US Road & RR Signs...WOW...what a find

  • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29 6:12 PM
      Hi All:

      Did I ever stumble into something outstanding for Z modelers who follow US
      prototype scenery. I can hardly believe the results:

      First, visit this outstanding website put together by a Department of
      Transportation employee:

      <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/rcmoeur/signman.html">Manual of
      Traffic Signs</A>

      Go to the bottom. He has over 220 highway and RR signs in GIF format, all in
      identical 200x200 pixel format, in the absolutely correct colors, size,
      lettering, everything. Click on any thumbnail picture to make it expand to
      200x200 before you save it. Unbelieveable amount of well done work. This
      guy is great. Hours and hours of great work.

      For starters:

      Take one of the GIF images, and put it into your Graphics software package.
      I use Paint Shop Pro, but there are a ton of graphics software packages out
      there, all about the same in features.

      I set the print setup to output the 200x200 image in a 0.15 x 0.15 inch
      format, at 1440 dots per inch on the printer, and hit Print.

      When I picked up my 10x pair of extra eyes, I fell over. A perfect Z scale
      stop sign. A perfect z scale crossbucks. A perfect speed limit sign. WOW.

      Now for my second round of effort. It gets better.

      Assemble a single GIF image which contains a hundred or so signs you might
      want.
      Test print it on paper and set your graphics processor to output it in
      whatever size it takes to make the signs come out z scale. Use the highest
      resolution your printer can take. Now take the plain paper out of the
      printer.

      Use plastic transparency film made for "view-graph" projectors. Yes, I know
      the wet ink won't absorb in the plastic. Not to worry. Just carefully take
      the "wet" printout out of your printer and let it dry for a hour. If you are
      in a real hurry, get out a hair dryer and dry it with hot air. Once dry,
      turn it over and spray the backside with a 99 cent can of silver or grey
      spray paint. When that's dry, lightly spray the front size with dull coat to
      protect the inkjet paint.

      Now cut out hundreds of perfect z scale signs....on plastic....with a metal
      looking back. The plastic will be stable over time. Can be glued to a wire
      or square post, and put right on the layout or RR right-of-way.

      Signs included are RR crossbucks, RR warning, road-to-RR intersections, and a
      very, very complete set of speed signs, highway signs, stop, yield, no
      parking, one-way, etc. This site has it all.

      Thank heavens for the web.

      Bill Kronenberger
      Houston