Re: [z_scale] Direction?

  • D. A. Karp
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
      This is a common problem with locomotives that have been taken apart for
      service or lubrication and then reassembled incorrectly. For electric and
      diesel locomotives with moving trucks, simply switch the trucks. For small
      steam engines, turn the motor housing 180-degrees. For other models, you
      may have to flip over the motor. To determine which engines are running
      correctly, and which need to be fixed, remember that the right-hand rail is
      always positive, and the left-hand rail is always ground (from the point of
      view of the train engineer).

      More details on fixing engine direction can be found here:
      http://www.creativelement.com/z/articles/revival.html

      At 10:18 AM 3/1/2001 +0000, you wrote:
      >I have bought some new and second Z; I discovered that not all trains
      >run in the same direction on the same track supply.
      >
      >Opening some of the loco's it seems not that easy task to change the
      >pickup connections to the motor terminals.
      >
      >Did MARKLIN change the winding directions on the armature at some
      >time?
      >
      >Is there a fix for this problem please helps?

      http://www.creativelement.com/z/
    • Gunnar Edebrant
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
        Greetings,

        >Sometimes at time of service the magnets may get put in in the wrong
        >direction. This makes the motor run backwards.

        True, I've experienced the same behaviour on my old trusty 8800. On the
        smaller steam and diesels this is easy resolved. Just remove the shell
        and then the stationary part of the engine (the one containing the
        magnets) and put it back turned 180 degrees. This stationary part is
        either fastened with a couple tiny screws or simply snapped into
        position. I haven't really had any experience with the bigger steam-,
        deisel- or electrical-loks but I guess the same is true for them as well.
        I guess the list can provide you with hints needed to perform the same
        operation on these.

        Cheers, Gunnar Edebrant, from a snowy and cold Gothenburg, Sweden.