Question about Loco's LED electrical wiring and setup

  • zoooctan
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18, 2005
      Hi all, this is admitedlly a DCC related question but it's also an electrical one and I was
      hoping someone could help me solve this puzzle.

      I successfully installed a decoder to my Re 460 but even after taking care and following
      instructions, found that the LEDs glowed angry red hot when I placed the loco on the
      track. Engine worked fine.
      Sensing disaster, I decided to unwire the troublesome lighting wires and (recalling a
      successful earlier plan) decided to wire up the LED points directly to the loco rails (i.e. the
      red / black wires). I know this would work as it has previously did with another loco using
      the standard Marklin bulbs.
      And I used the same bulb to test all connection points and got the same successful light
      up on the new loco. However when I tried putting the cover back on (and the LEDs) they
      again grew red hot! What gives?
      So I figured that maybe LEDs couldn't take such strong currents, I lowered my transformer
      to 6 instead of the usual 9 just to test...the LEDs were not as red but still felt very hot to
      touch.
      So I guess my question is...could someone enlighten me on the differences between bulbs
      and LEDs and their possible wiring setup and/or current requirements.
      I am quite sure I've been careful in all my efforts but this is becoming a real puzzle to
      me...

      and if anyone has a bag of Marklin bulbs they'd like to sell...

      thanks in advance

      Gavin
    • bill.foote
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18, 2005
        LEDs need a series resistor to work off the track - try 1K2 (1200
        Ohms) quarter or eighth watt rating

        Bill Foote <http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote>

        > Hi all, this is admitedlly a DCC related question but it's also
        > an electrical one and I was
        > hoping someone could help me solve this puzzle.
        >
        > I successfully installed a decoder to my Re 460 but even after
        > taking care and following
        > instructions, found that the LEDs glowed angry red hot when I
        > placed the loco on the
        > track. Engine worked fine.
        > Sensing disaster, I decided to unwire the troublesome lighting
        > wires and (recalling a
        > successful earlier plan) decided to wire up the LED points
        > directly to the loco rails (i.e. the
        > red / black wires). I know this would work as it has previously
        > did with another loco using
        > the standard Marklin bulbs.
        > And I used the same bulb to test all connection points and got
        > the same successful light
        > up on the new loco. However when I tried putting the cover back
        > on (and the LEDs) they
        > again grew red hot! What gives?
        > So I figured that maybe LEDs couldn't take such strong
        > currents, I lowered my transformer
        > to 6 instead of the usual 9 just to test...the LEDs were not as
        > red but still felt very hot to
        > touch.
        > So I guess my question is...could someone enlighten me on the
        > differences between bulbs
        > and LEDs and their possible wiring setup and/or current
        > requirements.
        > I am quite sure I've been careful in all my efforts but this is
        > becoming a real puzzle to
        > me...
        >
        > and if anyone has a bag of Marklin bulbs they'd like to sell...
        >
        > thanks in advance
        >
        > Gavin

      • ray
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18, 2005
          Yes you definately need a current limiting resistor in series with an
          LED. White LEDs use more voltage (thinks its about 3.5 volts, usual
          20ma max) then standard LEDs (about 1.5 volts, usually 20ma max) and
          will require slightly different amounts of resistance.

          What color/type LED are you using and do you know the voltage at your
          rails or the decoder is putting out?

          Also, I would suggest replacing the LED you are currently using as it
          was probably damaged and may now actually be a sligthly different
          color, plus it will now fail quicker in the future if damaged.

          -Ray
          www.conrailray.com

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bill.foote" <bill.foote@v...> wrote:
          > LEDs need a series resistor to work off the track - try 1K2 (1200
          > Ohms) quarter or eighth watt rating
          >
          > Bill Foote <http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote>

        • ftkalcevic
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 18, 2005
            There's lots of information on the internet about wiring up LEDs.
            Here's a good link.

            http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/TechBase/litlpo_PoweringLEDs.html
          • Ed Dalman
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
              Thank you very much for this link. As a retired electronic engineer (Electrical Engineering) for about 20 years, I am lacking this kind of technical info. This info is a must when doing circuit design.
              Thanks again
              Ed Dalman