Re: [Z_Scale] An important question about the SW-1 kit

  • Michael Hilliard
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1 4:59 AM
      Lajos,

      No matter what, I want, I want. Solder to me is best rather than glue and instructions I find to be more complicated than the actual model, trying to consider all skill levels. I'd just need photos of the completed model to assemble and finnish myself, I usually can figure out the rest from that. I prefer solder, if you can see a need for hard soldering for certain parts I would be happy to help this fall. I already have 2 marklin 5 pole locos awaiting for your SW conversion kit's, I cant wait. BTW, is your soldering question pertaining to just the shell and/or the chassie as well? Copper plating would alow the marklin chassie/frame parts to be solderable... just a thought...

      Michael Hilliard

      dpstripe@... wrote:
      Lajos,
      Solder is fine by me as well. However, since my soldering experience is
      limited to circuit boards, wire, rails, and the occasional copper pipe, maybe you
      could recommend what wattage soldering iron to use, your preferred solder and
      flux, and heat sink placement. This might make things a little easier on those
      of us that have mostly electronic soldering experience. Thanks. Looking
      forward to the kit.
      Dan S.

    • Edward Scullin
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1 6:42 AM
        Lajos
        Is it posssible to use CA to hold pieces together for soldering?
        That would make it easier for those with out the necessary skill sets
        and tools to hold pieces together .
        Ed Scullin

        --- Ted LaMar <ted_lamar@...> wrote:

        > I think Dans' suggestion is great!!
        >
        > I am in the same boat and would be intimidated if not armed with
        > this information.

        > <snip>
        > Lajos,
        > Solder is fine by me as well. However, since my soldering
        > experience is
        > limited to circuit boards, wire, rails, and the occasional copper
        > pipe, maybe you
        > could recommend what wattage soldering iron to use, your preferred
        > solder and
        > flux, and heat sink placement. This might make things a little
        > easier on those
        > of us that have mostly electronic soldering experience. Thanks.
        > Looking
        > forward to the kit.
        > Dan S.

        Yahoo! Sports
        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
      • richardminutillo
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1 7:10 AM
          Lajos,

          Metal-to-metal should probably be soldered; I can't imagine any other
          method yielding the same strength. Those of us who are timid about
          soldering (like me) will probably order a completed shell or a
          completed engine, as long as you offer those options to the solder-shy
          and kit-shy.

          RGM

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Lajos Thek" <olaj@d...> wrote:
          > During the long development process of this
          > kit I had only one assembly method in my mind,
          > soldering. While I'm preparing the assembly
          > instructions became clear, if someone use
          > CA glue and epoxy, some steps of the assembly
          > will become very difficult, unless I make some
          > changes. Should I seriously consider the
          > solderless assembly, as alternative?
          > If so, should I stock and sell industrial quality
          > CA glue and epoxy, developed for metals?
          >
          > Lajos
        • pray59_3
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1 9:21 AM
            I have a 250 Watt American Beauty set that I want to try out on those
            shells. It has enough power to almost spot weld, so should be up to the
            task. I originally was using it for handlaid track, but often it would
            vaporize the copper off the copper clad board.

            -Robert
          • John Duino
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1 10:32 AM
              Personally I'm more apprehensive about trying to paint one than build one!

              John