RE: [Z_Scale] An important question about the SW-1 kit

  • Edward Scullin
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
      Lajos
      Is it posssible to use CA to hold pieces together for soldering?
      That would make it easier for those with out the necessary skill sets
      and tools to hold pieces together .
      Ed Scullin

      --- Ted LaMar <ted_lamar@...> wrote:

      > I think Dans' suggestion is great!!
      >
      > I am in the same boat and would be intimidated if not armed with
      > this information.

      > <snip>
      > Lajos,
      > Solder is fine by me as well. However, since my soldering
      > experience is
      > limited to circuit boards, wire, rails, and the occasional copper
      > pipe, maybe you
      > could recommend what wattage soldering iron to use, your preferred
      > solder and
      > flux, and heat sink placement. This might make things a little
      > easier on those
      > of us that have mostly electronic soldering experience. Thanks.
      > Looking
      > forward to the kit.
      > Dan S.

      Yahoo! Sports
      http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
    • richardminutillo
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
        Lajos,

        Metal-to-metal should probably be soldered; I can't imagine any other
        method yielding the same strength. Those of us who are timid about
        soldering (like me) will probably order a completed shell or a
        completed engine, as long as you offer those options to the solder-shy
        and kit-shy.

        RGM

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Lajos Thek" <olaj@d...> wrote:
        > During the long development process of this
        > kit I had only one assembly method in my mind,
        > soldering. While I'm preparing the assembly
        > instructions became clear, if someone use
        > CA glue and epoxy, some steps of the assembly
        > will become very difficult, unless I make some
        > changes. Should I seriously consider the
        > solderless assembly, as alternative?
        > If so, should I stock and sell industrial quality
        > CA glue and epoxy, developed for metals?
        >
        > Lajos
      • pray59_3
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
          I have a 250 Watt American Beauty set that I want to try out on those
          shells. It has enough power to almost spot weld, so should be up to the
          task. I originally was using it for handlaid track, but often it would
          vaporize the copper off the copper clad board.

          -Robert
        • John Duino
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
            Personally I'm more apprehensive about trying to paint one than build one!

            John