Re: [z_scale] Sadly, Done With Z

  • D. A. Karp
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
      Well, I wish you luck. I agree that sometimes having to tap locomotives to
      make them move is aggravating - it's one of the concessions we Z-scalers
      make. The problem is that one makes concessions when working in any scale
      - you just have to choose which concessions are acceptable to you. My $.02...

      At 05:52 PM 3/1/2001 +0000, you wrote:
      >Well,
      >
      >After reading all the posts and working on the turnout situation (power
      >on some loks cutting out), I just got back from Goodwill and they were
      >happy to take them. It probably seems like an drastic thing to do, but
      >if I have to resort to tapping a table surface to coax a train through
      >a turnout....
      >
      >Given the hours (weeks, months?) that go into working on a layout, I
      >just can't see accepting this kind of performance. Nor when I purchase
      >a fairly expensive locomotive or turnout should I have to modify it so
      >it will work. Not work better than anything I've ever seen, but just
      >work, I have too great a problem with that.
      >
      >I'll have a look at N scale and see if they suffer from many of the
      >same issues.
      >
      >At any rate, the reason for this writing is to thank all of the people
      >who were kind enough to share their experience and knowledge. Most of
      >what I learned here seems applicable to any other scale, and they time
      >they took to answer questions wasn't wasted.
      >
      >Thank You
      >John Cubbin

      http://www.creativelement.com/z/
    • Ajay Ravindranathan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
        Hi John,

        I do hope you were being facetious with the 'given it to Goodwill comment.  As a runner of both N-scale and Z scale locos, I do see a marked improvement in the running quality and detailing in N scale. If you use Peco turnouts and Atlas, Kato or Life-Like diesels, you can literally crawl through turnouts with not so much as a stutter.  Most new engines have all-wheel pick-ups anyway and are easy to convert to DCC.  However, Z locos are smaller than N, and that makes a difference, both as far as appeal is concerned (Wow, look how tiny it is and it actually works) and performance (light enough that unless the wheels are perfectly clean and all the pick-up wheels are in contact with the rails, erratic performance results). Size is the limiting factor here and it is a big one.  Also, there is only one major manufacturer of Z locomotives and that is Marklin.  Given the lack of competition, they pretty much control in what direction the gauge goes.  While I too have been dis-satisfied with Z turnouts etc, I found a way to reconcile my need to run the smallest trains in the world and to make use of my considerable investment in N and DCC.  My layout is N scale, but at the rear providing a forced perspective of distance is a Z scale double track main (no turnouts).  I use a MT F7 that has been super-detailed with styrene window glass, windshied wipers and headlight bezels.  I do all of my switching in N and enjoy all the benefits of DCC, and get to run my Z engines (OK, I confess!  Sometimes Deutch Bundesbahn and SBB loks do traverse the upper circuit!!!!).  Some day when I have a load of time to scratch build and tweak Z turnouts, I will do that.  It appears that a lot of listanauts find that very rewarding.  In the mean-time I'll stick to my compromise and run both gauges!!

        Later,
        Ajay

        --
        Ajay Ravindranathan, PhD
        Gallo Center & Dept. of Neurology,

        Phone: 510-985-3934
        Fax: 510-985-3101
        E-mail: ajayrav@...

      • Jay & Anne Greer
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
          Well now there then John,
          My wife has a strange habit of stalling when she should be on the move. I
          have to think of ways to coax her into getting going without making a
          federal case of it! Still I love her and wouldn't even think of trading her
          in on a newer model that would most likely have her own set of quirks. If
          you are really determined to leave Z for greener pastures try checking out
          TT scale 1:120. The trains run very well, are moderately priced and are a
          nice size. The prime manufacturer Tillig has a web site and there is an
          active group on Yahoo.
          Best wishes,
          Jay Greer/Der Wegmann