Re: Extremely Useful web sites attn. Anders L.

  • Ole.Rosted@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 1999
      On Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:31:41 +0200, you wrote:

      Anders:

      >When it comes to digital control, the best system I've found is from
      >www.cti-electronics.com. You don't need to put decoders into the locos but

      I downloaded TrainBrain ver. 6.0 (3 Mb) from the site - and you are
      right. You don't need to put decoders in the locos. BUT this is *not*
      digital control in my understanding.

      Digital control must include the ability to address several locos at
      the same time (and in the same track-system), thereby letting the
      different locos run indidually controlled from the controlling device
      (preferably a PC)

      The system CTI electronics presents is nothing but a ordinary
      computer-controlled on/off switching system. with on/off sensing
      capabilities. Good for signals, turnout switching, lights etc. but not
      for anything else.

      I *could* have overlooked something. Please correct me, if I'm wrong

      regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
    • Anders Lattermann
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 1999
        Hi Ole!

        Well, digital control is when something is controlled digitally, like by a
        computer ;-)

        With CTI you use stationary decoders, that also can be assigned to one
        locomotive and "follow" that loco whereever it goes. The stationary decoders
        are called "Smart Cab" by CTI and are like a digitally controlled speed dial
        where you can by software configure how "heavy" your train is so it start
        and stops smothly etc.

        I paste the text for the Smart Cab from CTIs webb:

        "CTI's Smart Cab Module complements the capabilities of the Train-Brain.
        Smart Cab is a fully automated, computer controlled throttle that interfaces
        to your PC. With Smart Cab, train speed, direction, momemtum, and braking
        can all be controlled by your computer.

        Using Smart Cab, you can control your locomotives interactively using the
        "pop-up" throttle built into your CTI control panel display. Or while
        enroute, let the PC take over to control your trains automatically. Your
        trains can now change speed, start, and stop smoothly, all under computer
        control.

        Smart Cab connects to your PC using the same control network as the
        Train-Brain. And the functions of the two modules are fully integrated. The
        Train-Brain's sensors can be used to automatically control the function of
        the Smart Cab.

        CTI's integrated control approach makes running your layout easy. Your
        trains can respond prototypically to trackside signals, make station stops,
        follow scheduled timetables, perform complex switching operations, etc -
        without miles of complicated wiring. The whole job can be done automatically
        by your PC - and Smart Cab, of course!!!"

        The only thing you can't do with this system is to run 2 locos on the same
        track next to each other (well, you can, but then you have to use very short
        blocks). But then again, you normally don't do that.

        On http://www.freiwald.com/ you find the other Windows program that handle
        the CTI hardware. There you also find a good text of how you use the Smart
        Cab (stationary decoder they call it). On the first page click the CTI link
        and you'll find it.

        Also, on the somewhat confusing CTI web, there is tons of info and manual to
        download if you want to look into it more.

        /Anders

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 1999
          On Sat, 2 Oct 1999 13:35:13 +0200, you wrote:

          Hi Anders,

          Thank you for your reply!

          >Well, digital control is when something is controlled digitally, like by a
          >computer ;-)

          Yes, sure :-)

          >I paste the text for the Smart Cab from CTIs webb:

          [snip]

          >The only thing you can't do with this system is to run 2 locos on the same
          >track next to each other

          Just as I thought! I haven't overlooked anything after all.

          This is NOT enough and not what I want from a digital control system
          for trains.

          The control system must be able to control a number (why not 256) of
          adressable units tx. locomotives on an individual basis at the *same*
          time and on the *same* tracks. Block control is not sufficient in my
          opinion.

          I want the whole track system to be powered by a fixed voltage from a
          source that will be able to suply to each addressable unit (locos,
          turnouts, signals etc.) with what is needed to make them work
          according to the digital signals sent to them.

          I do believe this can be accomplished. I have been programming PC
          based A/D and D/A applications for 20 years now, and right from the
          beginning - or rather from the time I "stole" my kids train - digital
          train control has been my goal. I guess that the electronics will be
          much easier for me to do, than the mechanical work with tracks, locos
          and other nerve- wrecking train "hardware".

          But in Z-locos there is not much room for the decoder etc. It can be
          done, though or the parts could maybe be built into a passenger car or
          another roomy wagon of some sort. I don't know! The first year (or two
          - or three or....) I intend to use on building a stable and well
          functioning track system for my digital experiments.

          regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
        • pleahy@xxxxxxxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 1999
            Ole Rosted,

            At 02:36 PM 10/2/99 GMT, you wrote:
            >From: Ole.Rosted@... (Ole Rosted)
            >The control system must be able to control a number (why not 256) of
            >adressable units tx. locomotives on an individual basis at the *same*
            >time and on the *same* tracks. Block control is not sufficient in my
            >opinion.
            >
            >I want the whole track system to be powered by a fixed voltage from a
            >source that will be able to suply to each addressable unit (locos,
            >turnouts, signals etc.) with what is needed to make them work
            >according to the digital signals sent to them.

            This is what I have envisioned Digital Control to be for a futture layout.
            Unfortunatly the systems available now are beyond my buget.

            >But in Z-locos there is not much room for the decoder etc. It can be
            >done, though or the parts could maybe be built into a passenger car or
            >another roomy wagon of some sort. I don't know!

            If Digitrax ever comes out with their DZ121...

            > The first year (or two
            >- or three or....) I intend to use on building a stable and well
            >functioning track system for my digital experiments.

            Would be very interested in your progress.

            Pete