Re: [z_scale] Turnout design

  • bjkronen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2001
      Hi all:

      > Maybe you should try to come up with a "live frog" design,

      To those trying to save us from Marklin turnouts:

      I hate to mention my past life in that "larger" scale, but N scale turnouts
      have in fact become pretty good in the last few years. Before re-inventing
      success though a lot of trial and error, it might be worthwhile to stop by a
      hobby shop and open up a few boxes of N turnouts and see what really works
      there. And I don't mean Atlas. Yes, a live frog design may be more
      difficult electrically to wire up, but gee, they work. And yes, you may have
      to use some styrene 0.010 shim stock on the guard rails to finish the turnout
      when you get home. But most of the nasty design stuff is done for you.

      The other option is to visit Garth's turf....on the Nn3 websites and lists.
      Those folks have identified and produced some really nice turnouts with
      simple bent/filed rail stock and PC ties. No hinged rail points. Live
      frogs. Even jigs. Again, all the years of work that has gone into their
      turnouts should not be ignored.

      Unless you have a LOT of spare time.

      Keep in mind, once you build the perfect turnout, you will find that you will
      have to fix the gauge of all your wheels on your train in order to use it. A
      good part of the problem is not just the turnout, its the wheel gauge, too.
      Mass production only gets them somewhere between N (1:160) scale and Ty
      (1:400) scale spacing. But "close" only counts in horseshoes and hand
      grenades.

      And if any of the plastic and/or etched brass after-market manufacturers are
      listening, we CERTAINLY NEED a rerailer in Z scale that looks like a grade
      crossing. <grin>

      Just some idle thoughts.

      Bill Kronenberger
      Houston