RE: [Z_Scale] Re: Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> a écrit :

      > > Hi Rob, when these kits are available? I've
      > already
      > > ideas to kitbash them into three-level covered
      > > autoracks.....
      > >
      > > Dominique
      >
      > Dominique,
      >
      > A certain individual in the "Z" community has been
      > working with Mr.
      > Curtis and his 89' flats for after market add on
      > mods to create a
      > three-level covered autorack. I have seen several
      > photos of the
      > prototypes and they look marvelous and are very
      > nicely detailed. Last
      > I heard, they were talking about both kit and RTR
      > autoracks. Keep
      > your ears open and your eyes peeled for this new "Z"
      > item.
      >
      > Tim

      WOOWW!!!! Thanks for the info Tim! What a great
      news!!!

      Dominique

    • Vincent Goudreault
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:26:24 EDT
        From: ztrack@...
        Subject: Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

        Alan Curtis Models has released 89' flush sided flat cars. This is ACM's
        second Z scale release. These car kits are cast in metal and come with TNT
        decals
        for the TTX. Assembly, painting and decalling will be required. Due to the
        length, these cars are not suitable for tight curves. For more information
        on
        these cars, visit Ztrack or ACM's web site at:

        http://www.ztrack.com/mrtsbcatpgs/ztrack_alancurtis.html
        http://www.alancurtismodels.com/Z89ft.html

        Ztrack Magazine will be stocking these car kits. We will have two versions
        available. The first is set AC-Z-02. It is the kit only with decals.
        Couplers
        and trucks are not included. The cars will require trucks #953 and couplers
        905
        from MTL. Ztrack is selling the kit for $18.00.

        The second kit is AC-Z-02T1. This kit includeinclude the car, decals and
        trucks and couplers. The complete set is $28.00.

        Ztrack does have in stock ACM's spine car kits. These will make a complete
        five unit train. We also have decals for the spine car sets. See the Ztrack
        Accessory order form on the Ztrack web site for ordering information.

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        http://www.ztrack.com/
        Distributor for American Z Line

        How many different reporting numbers can the kit decals support?
        This will determine how many kits I will want to get, amd I am sure
        several other people are approaching this the same way.

        CBVG
      • Vincent Goudreault
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:51:47 -0000
          From: "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...>
          Subject: Re: Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

          > Hi Rob, when these kits are available? I've already
          > ideas to kitbash them into three-level covered
          > autoracks.....
          >
          > Dominique

          Dominique,

          A certain individual in the "Z" community has been working with Mr.
          Curtis and his 89' flats for after market add on mods to create a
          three-level covered autorack. I have seen several photos of the
          prototypes and they look marvelous and are very nicely detailed. Last
          I heard, they were talking about both kit and RTR autoracks. Keep
          your ears open and your eyes peeled for this new "Z" item.

          Tim

          Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level autoracks, and I had
          the impression (I was driving at that time, so could not really stare
          as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is smaller than other
          cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used, aren't Z three-level
          going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone comes up with
          replacement wheel sets?

          CBVG
        • ray
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            CBVG,

            I'm sure specs vary, but according to some documentation that I have,
            Bi-level autoracks were put on top of standard level flats which have
            a 41.5" floor height with 33" wheels. Tri-level racks were put on
            low level flats at a 31.5" floor level with 28" wheels.

            It does look like the tri-level sits lower then the bi-level, but the
            wheels on the tri-levels are usually covered more by the side of the
            flat. The difference of 5 inches in wheel diameter in Z is .023" so
            it may be able to be masked under the side of the flat with some
            alterations to the flat itself.

            -Ray

            > Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level autoracks, and I
            had
            > the impression (I was driving at that time, so could not really
            stare
            > as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is smaller than other
            > cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used, aren't Z three-
            level
            > going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone comes up with
            > replacement wheel sets?
            >

            > CBVG
          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              > Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level
              > autoracks, and I had
              > the impression (I was driving at that time, so could
              > not really stare
              > as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is
              > smaller than other
              > cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used,
              > aren't Z three-level
              > going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone
              > comes up with
              > replacement wheel sets?
              >

              > CBVG

              Vincent, myself I oftenly wondered about this. But
              it's worth to know that there is not a "standard"
              diameter for wheels on prototype cars: let's consider
              for example an articulated 3 or 5 platform double
              stack car: the outer trucks have wheels with a given
              diameter, and the inner trucks, those which share two
              platforms, have a bigger diameter wheels. And if we
              consider an autorack, given the higher gauge standard
              (versus for example a standard 50' boxcar), it's true
              that the wheels seem smaller. But maybe it's only a
              feeling, considering the car's gauge.

              And BTW, with a scale like ours, I think it's not
              really a problem: myself I will consider a car as
              prototypical if the truck's general shape matches what
              we see on a prototype's picture, among other features.
              And that's why a Z scale modern car rolling on MTL
              roller bearing truck will appeal me, regardless its
              wheels' diameter.

              Dominique

            • ztrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                I have heard back from Tim at TNT concerning the roadnumbers. Here is his
                response:

                Each roadname has 2 different sets of numbers.  I can make many more if
                anyone wants more numbers.  Notice, the top decals are for the flush side and the
                bottom are for the channel side flats.  Those have yet to be printed, but this
                week will be a done deal.  Notice, their are no such animal as a KTTX in Flush
                and no TTWX in Channel side.  Just the luck of the draw.

                Notice that their are also 2 sets of numbers for the draw bar TTEX cars.  In
                actuality, a person could buy 4 flush side and make two differently numbered
                sets.  Same for the channel side.

                If anyone wants different decal numbers, tell them to send me an email.  I'm
                thinking about doing some different roadname decals for the 89' also.

                If anyone does require different roadnumbers or additional ones, you can
                contact TNT at: sgt_tim1@...