An important question about the SW-1 kit

  • Lajos Thek
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
      During the long development process of this
      kit I had only one assembly method in my mind,
      soldering. While I'm preparing the assembly
      instructions became clear, if someone use
      CA glue and epoxy, some steps of the assembly
      will become very difficult, unless I make some
      changes. Should I seriously consider the
      solderless assembly, as alternative?
      If so, should I stock and sell industrial quality
      CA glue and epoxy, developed for metals?

      Lajos
    • John Duino
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
        Personally I prefer the solder if it's metal-metal.

        --
        *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
        | John Duino | 23 Tidewater Cove |
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Lajos Thek" <olaj@d...> wrote:
          I don't think I could endure another delay, so I think, soldering is
          fine, and, if someone cannot solder, maybe they opt for the finished
          product when available.

          As for me, I plan on getting mine as soon as available, in case you
          change your mind on releasing them. :)

          -RObert
        • dpstripe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
            Lajos,
            Solder is fine by me as well. However, since my soldering experience is
            limited to circuit boards, wire, rails, and the occasional copper pipe, maybe you
            could recommend what wattage soldering iron to use, your preferred solder and
            flux, and heat sink placement. This might make things a little easier on those
            of us that have mostly electronic soldering experience. Thanks. Looking
            forward to the kit.
            Dan S.

          • Ted LaMar
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
              I think Dans' suggestion is great!!

              I am in the same boat and would be intimidated if not armed with this information.

              <snip>
              Lajos,
              Solder is fine by me as well. However, since my soldering experience is
              limited to circuit boards, wire, rails, and the occasional copper pipe, maybe you
              could recommend what wattage soldering iron to use, your preferred solder and
              flux, and heat sink placement. This might make things a little easier on those
              of us that have mostly electronic soldering experience. Thanks. Looking
              forward to the kit.
              Dan S.
            • Michael Hilliard
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                Lajos,

                No matter what, I want, I want. Solder to me is best rather than glue and instructions I find to be more complicated than the actual model, trying to consider all skill levels. I'd just need photos of the completed model to assemble and finnish myself, I usually can figure out the rest from that. I prefer solder, if you can see a need for hard soldering for certain parts I would be happy to help this fall. I already have 2 marklin 5 pole locos awaiting for your SW conversion kit's, I cant wait. BTW, is your soldering question pertaining to just the shell and/or the chassie as well? Copper plating would alow the marklin chassie/frame parts to be solderable... just a thought...

                Michael Hilliard

                dpstripe@... wrote:
                Lajos,
                Solder is fine by me as well. However, since my soldering experience is
                limited to circuit boards, wire, rails, and the occasional copper pipe, maybe you
                could recommend what wattage soldering iron to use, your preferred solder and
                flux, and heat sink placement. This might make things a little easier on those
                of us that have mostly electronic soldering experience. Thanks. Looking
                forward to the kit.
                Dan S.

              • Edward Scullin
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                  Lajos
                  Is it posssible to use CA to hold pieces together for soldering?
                  That would make it easier for those with out the necessary skill sets
                  and tools to hold pieces together .
                  Ed Scullin

                  --- Ted LaMar <ted_lamar@...> wrote:

                  > I think Dans' suggestion is great!!
                  >
                  > I am in the same boat and would be intimidated if not armed with
                  > this information.

                  > <snip>
                  > Lajos,
                  > Solder is fine by me as well. However, since my soldering
                  > experience is
                  > limited to circuit boards, wire, rails, and the occasional copper
                  > pipe, maybe you
                  > could recommend what wattage soldering iron to use, your preferred
                  > solder and
                  > flux, and heat sink placement. This might make things a little
                  > easier on those
                  > of us that have mostly electronic soldering experience. Thanks.
                  > Looking
                  > forward to the kit.
                  > Dan S.

                  Yahoo! Sports
                  http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
                • richardminutillo
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                    Lajos,

                    Metal-to-metal should probably be soldered; I can't imagine any other
                    method yielding the same strength. Those of us who are timid about
                    soldering (like me) will probably order a completed shell or a
                    completed engine, as long as you offer those options to the solder-shy
                    and kit-shy.

                    RGM

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Lajos Thek" <olaj@d...> wrote:
                    > During the long development process of this
                    > kit I had only one assembly method in my mind,
                    > soldering. While I'm preparing the assembly
                    > instructions became clear, if someone use
                    > CA glue and epoxy, some steps of the assembly
                    > will become very difficult, unless I make some
                    > changes. Should I seriously consider the
                    > solderless assembly, as alternative?
                    > If so, should I stock and sell industrial quality
                    > CA glue and epoxy, developed for metals?
                    >
                    > Lajos
                  • pray59_3
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                      I have a 250 Watt American Beauty set that I want to try out on those
                      shells. It has enough power to almost spot weld, so should be up to the
                      task. I originally was using it for handlaid track, but often it would
                      vaporize the copper off the copper clad board.

                      -Robert
                    • John Duino
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                        Personally I'm more apprehensive about trying to paint one than build one!

                        John