Re: [z_scale] Sadly,HO, N & Z Have Problems

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      Hello N & Z Scale,

      I started out in HO scale in the late 50s. Had problems with
      with everything; track, turnouts, engines, rolling stock.
      It was not until the early 60s that we saw some better performing
      engines and turnouts at a reasonable price.

      When N scale first came out in the mid 60s I was one
      of the first to purchase Arnold Rapido products. As
      the sole providers of N scale products they
      were in the position that Marklin is in today with Z.
      Arnold invented and created all the standards for N scale.
      But it wasn't until the 80s that decent competition and better
      trackwork came out for N scale. I still remember my
      disappointment with bad N scale turnouts, bad performing
      engines, ad nauseum. By the late 80s-90s, N scale had
      manufacturers like Kato, who through sheer quality
      improvements, forced manufacturers like Atlas,
      Bachman, Peco and even Arnold to step up to plate
      or get washed out.

      Marklin can and will do better. Competition will drive them
      to it. The smaller the scale, the more sensitive all mechanisms
      are to misalignments, manufacturing errors, dust and grime.
      If I had the space and the money, I would build myself
      an O scale empire, but I would always have my charming
      miniature Z scale empire in an adjoining area.

      Now that N scale has started to mature, I understand
      completely anyone who desires to switch to that scale.
      Z scale and Nn3 has had a long hard infancy and will
      not mature until there is serious competition, especially
      in the trackwork department.

      Best of luck,
      Reynard Wellman, DBA Micron Art

      "D. A. Karp" wrote:

      Well, I wish you luck.  I agree that sometimes having to tap locomotives to
      make them move is aggravating - it's one of the concessions we Z-scalers
      make.  The problem is that one makes concessions when working in any scale
      - you just have to choose which concessions are acceptable to you.  My $.02...