Turnout design

  • obin69@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 3:11 PM
      Hi,

      I have been investigating the design of turnouts. By using jigs and
      templates I can batch produce a limited number.

      The first design is similar to the Marklin with hinged closure rails.
      It is complicated by the fact that I have had to split the frog and
      insulate each side. The downside of this design is that it needs the
      flange to be supported near the wings.

      The second design is much simpler and is what I believe to be a stud
      turnout. The whole of the centre section moves. Because the wings
      also move it means that the rail head is more even which is an
      advantage and gives a much smoother ride.

      Having at last acquired a loco to test the turnouts the results are
      quite encouraging.

      Are there any disadvantages to the stud type of turnout in terms of
      actually running the trains?

      Pete
    • Greg Elmassian
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3 6:26 AM
        I think it is called a "stub" there stud!

        The problem with stub turnouts is that there is
        no natural mechanical "stop" for the travel of the
        rails, in a normal turnout, pushing the rails as far
        as they go in either direction makes them tight up
        against the far rail, just where they want to be.

        For a stub turnout to work properly, there must be
        some mechanism to limit the travel, and it must be
        adjustable, to compensate for wear... I would think
        this would be either too costly or too bulky when implemented.

        Maybe you should try to come up with a "live frog" design,
        like the old tru-scale HO switches I had as a kid, where
        the frog is one piece, all metal, and the "center" section
        pivots that has the points and the rail that contacts the frog.

        Now the only problem you have is electrical, you need to insulate
        the frog, switch the frog power to whichever wing rail is appropriate,
        and remember you cannot drive into a switch backwards.

        You could make the switch such that there is uninterrupted power at
        all times, and the wheels are always on rail head.

        Just a thought...

        Greg

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3 7:45 AM
          Hi all:

          > Maybe you should try to come up with a "live frog" design,

          To those trying to save us from Marklin turnouts:

          I hate to mention my past life in that "larger" scale, but N scale turnouts
          have in fact become pretty good in the last few years. Before re-inventing
          success though a lot of trial and error, it might be worthwhile to stop by a
          hobby shop and open up a few boxes of N turnouts and see what really works
          there. And I don't mean Atlas. Yes, a live frog design may be more
          difficult electrically to wire up, but gee, they work. And yes, you may have
          to use some styrene 0.010 shim stock on the guard rails to finish the turnout
          when you get home. But most of the nasty design stuff is done for you.

          The other option is to visit Garth's turf....on the Nn3 websites and lists.
          Those folks have identified and produced some really nice turnouts with
          simple bent/filed rail stock and PC ties. No hinged rail points. Live
          frogs. Even jigs. Again, all the years of work that has gone into their
          turnouts should not be ignored.

          Unless you have a LOT of spare time.

          Keep in mind, once you build the perfect turnout, you will find that you will
          have to fix the gauge of all your wheels on your train in order to use it. A
          good part of the problem is not just the turnout, its the wheel gauge, too.
          Mass production only gets them somewhere between N (1:160) scale and Ty
          (1:400) scale spacing. But "close" only counts in horseshoes and hand
          grenades.

          And if any of the plastic and/or etched brass after-market manufacturers are
          listening, we CERTAINLY NEED a rerailer in Z scale that looks like a grade
          crossing. <grin>

          Just some idle thoughts.

          Bill Kronenberger
          Houston