Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Air Brush

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
      Ed and others:

      > Bought a small airbrush at harbor freight yesterday for 4.99.

      Like all of you, I have a couple of these inexpensive air brushes. And I
      have a medium-high cost Badger as well. If your luck holds when you buy the
      cheaper tool, you may find that both do just as good a job on most of your paint
      needs. Mine do. Not that I'm any kind of expert at air brushing at this
      point.

      However, I have one $3 airbrush that spits consistently. But I didn't throw
      it away. It's perfect for adding "oil drops" and "oil streaks" to the
      centerline of roads. It makes a perfect simulation of z scale autos with oil
      dripping out of engines on the road. There's no way I could hand paint those random
      perfectly scale tiny round drops down the center of the lanes on roads.

      Hope this helps someone to consider the bright side of defective $3
      airbrushes.

      Bill K.
      Houston

    • Lajos Thek
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:

        > However, I have one $3 airbrush that spits consistently.
        > But I didn't throw it away. It's perfect for adding
        > "oil drops" and "oil streaks" to the centerline of roads...

        Another good use of cheap "random detail" airbrushes is
        to use them as air nozzle to clean parts, even locomotives.
        I still use the slightly "oily" tuner cleaners to dissolve
        old solid dirty oil from gears, etc, then blow all the ugly
        mess away with the "useless" airbrush.

        Lajos
      • Ted LaMar
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
          Make sure you use an oil/water filter in the line.

          >Tim etal
          >Bought a small airbrush at harbor freight yesterday for 4.99. Has a
          >fitting from 1/2 pipe threads in the package (the main reason I
          >bought it). Now I can hook it up to my elcheapo compressor.
          >Ed Scullin
        • Ted LaMar
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
            Harborfreight is cool. I get some stuff there. But, generally, I find their tools to be the asian copies of tools. I don't think anything they sell is made in America. [Could defintely be wrong on that one....]

            MicroMark is also a good place to get tools. IMO a bit higher quality - and a higher price, of course.

            http://www.micromark.com/

            >I have a cheap-O airbrush I use for average "Z" stuff that cost me
            >about $8.00 a few years ago. Harbor Freight
            >http://www.harborfreight.com has the same one for $16 now. It uses a
            >can of air. The cans of air
          • Edward Scullin
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
              I have hardly any experience with air brushes. I figured I could get
              a cheap one to try out, and then upgrade as I get more proficient. I
              plan on painting a lot of plastic bags and cardboard boxes before I
              try to paint my "junk" cars. It will be a while before I would
              consider a locomotive (unless magic happens).
              MEA CULPA it was a 1/4inch adaptor not a 1/2 inch. It hooks up
              directly to the Harbor Freight air hoses. Be sure to use teflon
              tape.
              Ed Scullin

              -- zbendtrack@... wrote:

              > Ed and others:
              >
              > > Bought a small airbrush at harbor freight yesterday for 4.99.
              >
              > Like all of you, I have a couple of these inexpensive air brushes.
              > And I
              > have a medium-high cost Badger as well. If your luck holds when
              > you buy the
              > cheaper tool, you may find that both do just as good a job on most
              > of your paint
              > needs. Mine do. Not that I'm any kind of expert at air brushing
              > at this
              > point.
              >
              > However, I have one $3 airbrush that spits consistently. But I
              > didn't throw
              > it away. It's perfect for adding "oil drops" and "oil streaks" to
              > the
              > centerline of roads. It makes a perfect simulation of z scale
              > autos with oil
              > dripping out of engines on the road. There's no way I could hand
              > paint those random
              > perfectly scale tiny round drops down the center of the lanes on
              > roads.
              >
              > Hope this helps someone to consider the bright side of defective $3
              >
              > airbrushes.
              >
              > Bill K.
              > Houston

              Discover Yahoo!