Re: [Z_Scale] Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      Dominique,

      ACM does have the kits available now. I will be placing an order with him in
      the next week.

      Rob

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
      http://www.ztrack.com/
      Distributor for American Z Line

    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> a écrit :

        > > Hi Rob, when these kits are available? I've
        > already
        > > ideas to kitbash them into three-level covered
        > > autoracks.....
        > >
        > > Dominique
        >
        > Dominique,
        >
        > A certain individual in the "Z" community has been
        > working with Mr.
        > Curtis and his 89' flats for after market add on
        > mods to create a
        > three-level covered autorack. I have seen several
        > photos of the
        > prototypes and they look marvelous and are very
        > nicely detailed. Last
        > I heard, they were talking about both kit and RTR
        > autoracks. Keep
        > your ears open and your eyes peeled for this new "Z"
        > item.
        >
        > Tim

        WOOWW!!!! Thanks for the info Tim! What a great
        news!!!

        Dominique

      • Vincent Goudreault
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:26:24 EDT
          From: ztrack@...
          Subject: Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

          Alan Curtis Models has released 89' flush sided flat cars. This is ACM's
          second Z scale release. These car kits are cast in metal and come with TNT
          decals
          for the TTX. Assembly, painting and decalling will be required. Due to the
          length, these cars are not suitable for tight curves. For more information
          on
          these cars, visit Ztrack or ACM's web site at:

          http://www.ztrack.com/mrtsbcatpgs/ztrack_alancurtis.html
          http://www.alancurtismodels.com/Z89ft.html

          Ztrack Magazine will be stocking these car kits. We will have two versions
          available. The first is set AC-Z-02. It is the kit only with decals.
          Couplers
          and trucks are not included. The cars will require trucks #953 and couplers
          905
          from MTL. Ztrack is selling the kit for $18.00.

          The second kit is AC-Z-02T1. This kit includeinclude the car, decals and
          trucks and couplers. The complete set is $28.00.

          Ztrack does have in stock ACM's spine car kits. These will make a complete
          five unit train. We also have decals for the spine car sets. See the Ztrack
          Accessory order form on the Ztrack web site for ordering information.

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          http://www.ztrack.com/
          Distributor for American Z Line

          How many different reporting numbers can the kit decals support?
          This will determine how many kits I will want to get, amd I am sure
          several other people are approaching this the same way.

          CBVG
        • Vincent Goudreault
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:51:47 -0000
            From: "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...>
            Subject: Re: Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

            > Hi Rob, when these kits are available? I've already
            > ideas to kitbash them into three-level covered
            > autoracks.....
            >
            > Dominique

            Dominique,

            A certain individual in the "Z" community has been working with Mr.
            Curtis and his 89' flats for after market add on mods to create a
            three-level covered autorack. I have seen several photos of the
            prototypes and they look marvelous and are very nicely detailed. Last
            I heard, they were talking about both kit and RTR autoracks. Keep
            your ears open and your eyes peeled for this new "Z" item.

            Tim

            Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level autoracks, and I had
            the impression (I was driving at that time, so could not really stare
            as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is smaller than other
            cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used, aren't Z three-level
            going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone comes up with
            replacement wheel sets?

            CBVG
          • ray
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              CBVG,

              I'm sure specs vary, but according to some documentation that I have,
              Bi-level autoracks were put on top of standard level flats which have
              a 41.5" floor height with 33" wheels. Tri-level racks were put on
              low level flats at a 31.5" floor level with 28" wheels.

              It does look like the tri-level sits lower then the bi-level, but the
              wheels on the tri-levels are usually covered more by the side of the
              flat. The difference of 5 inches in wheel diameter in Z is .023" so
              it may be able to be masked under the side of the flat with some
              alterations to the flat itself.

              -Ray

              > Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level autoracks, and I
              had
              > the impression (I was driving at that time, so could not really
              stare
              > as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is smaller than other
              > cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used, aren't Z three-
              level
              > going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone comes up with
              > replacement wheel sets?
              >

              > CBVG
            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                > Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level
                > autoracks, and I had
                > the impression (I was driving at that time, so could
                > not really stare
                > as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is
                > smaller than other
                > cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used,
                > aren't Z three-level
                > going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone
                > comes up with
                > replacement wheel sets?
                >

                > CBVG

                Vincent, myself I oftenly wondered about this. But
                it's worth to know that there is not a "standard"
                diameter for wheels on prototype cars: let's consider
                for example an articulated 3 or 5 platform double
                stack car: the outer trucks have wheels with a given
                diameter, and the inner trucks, those which share two
                platforms, have a bigger diameter wheels. And if we
                consider an autorack, given the higher gauge standard
                (versus for example a standard 50' boxcar), it's true
                that the wheels seem smaller. But maybe it's only a
                feeling, considering the car's gauge.

                And BTW, with a scale like ours, I think it's not
                really a problem: myself I will consider a car as
                prototypical if the truck's general shape matches what
                we see on a prototype's picture, among other features.
                And that's why a Z scale modern car rolling on MTL
                roller bearing truck will appeal me, regardless its
                wheels' diameter.

                Dominique

              • ztrack@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                  I have heard back from Tim at TNT concerning the roadnumbers. Here is his
                  response:

                  Each roadname has 2 different sets of numbers.  I can make many more if
                  anyone wants more numbers.  Notice, the top decals are for the flush side and the
                  bottom are for the channel side flats.  Those have yet to be printed, but this
                  week will be a done deal.  Notice, their are no such animal as a KTTX in Flush
                  and no TTWX in Channel side.  Just the luck of the draw.

                  Notice that their are also 2 sets of numbers for the draw bar TTEX cars.  In
                  actuality, a person could buy 4 flush side and make two differently numbered
                  sets.  Same for the channel side.

                  If anyone wants different decal numbers, tell them to send me an email.  I'm
                  thinking about doing some different roadname decals for the 89' also.

                  If anyone does require different roadnumbers or additional ones, you can
                  contact TNT at: sgt_tim1@...