Re: [Z_Scale] I wonder...

  • robertfage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 1, 2005
      Bill, I am referring to the main places I get my z items from i.e UK,
      Netherlands and Germany, which you agree do not accept it as much, and again we are
      not so much talking about shops. We were mainly discuss ebay and in the
      earlier days before Paypal really made it easy you had to either offer credit
      card facilities which I did until ebay got control of paypal. I still run up
      against problems from the whole of Europe (excluding the UK) I am mainly
      taking about the euro zone. We find they use a lot of IBAN (International bank
      transfers ... but like Bidpay and Western Union but much safer) you will find
      shops asking you to pay by bank to bank transfer. Also remember bill credit
      card charges are much higher in Europe than the USA. I would not think of
      visiting the USA without several cards as try checking into a hotel or renting a
      car without one even if you have a stack of US$. In Europe you still see a
      lot of cash. I sold only the other day on ebay a lone start metal push along
      train set for £102.00 and the chap sent me the money in cash, now that is a
      lot to send by post. But the point I was hoping to make Bill was that since
      paypal has come of age, there is no reason not to be able to trade
      internationally. I got a parcel from my favourite seller in the Netherlands today..
      posted Wednesday delivered Friday morning. I paid him at 8.30 UK time (9.30 in
      Holland) on Wednesday morning by paypal. Now that show how it can work... and
      yes the 4 z gauge engines were 100% as always.. a real gem this Dutch person.

      Bob

    • robertfage@aol.com
      Message 37 of 37 , Jul 1, 2005
        Abbey National (which in the UK is a bank and a building Society) want £25
        to do an IBAN tranasfer. I agree the old euro cheques (checks) were great. I
        also agree sometimes it is easier to go to the post office or travel agents
        (no commission charges at post offices in the UK) and get the euros in cash.
        The only problem is all our local post office have been closed and it is a
        pain to go into town .... Tunbridge Wells is the Capital of cable laying, road
        works and gridlocks... as my bumper sticker says. Personally I cannot see
        the UK joining the euro zone the way things have gone recently with the votes
        of the French and Dutch people. I used to manage very well when each country
        had it's own currency, all said and done I have always had to buy US$ for my
        visits if I do not want to use my credit cards all the time. Lastly often
        you get a better deal if it is good old hard currency.

        Bob Fage in the UK