Air Brush

  • tomzom
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29 7:05 PM
      Can anyone suggest a good airbrush to use for Z Scale Model work such
      as weathering and scenicing.

      Thanks for your help in advance,

      Tom
    • thomascb2004
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30 12:01 AM
        Tom,

        I have an inexpensive Testors airbrush that only uses canned air. I
        belive it is fine if you do only VERY infrequent airbrushing since
        the cans of air are expensive and have a rather variable air
        pressure. I also have a Paasche double-action airbrush with an
        inexpensive Target air compressor. It is very good and far exceeds
        my ability to use. It is also a bit more expensive.

        For weathering I tend to use washes, dry brushing and chalk. I have
        not yet used an airbrush for scenicing.

        Have fun and enjoy!

        Tom

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "tomzom" <tomzom@a...> wrote:
        > Can anyone suggest a good airbrush to use for Z Scale Model work
        such
        > as weathering and scenicing.
        >
        > Thanks for your help in advance,
        >
        > Tom
      • sgt_tim7
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 30 5:35 AM
          Tom
          I have a cheap-O airbrush I use for average "Z" stuff that cost me
          about $8.00 a few years ago. Harbor Freight
          http://www.harborfreight.com has the same one for $16 now. It uses a
          can of air. The cans of air are not cheap so I rigged mine to use
          regulated air from a small 1 gallon air compressor I bought at Harbor
          Freight. Harbor Freight has a generic airbrush that is a copy of a
          Badger airbrush. Much more sophisticated than the $16 Cheap-O that
          they carry. Before you go off the deep end I suggest shopping around.
          Heck, try Harbor Freight for all your tool needs first. They have many
          good deals on tools that are common and a must, for Z scalers. Ask
          Bill Kronenberger in Houston. If I'm not mistaken, he just moved next
          to the Harbor Freight there so it is closer to his house. OK, Just
          kidding on that one. But Bill and I recommend checking them out for
          tools. They have sales all the time. Have fun weathering!

          Tim

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "tomzom" <tomzom@a...> wrote:
          > Can anyone suggest a good airbrush to use for Z Scale Model work such
          > as weathering and scenicing.
          >
          > Thanks for your help in advance,
          >
          > Tom
        • Edward Scullin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30 6:31 AM
            Tim etal
            Bought a small airbrush at harbor freight yesterday for 4.99. Has a
            fitting from 1/2 pipe threads in the package (the main reason I
            bought it). Now I can hook it up to my elcheapo compressor.
            Ed Scullin

            --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

            > Tom
            > I have a cheap-O airbrush I use for average "Z" stuff that cost me
            > about $8.00 a few years ago. Harbor Freight
            > http://www.harborfreight.com has the same one for $16 now. It uses
            > can of air. The cans of air are not cheap so I rigged mine to use
            > regulated air from a small 1 gallon air compressor I bought at
            > Harbor
            > Freight. Harbor Freight has a generic airbrush that is a copy of a
            >
            > Badger airbrush. Much more sophisticated than the $16 Cheap-O that
            >
            > they carry. Before you go off the deep end I suggest shopping
            > around.
            > Heck, try Harbor Freight for all your tool needs first. They have
            > many
            > good deals on tools that are common and a must, for Z scalers. Ask
            >
            > Bill Kronenberger in Houston. If I'm not mistaken, he just moved
            > next
            > to the Harbor Freight there so it is closer to his house. OK, Just
            >
            > kidding on that one. But Bill and I recommend checking them out
            > for
            > tools. They have sales all the time. Have fun weathering!
            >
            > Tim
            >

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "tomzom" <tomzom@a...> wrote:
            > > Can anyone suggest a good airbrush to use for Z Scale Model work
            > such
            > > as weathering and scenicing.
            > >
            > > Thanks for your help in advance,
            > >
            > > Tom

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • pray59_3
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 30 7:06 AM
              I have an Aztek airbrush that was reasonable, and it really does a nice
              job, as well as being very easy to use and control. Th fact that they
              are solde at almost every hobby shop, and have several available
              nozzles to cover almost any hobby paint make the Aztek an attractive
              choice. I like mine!

              -Robert
            • zbendtrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 30 7:11 AM
                Ed and others:

                > Bought a small airbrush at harbor freight yesterday for 4.99.

                Like all of you, I have a couple of these inexpensive air brushes. And I
                have a medium-high cost Badger as well. If your luck holds when you buy the
                cheaper tool, you may find that both do just as good a job on most of your paint
                needs. Mine do. Not that I'm any kind of expert at air brushing at this
                point.

                However, I have one $3 airbrush that spits consistently. But I didn't throw
                it away. It's perfect for adding "oil drops" and "oil streaks" to the
                centerline of roads. It makes a perfect simulation of z scale autos with oil
                dripping out of engines on the road. There's no way I could hand paint those random
                perfectly scale tiny round drops down the center of the lanes on roads.

                Hope this helps someone to consider the bright side of defective $3
                airbrushes.

                Bill K.
                Houston

              • Lajos Thek
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 30 7:49 AM
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:

                  > However, I have one $3 airbrush that spits consistently.
                  > But I didn't throw it away. It's perfect for adding
                  > "oil drops" and "oil streaks" to the centerline of roads...

                  Another good use of cheap "random detail" airbrushes is
                  to use them as air nozzle to clean parts, even locomotives.
                  I still use the slightly "oily" tuner cleaners to dissolve
                  old solid dirty oil from gears, etc, then blow all the ugly
                  mess away with the "useless" airbrush.

                  Lajos
                • Ted LaMar
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 30 10:47 AM
                    Make sure you use an oil/water filter in the line.

                    >Tim etal
                    >Bought a small airbrush at harbor freight yesterday for 4.99. Has a
                    >fitting from 1/2 pipe threads in the package (the main reason I
                    >bought it). Now I can hook it up to my elcheapo compressor.
                    >Ed Scullin
                  • Ted LaMar
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 30 11:03 AM
                      Harborfreight is cool. I get some stuff there. But, generally, I find their tools to be the asian copies of tools. I don't think anything they sell is made in America. [Could defintely be wrong on that one....]

                      MicroMark is also a good place to get tools. IMO a bit higher quality - and a higher price, of course.

                      http://www.micromark.com/

                      >I have a cheap-O airbrush I use for average "Z" stuff that cost me
                      >about $8.00 a few years ago. Harbor Freight
                      >http://www.harborfreight.com has the same one for $16 now. It uses a
                      >can of air. The cans of air
                    • Edward Scullin
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                        I have hardly any experience with air brushes. I figured I could get
                        a cheap one to try out, and then upgrade as I get more proficient. I
                        plan on painting a lot of plastic bags and cardboard boxes before I
                        try to paint my "junk" cars. It will be a while before I would
                        consider a locomotive (unless magic happens).
                        MEA CULPA it was a 1/4inch adaptor not a 1/2 inch. It hooks up
                        directly to the Harbor Freight air hoses. Be sure to use teflon
                        tape.
                        Ed Scullin

                        -- zbendtrack@... wrote:

                        > Ed and others:
                        >
                        > > Bought a small airbrush at harbor freight yesterday for 4.99.
                        >
                        > Like all of you, I have a couple of these inexpensive air brushes.
                        > And I
                        > have a medium-high cost Badger as well. If your luck holds when
                        > you buy the
                        > cheaper tool, you may find that both do just as good a job on most
                        > of your paint
                        > needs. Mine do. Not that I'm any kind of expert at air brushing
                        > at this
                        > point.
                        >
                        > However, I have one $3 airbrush that spits consistently. But I
                        > didn't throw
                        > it away. It's perfect for adding "oil drops" and "oil streaks" to
                        > the
                        > centerline of roads. It makes a perfect simulation of z scale
                        > autos with oil
                        > dripping out of engines on the road. There's no way I could hand
                        > paint those random
                        > perfectly scale tiny round drops down the center of the lanes on
                        > roads.
                        >
                        > Hope this helps someone to consider the bright side of defective $3
                        >
                        > airbrushes.
                        >
                        > Bill K.
                        > Houston

                        Discover Yahoo!