How did Mr. Dave do that trailer?

  • richardeinhorn@mrli.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
      How did you do the trailer Mr. Dave?

      -r
    • jim_manley_alpha_six
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 5, 2005
        Hi Richard, Jeffrey, Mister Dave, and All Other CraZieZ,

        I waZ fortunate to have time after NTS in Cincinnati to help Dave and
        otherZ disassemble and pack the GB&CC moduleZ in hiZ spiffy trailer
        and mini-van, and I can tell you that the outside of the trailer iZn't
        nearly half aZ impressive aZ the inside! He haZ perfected a system of
        PVC pipe-over-dowel rollerZ, bungee cordZ, eyeboltZ, containerZ, and
        other hardware that allowZ him to deploy or pack all of hiZ componentZ
        in well under half an hour, providing protection to everything from
        the inevitable bumpZ and bangZ from our wonderful pothole, I mean,
        highway system.

        If you do get to see the GB&CC at a show, make a point of being around
        to help with the unpacking and/or packing, and you will learn more in
        half an hour about how to successfully transport a very large layout
        (second only to Rob Albritton's Gotthard Gigantor :) than yearZ of
        reading model railroading publicationZ. HiZ name should be "MaZter Dave"!

        All Z BeZt,
        Jim

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, <richardeinhorn@m...> wrote:
        > How did you do the trailer Mr. Dave?
      • David George
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
          Thank you very much Jeffry.
          I sometimes think my greatest achievement in model railroading was designing the inside levels and attachment methods for my various sized modules, and the logo design of my pike's name , and trailer photographics. I think I spent three plus years in playing serious mind and imagineering games with my self before the final product emerged. I had a lot of help from Keith Webb and ,my neighbor , John Horton,,plus the use of fine photos from Rob Kluz.
          Thank you again Jeffry for the recognition.
          Where it is possible,,I will have the trailer as part of my show display at the open end of the layout.

          Jeffrey MacHan <jmac_han@...> wrote:
          Hi Gang,

          Sometimes a member does something truly amaZing to promote our
          favourite scale. Rarely, if ever, does the modelling community take
          notice. Fortunately for Z-scale, wherever "Mister Dave" goes with his
          award-winning "Golden~Blackhawk & Central City RR", he is immediately
          noticed, thanks to his superbly adorned custom trailer. Mister Dave
          is a long-standing Z Ambassador and was an important participant in
          this year's NMRA National Train Show. His layout gets rave reviews
          and continues to receive invitations to major exhibitions and train
          shows nation-wide. (Dave is the only Z-scaler currently exhibiting at
          the very successful "World's Greatest Hobby Shows").

          In long-overdue recognition for "Mister Dave's" contribution to
          promoting the joy of Z and model railroading to folks all over the
          USA, Z_Scale awards the July "Model of the Month" to the outstanding
          graphical advertising applied to his layout's trailer.

          See the photo here:

          Congratulations, Dave. Long may you continue to share your passion.

          All the best,
          Jeffrey MacHan

        • David George
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
            Hey Jim,
            I had some SAMRA people help me load up yesterday after their show ( San Antonio Model Railroad Assoc. ),,and they were also appreciative of the inside design of my trailer. It's like watching the old circus clown trick of seeing 10 plus clowns come out of a V W bug when I unload too.
            Remember ,,its HOOKS Airport near my home.

            Mister Dave

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
              I'm fortunate to have a neighbor who is in the large graphic decal business and another area neighbor who applies them ( he does all the work for Shell,,BP etc world wide--tankers and trucks ). They combined to give me a highly discounted "Clergy" rate for the job. Really ,,just for cost of materials.

              Mister Dave

              richardeinhorn@... wrote:
              How did you do the trailer Mr. Dave?

              -r

              Model railroad train G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n scale Scale model train Z scale model train

            • Hurley, Ronald J.,M.D.
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                Mister Dave, do you have a schedule of where you'll be in the upcoming months?
                Uncle Ron

                richardeinhorn@... wrote:
                How did you do the trailer Mr. Dave?

                -r

                Model railroad train G scale model train Ho scale model train Model train n
                scale Scale model train Z scale model train

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                ________________________________
              • David George
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                  Uncle Ron,
                  The closest I will come to New England will be the Wash. D.C. ,Worlds Greatest Hobby Show Feb 11 - 12 , 2006.
                  It is actually in Chantilly Va.
                  These shows are tremendous. they get 30,000 attendance in 2 days with all manufactures and retailers on the floor.
                  It's worth the trip.
                  I started my Pennzoil career in Hartford and Boston back in the 60's. I still root for the "Boston Patrtiots" , and have skied in Vermont and Maine.

                  Thanks ,,Cordially,
                  Mister Dave

                  ."Hurley, Ronald J.,M.D." <rhurley@...> wrote:
                  Congrats "Mister Dave".!!.... Can't wait to see the Golden-Blackhawk and Central
                  City....any plans to come to New England? "uncle ron"

[...]

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  the web.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                    Hopefully the Red Sox are included as well..... See you in February! Uncle

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                      Uncle Ron,
                      I just sent you an Email re, New England,,,but since you asked for my upcoming schedule,,,,let me unload.

                      Aug. 21 - 22 New Orleans- GATS
                      Sept. 14 Banff School ( private ), Houston
                      Oct. 21 - 22 - 23 - Houston Home tours( I'm opening on Friday to accomodate Senior citizen groups who can view my layout from wheel chairs ).
                      Nov. 12 - 13 Houston GATS
                      Nov. 19 - 20 Texas City Museum Fund Raiser
                      Dec. 17- 18 ,
                      23 - 24 ,
                      30 - 31 George H.W.Bush Presidential Library. Main rotunda around Christmas tree.

                      Earlier this year, I showed at :

                      Feb 26 - 27 Denver WGHS on Tour
                      Apr. 9 - 10 San Antonio GATS
                      July 8 - 9 - 10 Cincinnatti NTS
                      Aug 6 - 7 San Antonio SAMRA

                      All in all that makes 12 show events and 24 days giving Z SCALE an audience.

                      Whew !

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                        Whew ! is right. Mr Dave, this is one amaZing zchedule.

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:

                        > Aug. 21 - 22 New Orleans- GATS
                        > Sept. 14 Banff School ( private ), Houston
                        > Oct. 21 - 22 - 23 - Houston Home tours( I'm opening on Friday to
                        accomodate Senior citizen groups who can view my layout from wheel
                        chairs ).
                        > Nov. 12 - 13 Houston GATS
                        > Nov. 19 - 20 Texas City Museum Fund Raiser
                        > Dec. 17- 18 ,
                        > 23 - 24 ,
                        > 30 - 31 George H.W.Bush Presidential Library. Main rotunda
                        around Christmas tree.

                        > Earlier this year, I showed at :
                        >
                        > Feb 26 - 27 Denver WGHS on Tour
                        > Apr. 9 - 10 San Antonio GATS
                        > July 8 - 9 - 10 Cincinnatti NTS
                        > Aug 6 - 7 San Antonio SAMRA
                        >
                        > All in all that makes 12 show events and 24 days giving Z SCALE an
                        audience.

                        > Whew !
                      • Don
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                          Just curious here -- but when in blazes do you hit the bathroom or get
                          home. Obviously you are driving since you have the trailer. You are
                          covering a heck of a lot more than an "average" 15,000 miles a year.
                          This is one expensive hobby you are in when you toss in hotel/food on
                          the road/fuel/tolls etc plus the little matter of the cost of Z stuff
                          itself. Do you get a refund from the tax man from being away from your
                          primary residence so much?? ---inquiring minds...

                          Don

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 9, 2005
                            Don,
                            To paraphrase " I depend on the kindness of others to give me breaks '. I look for 11 to 15 year olds who have a strong interest in the layout and then tell them they are in charge for a few minutes,,,,then I leave for a restroom or snack break. The kid is ecstatic ( parent is , too ). Other modelers come by and offer to relieve me also.

                            Cost ? Its all cost ! " What the hey"

                            I worked for 40 years at a type A pace,,,retirement is no different.
                            I'm afraid if I slow down,,,,I'll really slow down .

                            I also snow ski in Colorado, Nevada,California , Canada, Europe and sometimes the southern hemisphere ( S.A. or N.Z. )
                            for 8 to 10 weeks a year.

                            Life is good !

                            Mister Dave

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 10, 2005
                              Awesome display of trains on your trailer Mr Dave. I seem to be
                              reading more about the system of transporting your modules than I do
                              about the outside of it. Can you download some photos of the interior
                              so we wondering minds can see what mysterious contraptions you have
                              working for you to hold your modules safe and sound during
                              transportation? Look forward to seeing them.

                              Have a wonderful day!
                              Tim
                            • David George