Further Turnout & Lok Clarification

  • jcubbin@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2001
      I'm sitting here in front of the computer with my RRTrack software,
      playing with another test layout. I said earlier that I may bypass
      turnouts altogether to eliminate the stall syndrome but I just can't
      see it, they add far too much to even a modest layout.

      I've read over all the existing posts in the turnout thread and would
      like to clarify a couple of things.

      Someone had said earlier that all Marklin loks have only 4 wheels being
      powered in contact with the track, is this per lok or per truck? I'm
      looking at the 2000/2001 Marklin catalog, specifically at page 353, the
      8822. It has two trucks, six wheels each, It does appear that the
      middle wheelset on each truck is raised.

      The photos in the catalog seem pretty crisp, without an inordinate
      amount of retouching and I believe you can see the wheels not in
      contact with the track. An odd thing... on a lok featured on page 339
      (American Freight Starter Set), it appears clearly that the 1st and 3rd
      set of wheels is raised. On other x-8-x trains, I've seen the 2nd and
      3rd set raised.

      Also, I read where rigid frame loks (all steam?) tend to display more
      of a dip going through turnouts. Is this simply because the balance on
      the two truck lok is more evenly distributed, over a wider area?

      Sorry if these sound like obvious questions, but I'm trying not to
      assume too much anymore!

      And finally, what is the specific definition of a truck?

      Thanks
      John