Turnouts

  • Nelson Snedeker
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2001
      I have to add, with Relco and Wahl oil I have a test track with 2,
      1972 turnouts and a Layout (in process) with 2 , new turnouts and have
      no problem , crawling . or at 8 volt top speed. In almost a year I have
      not had to clean track or car wheels on either set up. I am also one of
      those that let the switch float so there is no distortion from the
      design. The two on my layout have been modified to operate with Atlas
      motors under the table with no problem. Give it another try guys
    • Dale Halterman
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2001
        I would be interested in knowing the pros and cons of floating switches. Dale

        Nelson Snedeker wrote:

        > I have to add, with Relco and Wahl oil I have a test track with 2,
        > 1972 turnouts and a Layout (in process) with 2 , new turnouts and have
        > no problem , crawling . or at 8 volt top speed. In almost a year I have
        > not had to clean track or car wheels on either set up. I am also one of
        > those that let the switch float so there is no distortion from the
        > design. The two on my layout have been modified to operate with Atlas
        > motors under the table with no problem. Give it another try guys

      • D. A. Karp
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2001
          There's a reason Marklin doesn't include holes for track nails in their
          turnouts; if you don't nail or glue your turnouts to your layout, they are
          less likely to be distorted by uneven roadbed. A distorted turnout will not
          only function poorly (or more poorly as the case may be), but derailments
          will be more likely as well. On my layout, I have fastened only the
          adjoining track; the only thing holding the turnouts down (besides the rail
          joiners) is the ballast , which is applied passively; that is, the ballast
          exerts no force on the turnouts, and has little adverse effect on their
          performance.

          As far as I can tell, the only "cons" to floating turnouts is that they can
          be more easily knocked out of alignment (unless you ballast them).

          At 08:50 PM 3/2/2001 -0500, Dale Halterman wrote:
          >I would be interested in knowing the pros and cons of floating switches. Dale

          http://www.creativelement.com/z/
        • Glen Chenier
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
            With all the recent posts on the new MTL Turnouts I have to throw
            these comments into the stew...

            30 years ago I built my first HO scale layout. I made the big mistake
            of using two different brands of turnouts (Atlas vs Bachmann). I got
            lucky - there actually was a wheel gauge adjustment that was accepted
            by both turnout dimensions. Standards? What standards?

            On my next HO layout I spiked rail and hand-laid turnouts to NMRA
            standards, having realized that at that time store-bought
            mass-produced turnouts were crap. My ties were wood matchsticks
            soaked in creosote (ahhh - that real railroad smell...) Never any
            problems after that. I could hand-propel a consist at 500 scale mph
            through a series of hand-laid turnouts with never a derailment.

            Moving on to N scale - my store-bought Peco turnouts were not NMRA
            compliant, as I unfortunately discovered when trying to use MTL low
            profile flanges. After a lot of mechanical filing I did get them to work.

            Here's my point - Joe and MTL are trying to provide the best possible
            product. Even with existing NMRA Standards in other scales there have
            been problems. In Z scale these standards are in attempted
            development but not yet final. Members of this list are working on the
            standards. It takes time...
          • Karin Svenson
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <chenierfam@...>
              wrote:
              > With all the recent posts on the new MTL Turnouts I have to throw
              > these comments into the stew...
              Standards? What standards?

              > Here's my point- Even with existing NMRA Standards in other scales
              there have been problems. In Z scale these standards are in
              attempted development but not yet final. Members of this list are
              working on the standards. It takes time...

              Glen, great contribution! You have proved that we CAN learn from
              the scales that ran before our own Z and its growing pains. I have
              two questions for you.

              1. If NMRA standards didn't exactly help you in the larger scales do
              we really want to push Z into set standards; which I find to be
              somewhat an oxymoron. And...

              2. "My ties were wood matchsticks soaked in creosote (ahhh - that
              real railroad smell...) Never any problems after that. I could
              hand-propel a consist at 500 scale mph through a series of hand-laid
              turnouts with never a derailment."

              I want to lay all my G scale brass track on cedar ties (yes, I
              realize that I, too, am talking a larger scale here but follow me).
              Where do you get REAL creosote and how do you keep from dying from
              the fumes when working with it. I am very serious on how to find
              the stuff, I'll figure out how to survive the odiferous
              concequenses ;o}

              Karin
            • Don Avila
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
                Any one notice that not a peep has been made about the fact that when
                MTL first came out with USA tie spacing and did not follow Marklin we
                got better looking track. It gets pretty tricky then to decide that
                someone's standards should be followed or only partly followed or not
                followed at all. MTL/Joe, just bring on more goodies.

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <chenierfam@...> wrote:

                > With all the recent posts on the new MTL Turnouts I have to throw
                > these comments into the stew...
                >
                > 30 years ago I built my first HO scale layout. I made the big mistake
                > of using two different brands of turnouts (Atlas vs Bachmann). I got
                > lucky - there actually was a wheel gauge adjustment that was accepted
                > by both turnout dimensions. Standards? What standards? [snip]
              • Ysbrand van der Veen
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
                  Hello Don,

                  The issue is compatibility i.e. the possibiblity of running trains
                  independent of the manufacturer on all kinds of track and switches.
                  Tie spacing doesn't have to do with compatibilaty in this sense, it's
                  just cosmetics.

                  On my test lay-out with an MT oval (couldn't buy the switches yet in
                  the Netherlands) and am extended Märklin Oval with a turnout and
                  double slip switch I ran all kinds of engines from Märklin, MT and
                  several European and US small series producers. No problems except
                  with the Cab Forward from a Friend that derailed on both MT and
                  Märklin track.

                  Best,
                  YSbrand

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

                  > Any one notice that not a peep has been made about the fact that
                  when
                  > MTL first came out with USA tie spacing and did not follow Marklin
                  we
                  > got better looking track. It gets pretty tricky then to decide that
                  > someone's standards should be followed or only partly followed or
                  not
                  > followed at all. MTL/Joe, just bring on more goodies.
                  >
                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <chenierfam@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > With all the recent posts on the new MTL Turnouts I have to throw
                  > > these comments into the stew...
                  > >
                  > > 30 years ago I built my first HO scale layout. I made the big
                  mistake
                  > > of using two different brands of turnouts (Atlas vs Bachmann). I
                  got
                  > > lucky - there actually was a wheel gauge adjustment that was
                  accepted
                  > > by both turnout dimensions. Standards? What standards? [snip]

                • Ell Geib
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
                    Glen,

                    Isn't the NMRA supposed to "chastise" manufacturers that don't meet
                    standards? Or at least put them on some non-approved list? Of course,
                    I don't know whether that would mean anything in practical terms or
                    not.

                    Ell Geib

                    >In z_scale@yahoogroups.com "Glen Chenier"
                    ><mailto:chenierfam@...?Subject=Re:
                    >Turnouts><chenierfam@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >With all the recent posts on the new MTL Turnouts I have to throw
                    >these comments into the stew...
                    >
                    >30 years ago I built my first HO scale layout. I made the big mistake
                    >of using two different brands of turnouts (Atlas vs Bachmann). I got
                    >lucky - there actually was a wheel gauge adjustment that was accepted
                    >by both turnout dimensions. Standards? What standards?
                    >
                    >SNIP

                  • Glen Chenier
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Ell Geib <geib@...> wrote:

                      > Isn't the NMRA supposed to "chastise" manufacturers that don't meet
                      > standards? Or at least put them on some non-approved list? Of course,
                      > I don't know whether that would mean anything in practical terms or
                      > not.

                      This is really a question for a NMRA member, but IMHO I don't think
                      the NMRA chastises any manufacturers - their customers (or sudden lack
                      of) probably do the necessary.
                    • Glen Chenier
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin Svenson" <karin@...> wrote:
                        > 1. If NMRA standards didn't exactly help you in the larger scales do
                        > we really want to push Z into set standards; which I find to be
                        > somewhat an oxymoron. And...

                        That was long ago and an example of what can happen when manufacturers
                        do not follow the standards and some poor consumer finds out only
                        after building the product into the layout; these days I would hope
                        that larger scales are better quality and inter-compatible. To ensure
                        that all maunfacturers' products will work together an 'official'
                        standard is necessary - that is why the NMRA is the the keeper of
                        these standards so that any manufacturer who wants to can design to
                        them. When an official standard does not exist, what dimensions does
                        a manufacturer design to?

                        There are some list members who have been heavily involved in setting
                        Z scale standards. The last I heard these standards have not yet been
                        ratified by the NMRA. Could we hear from these folks and get an
                        update on where things are at?

                        > 2. "My ties were wood matchsticks soaked in creosote (ahhh - that
                        > real railroad smell...)
                        >
                        > I want to lay all my G scale brass track on cedar ties (yes, I
                        > realize that I, too, am talking a larger scale here but follow me).
                        > Where do you get REAL creosote and how do you keep from dying from
                        > the fumes when working with it. I am very serious on how to find
                        > the stuff, I'll figure out how to survive the odiferous
                        > concequenses ;o}

                        I got the creosote at the local hardware store. In Canada. Years ago.
                        It has since been found to cause cancer (just learned that now from
                        Google) and may not be available anymore. Just did a web search at
                        Lowes.com and they say 'no longer available'. Wow - to think of all
                        those ties I spiked and touched that were soaked in that stuff - if my
                        fingers rot away in the next few years I'll know why. Lesson learned
                        - model railroad chemicals can be hazardous to your health.

                        Best forget about using creosote. Cedar should not need any
                        preservatives anyway.
                      • David George
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 2, 2006
                          NMRA encourages and offers a podium but does not control or enforce.

                          Mister Dave

                          Isn't the NMRA supposed to "chastise" manufacturers that don't meet
                          standards? Or at least put them on some non-approved list? Of course,
                          I don't know whether that would mean anything in practical terms or
                          not.

                          Ell Geib

                          >In z_scale@yahoogroups.com "Glen Chenier"
                          ><mailto:chenierfam@...?Subject=Re:
                          >Turnouts><chenierfam@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >With all the recent posts on the new MTL Turnouts I have to throw
                          >these comments into the stew...
                          >
                          >30 years ago I built my first HO scale layout. I made the big mistake
                          >of using two different brands of turnouts (Atlas vs Bachmann). I got
                          >lucky - there actually was a wheel gauge adjustment that was accepted
                          >by both turnout dimensions. Standards? What standards?
                          >
                          >SNIP

                        • David Epling
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 5, 2008
                            Greetings Earthlings,

                            Will MTL turnouts drop right into a slot that originally held a Marklin
                            turnout?

                            Thanks

                            David Epling
                            Manager
                            Western Pacific RR Museum
                            http://www.wplives.org
                            Museum: 530-832-4131
                            Cell: 209-915-5169
                            david_epling@...
                          • Robert Ray
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 5, 2008
                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

                              > Greetings Earthlings,
                              >
                              > Will MTL turnouts drop right into a slot that originally held a
                              Marklin
                              > turnout?

                              Yes they will, however the rail height might not be exactly the same
                              amd require a bit of filing if trains do wheel hopping on you.
                            • John Duino
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 5, 2008
                                Not quite, as the MTL's have the roadbed attached and Marklin's are plain.
                                Peter Wright turnouts do, but the tie-spacing is North American.

                                Why not just replace with Marklin (after some appropriate fine-tuning)?

                                John

                                > Greetings Earthlings,
                                >
                                > Will MTL turnouts drop right into a slot that originally held a Marklin
                                > turnout?
                                >
                                > Thanks
                                >
                                > David Epling
                                > Manager
                                > Western Pacific RR Museum
                                > http://www.wplives.org
                                > Museum: 530-832-4131
                                > Cell: 209-915-5169
                                > david_epling@...
                              • hobbycraftsnmore
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 5, 2008
                                  Hi David Epling

                                  As Robert said they will match up except the height. You can see the
                                  height difference on my website I have an area that shows how to join
                                  Marklin and MTL track together. Here is the link

                                  Just Copy and Paste

                                  http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com/FAQ%20Pages/Hobby/Trains/Z%
                                  20Scale/MTL%20Micro-Track%20connecting%20to%20Marklin%20Track.htm

                                  Kevin
                                  Hobby Crafts N More
                                  Website:
                                  www.hobbycraftsnmore.com
                                  Email:
                                  hobbycraftsnmorer@...

                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

                                  > Greetings Earthlings,
                                  >
                                  > Will MTL turnouts drop right into a slot that originally held a
                                  Marklin
                                  > turnout?

                                • David Epling
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                                    Thanks to all who replied. We will get the problem turnout under control
                                    today.