Custom Loco Work

  • John Bartolotto
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
      Who out there should I contact to do custom loco work for me? I want
      to take the Marklin Casey Jones 4-6-0 and make it into a 4-4-0?

      John Bartolotto
    • sgt_tim7
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Bartolotto" <jsbart@p...> wrote:
        > Who out there should I contact to do custom loco work for me? I want
        > to take the Marklin Casey Jones 4-6-0 and make it into a 4-4-0?
        >
        > John Bartolotto

        John,
        I think you have an outstanding plan. I just looked at a few photos
        of the Casey Jones, and I believe it very feasible to convert into a 4-
        4-0. Would look marvelous. If I had a Casey Jones, I would convert it
        into "the General" and perhaps another into "the Texas". The two main
        locomotives involved in the Civil Wars Great Locomotive Chase!" The 4-
        4-0 "The General" is housed in the Kennassaw Railroad Museum about 20
        miles from me. "The Texas" is in the Cyclorama in Atlanta. Never seen
        the Texas yet. Again, outstanding plan you have. I hope you find
        someone to make the conversion for you. The Z community is long
        overdue for a larger variety of Steam Engines.

        Tim
      • Lajos Thek
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
          wrote:
          > I want to take the Marklin Casey Jones 4-6-0
          > and make it into a 4-4-0?

          Does the Casey Jones have the same chassis as
          the 88991 locomotive? If so, after the removal
          of front drivers, the center (slightly floating)
          wheel set need to become a "rigid" driver. I'll
          check with the 88991 how this fix can be done.
          Also, the "free swinging" pilot wheel assembly
          need to become rigid, and the flanges of front
          wheel set need to be turned down, so the locomotive
          will be able to negotiate smaller radiuses. Another
          important step is to re-balance the locomotive to
          have the correct weight at the front. The electric
          pick-up "skill" of the locomotive will suffer too,
          unless the front wipers are extended to at least
          to the rear pilot wheel. It sounds like fun...

          Lajos
        • John & Sue Bartolotto
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
            Lajos,

            It sure does look the same as the 8899/88991 series locomotive.

            Can I contact you off-line about this?

            John
          • Lajos Thek
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2005
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John & Sue Bartolotto" <jsbart@p...>
              wrote:
              > It sure does look the same as the 8899/88991
              > series locomotive.
              > Can I contact you off-line about this?

              Of course. You can do the modification, I'll
              help with a few suggestions.

              Lajos