Re: Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

  • Vincent Goudreault
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:26:24 EDT
      From: ztrack@...
      Subject: Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

      Alan Curtis Models has released 89' flush sided flat cars. This is ACM's
      second Z scale release. These car kits are cast in metal and come with TNT
      decals
      for the TTX. Assembly, painting and decalling will be required. Due to the
      length, these cars are not suitable for tight curves. For more information
      on
      these cars, visit Ztrack or ACM's web site at:

      http://www.ztrack.com/mrtsbcatpgs/ztrack_alancurtis.html
      http://www.alancurtismodels.com/Z89ft.html

      Ztrack Magazine will be stocking these car kits. We will have two versions
      available. The first is set AC-Z-02. It is the kit only with decals.
      Couplers
      and trucks are not included. The cars will require trucks #953 and couplers
      905
      from MTL. Ztrack is selling the kit for $18.00.

      The second kit is AC-Z-02T1. This kit includeinclude the car, decals and
      trucks and couplers. The complete set is $28.00.

      Ztrack does have in stock ACM's spine car kits. These will make a complete
      five unit train. We also have decals for the spine car sets. See the Ztrack
      Accessory order form on the Ztrack web site for ordering information.

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
      http://www.ztrack.com/
      Distributor for American Z Line

      How many different reporting numbers can the kit decals support?
      This will determine how many kits I will want to get, amd I am sure
      several other people are approaching this the same way.

      CBVG
    • Vincent Goudreault
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:51:47 -0000
        From: "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...>
        Subject: Re: Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

        > Hi Rob, when these kits are available? I've already
        > ideas to kitbash them into three-level covered
        > autoracks.....
        >
        > Dominique

        Dominique,

        A certain individual in the "Z" community has been working with Mr.
        Curtis and his 89' flats for after market add on mods to create a
        three-level covered autorack. I have seen several photos of the
        prototypes and they look marvelous and are very nicely detailed. Last
        I heard, they were talking about both kit and RTR autoracks. Keep
        your ears open and your eyes peeled for this new "Z" item.

        Tim

        Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level autoracks, and I had
        the impression (I was driving at that time, so could not really stare
        as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is smaller than other
        cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used, aren't Z three-level
        going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone comes up with
        replacement wheel sets?

        CBVG
      • ray
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          CBVG,

          I'm sure specs vary, but according to some documentation that I have,
          Bi-level autoracks were put on top of standard level flats which have
          a 41.5" floor height with 33" wheels. Tri-level racks were put on
          low level flats at a 31.5" floor level with 28" wheels.

          It does look like the tri-level sits lower then the bi-level, but the
          wheels on the tri-levels are usually covered more by the side of the
          flat. The difference of 5 inches in wheel diameter in Z is .023" so
          it may be able to be masked under the side of the flat with some
          alterations to the flat itself.

          -Ray

          > Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level autoracks, and I
          had
          > the impression (I was driving at that time, so could not really
          stare
          > as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is smaller than other
          > cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used, aren't Z three-
          level
          > going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone comes up with
          > replacement wheel sets?
          >

          > CBVG
        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            > Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level
            > autoracks, and I had
            > the impression (I was driving at that time, so could
            > not really stare
            > as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is
            > smaller than other
            > cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used,
            > aren't Z three-level
            > going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone
            > comes up with
            > replacement wheel sets?
            >

            > CBVG

            Vincent, myself I oftenly wondered about this. But
            it's worth to know that there is not a "standard"
            diameter for wheels on prototype cars: let's consider
            for example an articulated 3 or 5 platform double
            stack car: the outer trucks have wheels with a given
            diameter, and the inner trucks, those which share two
            platforms, have a bigger diameter wheels. And if we
            consider an autorack, given the higher gauge standard
            (versus for example a standard 50' boxcar), it's true
            that the wheels seem smaller. But maybe it's only a
            feeling, considering the car's gauge.

            And BTW, with a scale like ours, I think it's not
            really a problem: myself I will consider a car as
            prototypical if the truck's general shape matches what
            we see on a prototype's picture, among other features.
            And that's why a Z scale modern car rolling on MTL
            roller bearing truck will appeal me, regardless its
            wheels' diameter.

            Dominique

          • ztrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              I have heard back from Tim at TNT concerning the roadnumbers. Here is his
              response:

              Each roadname has 2 different sets of numbers.  I can make many more if
              anyone wants more numbers.  Notice, the top decals are for the flush side and the
              bottom are for the channel side flats.  Those have yet to be printed, but this
              week will be a done deal.  Notice, their are no such animal as a KTTX in Flush
              and no TTWX in Channel side.  Just the luck of the draw.

              Notice that their are also 2 sets of numbers for the draw bar TTEX cars.  In
              actuality, a person could buy 4 flush side and make two differently numbered
              sets.  Same for the channel side.

              If anyone wants different decal numbers, tell them to send me an email.  I'm
              thinking about doing some different roadname decals for the 89' also.

              If anyone does require different roadnumbers or additional ones, you can
              contact TNT at: sgt_tim1@...