Back In Z, I'll Eat Crow

  • jcubbin@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
      Well,

      After proclaiming I was leaving Z for greener N pastures, I find myself
      back in the Z arena. After spending some (ok, all) of my free time in
      the last couple of days at a friend's N layout and several hobby stores
      examining N scale, I can't do it. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's
      true. Aside from the size, there's a real intangible with Z.

      Even with the Marklin turnout issues, It would seem I'm going Z or
      going bust. I think the reason for my rash decision to leave was that I
      had spent a couple of intense weeks cooking up a formula for a really
      quiet train board. After I realized I had nailed it, then I begin to
      see the turnout problems, What can I say... I snapped.

      One thing I realized was that in my opinion, when a big German steamer
      is running well in Z, nothing compares to it. I'll have to work around
      the turnout issue. For now, if I did nothing more than create several
      elevated loops with scratchbuilt bridges and infrared goodies along the
      way, I believe it would be ok.

      Another thing I noticed after frequenting many N scale forums, the
      people here are very helpful and knowledgeable. I don't think it's my
      imagination but there does seem to be a strong sense of community in Z,
      more so than elsewhere.

      So that's my mea cupla.

      John Cubbin
    • Reynard Wellman
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
        Hello John,

        Well, I guess welcome back for now. It's hard
        but worth it. I really like these discussions and
        criticisms, they spur investigation. Like this
        track and turnout discussion; I learned about the
        "Relco" generator. Had never heard of it before
        but thanks to all this chatter, I'm going to acquire
        one, as soon as I can get a hold of Stan Jones.

        As for choices in Z scale, I think this will continue
        to improve, hopefully before we're not all too
        ancient to enjoy it.

        As for support, yes, we are a small community and
        tend to know each other's capabilities. Each of us
        has something to offer. I especially enjoy; D.A. Karp,
        Jeffrey MacHan, Rob Kluz, Bill Kronen, Ole Rosted,
        Dieter and many many others.

        The more I read these guy's emails, the more I learn.
        Thanks to all.

        Reynard

        jcubbin@... wrote:
        edited...

        Another thing I noticed after frequenting many N scale forums, the
        people here are very helpful and knowledgeable. I don't think it's my
        imagination but there does seem to be a strong sense of community in Z,
        more so than elsewhere.

        So that's my mea cupla.

        John Cubbin

      • Ole Rosted
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
          On Sat, 03 Mar 2001 01:15:37 -0600, you wrote:

          Hi Raynard

          I will also welcome John back! Yes - the Z-scale is easy to become
          addicted to.
          I guess it is because it's an easy way to satisfiy the potential
          masochistic tendencies some believe are deep in us all.

          >I learned about the
          >"Relco" generator.

          I even went to the Relco site.
          (http://www.zmodeltrains.com/accessor.html) However I'm in doubt
          about the phrase:

          "but when the connection is poor
          the HF is instantly switched on, ionising the air gap."

          In my opinion "high frequecy" and "ionising the air gap" is just a
          nice way of saying "rail-eating sparks"

          But what would I know. When it comes to rail cleaning, I'm perfectly
          satisfied with Jay Greer's Trax Sticks. And believe me: my 8800 needs
          a lot of track-cleaning :-(

          > I especially enjoy; D.A. Karp,
          >Jeffrey MacHan, Rob Kluz, Bill Kronen, Ole Rosted,
          >Dieter and many many others.

          If I knew how to make a smiley with crimson ears I would put one right
          here.
          It's truly undeserved that my name is mentioned in this context. The
          guys named (except me) are some of the real gurus here.

          My contributions to this list is mostly talk about things I CAN'T do
          and silly questions.

          But thank you anyway.

          regards Ole Rosted
        • Bill Hoshiko
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
            jcubbin@... wrote:

            > Well,
            >
            > After proclaiming I was leaving Z for greener N pastures, I find
            > myself
            > back in the Z arena.

            We knew that you would be back John. If given half a chance you would
            climb Mt. Everest. There is nothing that a train, at a size 220th of
            the actual, could do that you could not bring whip into obedience.

            Welcome back! We don't need wimps, we need fighters. <;o))

            Bill
            El Toro
          • Jay & Anne Greer
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
              Bravo John!
              Jay Greer/Der Wegmann

              > From: jcubbin@...
              > Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 04:35:10 -0000
              > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [z_scale] Back In Z, I'll Eat Crow
              >
              > Well,
              >
              > After proclaiming I was leaving Z for greener N pastures, I find myself
              > back in the Z arena. After spending some (ok, all) of my free time in
              > the last couple of days at a friend's N layout and several hobby stores
              > examining N scale, I can't do it. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's
              > true. Aside from the size, there's a real intangible with Z.
              >
              > Even with the Marklin turnout issues, It would seem I'm going Z or
              > going bust. I think the reason for my rash decision to leave was that I
              > had spent a couple of intense weeks cooking up a formula for a really
              > quiet train board. After I realized I had nailed it, then I begin to
              > see the turnout problems, What can I say... I snapped.
              >
              > One thing I realized was that in my opinion, when a big German steamer
              > is running well in Z, nothing compares to it. I'll have to work around
              > the turnout issue. For now, if I did nothing more than create several
              > elevated loops with scratchbuilt bridges and infrared goodies along the
              > way, I believe it would be ok.
              >
              > Another thing I noticed after frequenting many N scale forums, the
              > people here are very helpful and knowledgeable. I don't think it's my
              > imagination but there does seem to be a strong sense of community in Z,
              > more so than elsewhere.
              >
              > So that's my mea cupla.
              >
              > John Cubbin

            • Jay & Anne Greer
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
                Well now there then Guys,

                I own a Relco unit! The Relco track cleaner will do a great job of keeping
                CLEAN TRACK clean! On the other hand, Trax Stix are the ultimate tool for
                preparing dirty, cruddy, oxidized and non conductive, non runnable track for
                the fine job that a Relco unit can do! I don't want to sound like a
                commercial here but the Trax Stix test team members are saying that their
                Z,N and TT track rails turn out looking cleaner and newer than new after a
                simple cleaning with Trax Stix. There, I have said it! I won't toot my own
                horn online any more! The next commercial will be posted in Ztrack Magazine.
                I wish you all the cleanest Trax!
                Sincerely,
                Jay Greer/Der Wegmann