_gw.htm#

            I'm having a bit of a time navigating their site as it is all in
            German, but it seems as though they make three variations of a curved
            turnout all with live or powered frogs.

            One seems to be a code 40 rail, the text on that one reads:
            Gleise und Weichen in absolut maßstäblicher Ausführung, Profilhöhe 1 mm
            (Code 40).

            The second reads:
            Weichen in Schwellenteilung und Profilhöhe passend zur Großserie.

            The third reads:
            Weichen in Schwellenteilung und Profilhöhe passend zur amerikanischen
            Großserie.

            Also I wrote to Micro-Trains and received (really promptly) a reply
            this morning which says in part "I'll confirm that our intention now is
            to have our first batch of sectional Z track out, later this year".

            I'll see if I can contact someone at Halwa who can give me the skinny
            on turnouts in English.

            John
          • Jay & Anne Greer
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
              Hello John,
              I am wondering if you are building a layout or a display of some sort? I do
              not have experience with Micro-Trains flex track. However, my understanding
              is that it is very good and US prototypical. I personally have had good
              results with Peco Flex Track.
              Best of luck,
              Jay Greer

            • kim@blueneptune.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
                Wow, Does Peco make track for Z /Nn3??

                --- In z_scale@y..., Jay & Anne Greer <redwitch1@e...> wrote:
                > Hello John,
                > I am wondering if you are building a layout or a display of some
                sort? I do
                > not have experience with Micro-Trains flex track. However, my
                understanding
                > is that it is very good and US prototypical. I personally have had
                good
                > results with Peco Flex Track.
                > Best of luck,
                > Jay Greer
                >

                > > From: jcubbin@o...
                > > Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 08:15:16 -0000
                > > To: z_scale@y...
                > > Subject: [z_scale] Micro-Trains Flex Track
                > >
                > > I've done a search on this site for Micro-Trains flex track and
                really
                > > found no definitive opinions. Actually one person said it
                performed
                > > badly.
                > >
                > > I'm looking to create roughly a 70" oval and it seems a pair of
                flex
                > > sections should do it. I've looked at Micro-Trains web site and
                unless
                > > I've missed it, they don't even mention Z flex track! It's amazing
                > > me how many manufacturers omit photos of their work.
                > >
                > > I've heard it's a bit more American looking, perhaps as the Micro
                > > Engineering track is to N scale?
                > >
                > > Anyway, if anyone has used the Micro-Trains flex I'd really like
                > > hear about it's performance and appearance.
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > > John
                > >

                > > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!
                > >

                > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Jay & Anne Greer
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
                  John,
                  Funny you should ask. I recently bought an Nn3 shay kit from Marshal. I plan
                  to hand lay my track. However ,if you aren't fussy, Peco Z track will work
                  just fine.
                  Jay

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
                    Hi Jay,

                    I'm going for a small layout, only about 20" x 30". The reason I'm even
                    looking into the track this much is, well... one thing leads to
                    another. You start off looking at a turnout and all of a sudden 5 other
                    things pop up!

                    After looking at the Z turnours at http://www.halwa.de/main_gw.htm#,
                    It's tempting to try to match up that look.

                    John

                    --- In z_scale@y..., Jay & Anne Greer <redwitch1@e...> wrote:
                    > Hello John,
                    > I am wondering if you are building a layout or a display of some sort? I do
                    > not have experience with Micro-Trains flex track. However, my understanding
                    > is that it is very good and US prototypical. I personally have had good
                    > results with Peco Flex Track.
                    > Best of luck,
                    > Jay Greer
                  • Jay & Anne Greer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
                      John,
                      Out side of scratch building your own turnouts, the market doesn't have a
                      lot to offer at present. Ntrack offers a very good paper back Manual on Nn3
                      with tips and drawings on just about everything you could ever want for the
                      purpose of creating maximum eye strain! I have seen the turnouts by Halwa
                      only on the web and in German train magazines. I think they are pretty good
                      from what I hear from my friends in Germany. You might try contacting
                      Wolfgang Bolt at http://home.nikocity.de/zee-man/
                      Your project sounds interesting
                      Cheers,
                      Jay Greer/Der Wegmann
                      > From: jcubbin@...
                      > Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 22:54:07 -0000
                      > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: [z_scale] Re: Micro-Trains Flex Track
                      >
                      > Hi Jay,
                      >
                      > I'm going for a small layout, only about 20" x 30". The reason I'm even
                      > looking into the track this much is, well... one thing leads to
                      > another. You start off looking at a turnout and all of a sudden 5 other
                      > things pop up!
                      >
                      > After looking at the Z turnours at http://www.halwa.de/main_gw.htm#,
                      > It's tempting to try to match up that look.
                      >
                      > John
                      >
                      > --- In z_scale@y..., Jay & Anne Greer <redwitch1@e...> wrote:
                      >> Hello John,
                      >> I am wondering if you are building a layout or a display of some sort? I do
                      >> not have experience with Micro-Trains flex track. However, my understanding
                      >> is that it is very good and US prototypical. I personally have had good
                      >> results with Peco Flex Track.
                      >> Best of luck,
                      >> Jay Greer

                    • Greg Elmassian
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
                        You can use a web translator to get a bit more information...
                        you paste the url in the translator, and it translates the web
                        page...

                        try: http://www.freetranslation.com/

                        Greg

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
                          Greg,

                          Thanks for that link, I had tried a couple of other translators but
                          that actually seemed to get well over 90% of the page!

                          Jay,

                          I just e-mailed Wolfgang (as well as Halwa earlier) so hopefully I'll
                          be able to make a decision soon. In looking at the ties on the Halwa
                          turnouts I'm trying to decide whose Z track comes closest in
                          appearance. Well, one step at a time.

                          Thank You
                          John
                        • Greg Elmassian
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
                            Yeah, still some strange words... I did not find any other pages with
                            more descriptions, just the one page with 3 pictures, and blow-ups
                            of the 3 pics... did you locate any other information?

                            They look very nice, and I'm an old live-frog man...

                            Greg

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
                              Greg,

                              No additional information, only what you saw. I'm hoping that the two
                              e-mails I've sent can provide more information. Also now that I'm
                              looking at this, I suppose it's a good idea to bone up on wiring a live
                              frog unit.

                              If I get any responses I'll post back.

                              John
                            • Jay & Anne Greer
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 5, 2001
                                John,
                                Next time you get stuck between a rock and a hard place with translations,
                                I'll give it a whack for you. Ich verstehe ein kleine Deutsch.
                                Prozit,
                                Jay Greer/Der Wegmann