My 2 bits on turnouts

  • zscale@retrograde.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
      All I can add to the discussion of locos sticking at turnouts is that at least some prevention can be achieved by

      -- making sure the turnouts and the connecting sections of track are lying on a solid, even roadbed;

      -- making sure the rails are clean;

      -- investing in a Relco generator.

      I thought I was looking forward to a career of loco-nudging until I tried one of those Relcos. Afterwards it seemed like Z just might work after all. :)

      -- Andy Hunting
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
        I must agree with Andy. The RELCO really has aided my locomotive performance,
        especially through the turnouts. No more stalling at normal running speeds
        and slightly below. I am not at the layout currently, but I do have easily
        close to 30 turnouts on the layout. This number is growing constantly (the
        layout is now roughly 2' x 26'). The most problems I experience are from the
        fixed frame steam locos. I will see slight performance degradation with my
        2-10-0s for instance. My truck based locos such as F7s and German class 111s
        have no problem. Even my new Insider locomotive from Märklin (4-6-4) runs
        great throughout the turnouts.

        The most modification I have found is an occasional filing of some points in
        the turnout. I add a slight angle were the wheels hit to help ease the loco
        into the turnout. Mind you, I only have had to do this to maybe three
        turnouts.

        Finally, I have heard that we can expect Z scale turnouts from another
        manufacturer other than Märklin. These turnouts have been in the research
        stage for many years and I expect this year to be the one when they are
        released.

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com
      • Greg Elmassian
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
          Excuse my ignorance, what is a relco generator?

          All I can add to the discussion of locos sticking at turnouts is that at
          least some prevention can be achieved by

          -- making sure the turnouts and the connecting sections of track are lying
          on a solid, even roadbed;

          -- making sure the rails are clean;

          -- investing in a Relco generator.

          I thought I was looking forward to a career of loco-nudging until I tried
          one of those Relcos. Afterwards it seemed like Z just might work after all.
          :)

          -- Andy Hunting

        • D. A. Karp
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001