Re: Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      > Hi Rob, when these kits are available? I've already
      > ideas to kitbash them into three-level covered
      > autoracks.....
      >
      > Dominique

      Dominique,

      A certain individual in the "Z" community has been working with Mr.
      Curtis and his 89' flats for after market add on mods to create a
      three-level covered autorack. I have seen several photos of the
      prototypes and they look marvelous and are very nicely detailed. Last
      I heard, they were talking about both kit and RTR autoracks. Keep
      your ears open and your eyes peeled for this new "Z" item.

      Tim
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        Dominique,

        ACM does have the kits available now. I will be placing an order with him in
        the next week.

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        http://www.ztrack.com/
        Distributor for American Z Line

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> a écrit :

          > > Hi Rob, when these kits are available? I've
          > already
          > > ideas to kitbash them into three-level covered
          > > autoracks.....
          > >
          > > Dominique
          >
          > Dominique,
          >
          > A certain individual in the "Z" community has been
          > working with Mr.
          > Curtis and his 89' flats for after market add on
          > mods to create a
          > three-level covered autorack. I have seen several
          > photos of the
          > prototypes and they look marvelous and are very
          > nicely detailed. Last
          > I heard, they were talking about both kit and RTR
          > autoracks. Keep
          > your ears open and your eyes peeled for this new "Z"
          > item.
          >
          > Tim

          WOOWW!!!! Thanks for the info Tim! What a great
          news!!!

          Dominique

        • Vincent Goudreault
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:26:24 EDT
            From: ztrack@...
            Subject: Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

            Alan Curtis Models has released 89' flush sided flat cars. This is ACM's
            second Z scale release. These car kits are cast in metal and come with TNT
            decals
            for the TTX. Assembly, painting and decalling will be required. Due to the
            length, these cars are not suitable for tight curves. For more information
            on
            these cars, visit Ztrack or ACM's web site at:

            http://www.ztrack.com/mrtsbcatpgs/ztrack_alancurtis.html
            http://www.alancurtismodels.com/Z89ft.html

            Ztrack Magazine will be stocking these car kits. We will have two versions
            available. The first is set AC-Z-02. It is the kit only with decals.
            Couplers
            and trucks are not included. The cars will require trucks #953 and couplers
            905
            from MTL. Ztrack is selling the kit for $18.00.

            The second kit is AC-Z-02T1. This kit includeinclude the car, decals and
            trucks and couplers. The complete set is $28.00.

            Ztrack does have in stock ACM's spine car kits. These will make a complete
            five unit train. We also have decals for the spine car sets. See the Ztrack
            Accessory order form on the Ztrack web site for ordering information.

            Rob Kluz

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
            Dublin, OH 43016
            phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
            http://www.ztrack.com/
            Distributor for American Z Line

            How many different reporting numbers can the kit decals support?
            This will determine how many kits I will want to get, amd I am sure
            several other people are approaching this the same way.

            CBVG
          • Vincent Goudreault
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:51:47 -0000
              From: "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...>
              Subject: Re: Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

              > Hi Rob, when these kits are available? I've already
              > ideas to kitbash them into three-level covered
              > autoracks.....
              >
              > Dominique

              Dominique,

              A certain individual in the "Z" community has been working with Mr.
              Curtis and his 89' flats for after market add on mods to create a
              three-level covered autorack. I have seen several photos of the
              prototypes and they look marvelous and are very nicely detailed. Last
              I heard, they were talking about both kit and RTR autoracks. Keep
              your ears open and your eyes peeled for this new "Z" item.

              Tim

              Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level autoracks, and I had
              the impression (I was driving at that time, so could not really stare
              as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is smaller than other
              cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used, aren't Z three-level
              going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone comes up with
              replacement wheel sets?

              CBVG
            • ray
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                CBVG,

                I'm sure specs vary, but according to some documentation that I have,
                Bi-level autoracks were put on top of standard level flats which have
                a 41.5" floor height with 33" wheels. Tri-level racks were put on
                low level flats at a 31.5" floor level with 28" wheels.

                It does look like the tri-level sits lower then the bi-level, but the
                wheels on the tri-levels are usually covered more by the side of the
                flat. The difference of 5 inches in wheel diameter in Z is .023" so
                it may be able to be masked under the side of the flat with some
                alterations to the flat itself.

                -Ray

                > Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level autoracks, and I
                had
                > the impression (I was driving at that time, so could not really
                stare
                > as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is smaller than other
                > cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used, aren't Z three-
                level
                > going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone comes up with
                > replacement wheel sets?
                >

                > CBVG
              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                  > Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level
                  > autoracks, and I had
                  > the impression (I was driving at that time, so could
                  > not really stare
                  > as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is
                  > smaller than other
                  > cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used,
                  > aren't Z three-level
                  > going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone
                  > comes up with
                  > replacement wheel sets?
                  >

                  > CBVG

                  Vincent, myself I oftenly wondered about this. But
                  it's worth to know that there is not a "standard"
                  diameter for wheels on prototype cars: let's consider
                  for example an articulated 3 or 5 platform double
                  stack car: the outer trucks have wheels with a given
                  diameter, and the inner trucks, those which share two
                  platforms, have a bigger diameter wheels. And if we
                  consider an autorack, given the higher gauge standard
                  (versus for example a standard 50' boxcar), it's true
                  that the wheels seem smaller. But maybe it's only a
                  feeling, considering the car's gauge.

                  And BTW, with a scale like ours, I think it's not
                  really a problem: myself I will consider a car as
                  prototypical if the truck's general shape matches what
                  we see on a prototype's picture, among other features.
                  And that's why a Z scale modern car rolling on MTL
                  roller bearing truck will appeal me, regardless its
                  wheels' diameter.

                  Dominique

                • ztrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                    I have heard back from Tim at TNT concerning the roadnumbers. Here is his
                    response:

                    Each roadname has 2 different sets of numbers.  I can make many more if
                    anyone wants more numbers.  Notice, the top decals are for the flush side and the
                    bottom are for the channel side flats.  Those have yet to be printed, but this
                    week will be a done deal.  Notice, their are no such animal as a KTTX in Flush
                    and no TTWX in Channel side.  Just the luck of the draw.

                    Notice that their are also 2 sets of numbers for the draw bar TTEX cars.  In
                    actuality, a person could buy 4 flush side and make two differently numbered
                    sets.  Same for the channel side.

                    If anyone wants different decal numbers, tell them to send me an email.  I'm
                    thinking about doing some different roadname decals for the 89' also.

                    If anyone does require different roadnumbers or additional ones, you can
                    contact TNT at: sgt_tim1@...