Re: [z_scale] Direction?

  • M. Gottschalch
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
      coetzjh@... wrote:

      > I have bought some new and second Z; I discovered that not all trains
      > run in the same direction on the same track supply.
      >
      > Opening some of the loco's it seems not that easy task to change the
      > pickup connections to the motor terminals.
      >
      > Did MARKLIN change the winding directions on the armature at some
      > time?
      >
      > Is there a fix for this problem please helps?

      Sometimes at time of service the magnets may get put in in the wrong
      direction. This makes the motor run backwards.

      --
      Manfred
    • D. A. Karp
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
        This is a common problem with locomotives that have been taken apart for
        service or lubrication and then reassembled incorrectly. For electric and
        diesel locomotives with moving trucks, simply switch the trucks. For small
        steam engines, turn the motor housing 180-degrees. For other models, you
        may have to flip over the motor. To determine which engines are running
        correctly, and which need to be fixed, remember that the right-hand rail is
        always positive, and the left-hand rail is always ground (from the point of
        view of the train engineer).

        More details on fixing engine direction can be found here:
        http://www.creativelement.com/z/articles/revival.html

        At 10:18 AM 3/1/2001 +0000, you wrote:
        >I have bought some new and second Z; I discovered that not all trains
        >run in the same direction on the same track supply.
        >
        >Opening some of the loco's it seems not that easy task to change the
        >pickup connections to the motor terminals.
        >
        >Did MARKLIN change the winding directions on the armature at some
        >time?
        >
        >Is there a fix for this problem please helps?

        http://www.creativelement.com/z/
      • Gunnar Edebrant
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
          Greetings,

          >Sometimes at time of service the magnets may get put in in the wrong
          >direction. This makes the motor run backwards.

          True, I've experienced the same behaviour on my old trusty 8800. On the
          smaller steam and diesels this is easy resolved. Just remove the shell
          and then the stationary part of the engine (the one containing the
          magnets) and put it back turned 180 degrees. This stationary part is
          either fastened with a couple tiny screws or simply snapped into
          position. I haven't really had any experience with the bigger steam-,
          deisel- or electrical-loks but I guess the same is true for them as well.
          I guess the list can provide you with hints needed to perform the same
          operation on these.

          Cheers, Gunnar Edebrant, from a snowy and cold Gothenburg, Sweden.