Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1 6:26 PM
      Alan Curtis Models has released 89' flush sided flat cars. This is ACM's
      second Z scale release. These car kits are cast in metal and come with TNT decals
      for the TTX. Assembly, painting and decalling will be required. Due to the
      length, these cars are not suitable for tight curves. For more information on
      these cars, visit Ztrack or ACM's web site at:

      http://www.ztrack.com/mrtsbcatpgs/ztrack_alancurtis.html
      http://www.alancurtismodels.com/Z89ft.html

      Ztrack Magazine will be stocking these car kits. We will have two versions
      available. The first is set AC-Z-02. It is the kit only with decals. Couplers
      and trucks are not included. The cars will require trucks #953 and couplers 905
      from MTL. Ztrack is selling the kit for $18.00.

      The second kit is AC-Z-02T1. This kit includeinclude the car, decals and
      trucks and couplers. The complete set is $28.00.

      Ztrack does have in stock ACM's spine car kits. These will make a complete
      five unit train. We also have decals for the spine car sets. See the Ztrack
      Accessory order form on the Ztrack web site for ordering information.

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
      http://www.ztrack.com/
      Distributor for American Z Line

    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2 2:54 AM
        --- ztrack@... a écrit :

        > Alan Curtis Models has released 89' flush sided flat
        > cars. This is ACM's
        > second Z scale release. These car kits are cast in
        > metal and come with TNT decals
        > for the TTX. Assembly, painting and decalling will
        > be required. Due to the
        > length, these cars are not suitable for tight
        > curves. For more information on
        > these cars, visit Ztrack or ACM's web site at:

        http://www.ztrack.com/mrtsbcatpgs/ztrack_alancurtis.html
        > http://www.alancurtismodels.com/Z89ft.html
        >
        > Ztrack Magazine will be stocking these car kits. We
        > will have two versions
        > available. The first is set AC-Z-02. It is the kit
        > only with decals. Couplers
        > and trucks are not included. The cars will require
        > trucks #953 and couplers 905
        > from MTL. Ztrack is selling the kit for $18.00.
        >
        > The second kit is AC-Z-02T1. This kit includeinclude
        > the car, decals and
        > trucks and couplers. The complete set is $28.00.
        >
        > Ztrack does have in stock ACM's spine car kits.
        > These will make a complete
        > five unit train. We also have decals for the spine
        > car sets. See the Ztrack
        > Accessory order form on the Ztrack web site for
        > ordering information.
        >
        > Rob Kluz

        Hi Rob, when these kits are available? I've already
        ideas to kitbash them into three-level covered
        autoracks.....

        Dominique

      • sgt_tim7
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2 3:51 AM
          > Hi Rob, when these kits are available? I've already
          > ideas to kitbash them into three-level covered
          > autoracks.....
          >
          > Dominique

          Dominique,

          A certain individual in the "Z" community has been working with Mr.
          Curtis and his 89' flats for after market add on mods to create a
          three-level covered autorack. I have seen several photos of the
          prototypes and they look marvelous and are very nicely detailed. Last
          I heard, they were talking about both kit and RTR autoracks. Keep
          your ears open and your eyes peeled for this new "Z" item.

          Tim
        • ztrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2 6:11 AM
            Dominique,

            ACM does have the kits available now. I will be placing an order with him in
            the next week.

            Rob

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2 9:29 AM
              --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> a écrit :

              > > Hi Rob, when these kits are available? I've
              > already
              > > ideas to kitbash them into three-level covered
              > > autoracks.....
              > >
              > > Dominique
              >
              > Dominique,
              >
              > A certain individual in the "Z" community has been
              > working with Mr.
              > Curtis and his 89' flats for after market add on
              > mods to create a
              > three-level covered autorack. I have seen several
              > photos of the
              > prototypes and they look marvelous and are very
              > nicely detailed. Last
              > I heard, they were talking about both kit and RTR
              > autoracks. Keep
              > your ears open and your eyes peeled for this new "Z"
              > item.
              >
              > Tim

              WOOWW!!!! Thanks for the info Tim! What a great
              news!!!

              Dominique

            • Vincent Goudreault
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2 9:52 AM
                Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:26:24 EDT
                From: ztrack@...
                Subject: Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

[...]

                How many different reporting numbers can the kit decals support?
                This will determine how many kits I will want to get, amd I am sure
                several other people are approaching this the same way.

                CBVG
              • Vincent Goudreault
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2 10:00 AM
                  Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:51:47 -0000
                  From: "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...>
                  Subject: Re: Alan Curtis 89' flat cars

                  > Hi Rob, when these kits are available? I've already
                  > ideas to kitbash them into three-level covered
                  > autoracks.....
                  >
                  > Dominique

                  Dominique,

                  A certain individual in the "Z" community has been working with Mr.
                  Curtis and his 89' flats for after market add on mods to create a
                  three-level covered autorack. I have seen several photos of the
                  prototypes and they look marvelous and are very nicely detailed. Last
                  I heard, they were talking about both kit and RTR autoracks. Keep
                  your ears open and your eyes peeled for this new "Z" item.

                  Tim

                  Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level autoracks, and I had
                  the impression (I was driving at that time, so could not really stare
                  as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is smaller than other
                  cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used, aren't Z three-level
                  going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone comes up with
                  replacement wheel sets?

                  CBVG
                • ray
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2 12:21 PM
                    CBVG,

                    I'm sure specs vary, but according to some documentation that I have,
                    Bi-level autoracks were put on top of standard level flats which have
                    a 41.5" floor height with 33" wheels. Tri-level racks were put on
                    low level flats at a 31.5" floor level with 28" wheels.

                    It does look like the tri-level sits lower then the bi-level, but the
                    wheels on the tri-levels are usually covered more by the side of the
                    flat. The difference of 5 inches in wheel diameter in Z is .023" so
                    it may be able to be masked under the side of the flat with some
                    alterations to the flat itself.

                    -Ray

                    > Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level autoracks, and I
                    had
                    > the impression (I was driving at that time, so could not really
                    stare
                    > as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is smaller than other
                    > cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used, aren't Z three-
                    level
                    > going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone comes up with
                    > replacement wheel sets?
                    >

                    > CBVG
                  • de Champeaux Dominique
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2 12:25 PM
                      > Lately, I saw a consist featuring some three-level
                      > autoracks, and I had
                      > the impression (I was driving at that time, so could
                      > not really stare
                      > as much as I wanted) that the wheel's diameter is
                      > smaller than other
                      > cars. If this is the case, and MT trucks are used,
                      > aren't Z three-level
                      > going to ride a wee bit too high, unless someone
                      > comes up with
                      > replacement wheel sets?
                      >

                      > CBVG

                      Vincent, myself I oftenly wondered about this. But
                      it's worth to know that there is not a "standard"
                      diameter for wheels on prototype cars: let's consider
                      for example an articulated 3 or 5 platform double
                      stack car: the outer trucks have wheels with a given
                      diameter, and the inner trucks, those which share two
                      platforms, have a bigger diameter wheels. And if we
                      consider an autorack, given the higher gauge standard
                      (versus for example a standard 50' boxcar), it's true
                      that the wheels seem smaller. But maybe it's only a
                      feeling, considering the car's gauge.

                      And BTW, with a scale like ours, I think it's not
                      really a problem: myself I will consider a car as
                      prototypical if the truck's general shape matches what
                      we see on a prototype's picture, among other features.
                      And that's why a Z scale modern car rolling on MTL
                      roller bearing truck will appeal me, regardless its
                      wheels' diameter.

                      Dominique

                    • ztrack@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 2 6:55 PM
                        I have heard back from Tim at TNT concerning the roadnumbers. Here is his
                        response:

                        Each roadname has 2 different sets of numbers.  I can make many more if
                        anyone wants more numbers.  Notice, the top decals are for the flush side and the
                        bottom are for the channel side flats.  Those have yet to be printed, but this
                        week will be a done deal.  Notice, their are no such animal as a KTTX in Flush
                        and no TTWX in Channel side.  Just the luck of the draw.

                        Notice that their are also 2 sets of numbers for the draw bar TTEX cars.  In
                        actuality, a person could buy 4 flush side and make two differently numbered
                        sets.  Same for the channel side.

                        If anyone wants different decal numbers, tell them to send me an email.  I'm
                        thinking about doing some different roadname decals for the 89' also.

                        If anyone does require different roadnumbers or additional ones, you can
                        contact TNT at: sgt_tim1@...