Re: Custom Loco Work

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Bartolotto" <jsbart@p...> wrote:
      > Who out there should I contact to do custom loco work for me? I want
      > to take the Marklin Casey Jones 4-6-0 and make it into a 4-4-0?
      >
      > John Bartolotto

      John,
      I think you have an outstanding plan. I just looked at a few photos
      of the Casey Jones, and I believe it very feasible to convert into a 4-
      4-0. Would look marvelous. If I had a Casey Jones, I would convert it
      into "the General" and perhaps another into "the Texas". The two main
      locomotives involved in the Civil Wars Great Locomotive Chase!" The 4-
      4-0 "The General" is housed in the Kennassaw Railroad Museum about 20
      miles from me. "The Texas" is in the Cyclorama in Atlanta. Never seen
      the Texas yet. Again, outstanding plan you have. I hope you find
      someone to make the conversion for you. The Z community is long
      overdue for a larger variety of Steam Engines.

      Tim
    • Lajos Thek
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
        wrote:
        > I want to take the Marklin Casey Jones 4-6-0
        > and make it into a 4-4-0?

        Does the Casey Jones have the same chassis as
        the 88991 locomotive? If so, after the removal
        of front drivers, the center (slightly floating)
        wheel set need to become a "rigid" driver. I'll
        check with the 88991 how this fix can be done.
        Also, the "free swinging" pilot wheel assembly
        need to become rigid, and the flanges of front
        wheel set need to be turned down, so the locomotive
        will be able to negotiate smaller radiuses. Another
        important step is to re-balance the locomotive to
        have the correct weight at the front. The electric
        pick-up "skill" of the locomotive will suffer too,
        unless the front wipers are extended to at least
        to the rear pilot wheel. It sounds like fun...

        Lajos
      • John & Sue Bartolotto
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
          Lajos,

          It sure does look the same as the 8899/88991 series locomotive.

          Can I contact you off-line about this?

          John
        • Lajos Thek
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John & Sue Bartolotto" <jsbart@p...>
            wrote:
            > It sure does look the same as the 8899/88991
            > series locomotive.
            > Can I contact you off-line about this?

            Of course. You can do the modification, I'll
            help with a few suggestions.

            Lajos