Re: [Z_Scale] Swiss Alps!

  • Robert Cardinaux
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
      nooo prob
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: David George
      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 8:46 PM
      Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Swiss Alps!

      Sorry Robert,,I get on this thing and start wholesale scanning and I don't always get the latest or oldest figured out when I respond to an

    • Kari Tanskanen
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
        Actually, if you are only planning to travel within Switzerland,
        the best ticket is the Swiss Pass
        ( http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/sts.htm )
        which basically includes all public transportation, trains,
        buses, lake steamers, even some cable cars. Just a few tourist
        only mountain tracks like the train to Jungfraujoch are excluded.
        And the pass can be bought locally e.g. from the airport, so there's
        no need to hassle with travel agents and their inevitable commissions.
        Orient Express is for luxury, but I want to stay in the Alps, not
        just rush through.

        (I'll be in Switzerland 9th - 25th July.)
        Kari Tanskanen

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
        > Robert C,
        > Go to www.raileurope.com or call 1-800-438-7245 And get a
        railpass to suite your needs. Multi countries,,3 - 4- 5 etc.day
        passes.Its a breeze. Rail Europe will help yopu out.

        > Cordially,
        > Mister Dave
        >
        > Robert Cardinaux <roberttip@h...> wrote:
        > depends on where you're coming from, and where yo're going to, but
        there are great train/boat/bus combos that can take you all over the
        place on the same ticket . . . do you want a suggested route?

        Service.

        Service.

      • Jens Wimmel
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
          Tim,

          as I live in the swiss alps - yes I took the most trains through the
          alps and they are all fantastic!
          Orient express runs through the alps via Lausanne - Simplon.
          For discover the alps there are better trains and lines.

          Gotthard line is interesting to take photos because of many freight and
          international passenger trains, Lötschberg-Simplon line too. Both are
          really mainlines with 10+ trains an hour. A journey on this lines is
          fantastic too, amazing views, interesting layout with spirals, change of
          country style and language.

          Really nice are the narrow gauge lines of Rhätische Bahn (RhB) and
          Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn (MGB). Not only the Glacier Express is an
          interesting train, but it is an unforgetable experience!

          Every time in the year has its special attraction. Weather in the alps
          is normally not 5 days the same, you'll every time have the chance for
          sun, rain or snow.
          Some links:

          http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/int-gaeste-panoramastrecken.htm
          http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/welcome.cfm
          http://www.rhb.ch/index.e.php
          http://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/1glac_1.html

          If you have more questions, don't hesitate...

          Regards,
          Jens

          sgt_tim7 schrieb:
          > Just out of curiosity, has any member of this group taken a train ride
          > thru the Alps? Am I correct in saying that part of the Orient
          > Express, the red cars, actually make their way all the way into the
          > Alps? How much does a trip like this cost? What is the scenery
          > like? What time of the year is the best time to take on this trip?
          > Is their a better train ride in Europe? Your tales are much
          > appreciated! :)
          >
          > Tim

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        • bill.foote
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
            Rob,

            Will you be looking in at the Treff?

            Bill Foote <http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote>

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
              Tim,
              You owe it to yourself to check out the Rigibahn!
              http://www.rigi.ch/website/deutsch/index.html
              Jay Greer/Trax Inc.

              on 6/1/05 17:43, Robert Cardinaux at roberttip@... wrote:

              > hi (Gruezi) Mister Dave, it wasn't me (I'm swiss) it was Sgt_Tim7!! ;-)

            • Robert Toole
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                Tim,
                PBS did a series called Swiss Railway Journeys 1,2 & 3
                and they were only available in VHS. Acorn Media,
                Bethesda, Md was the distributor. Their website is
                <www.mcornmedia.com>.
                Oh, on the Jungfraujoch, it you take the 1st train of
                the day, there is a discount. In fact alot of the
                tourist lines offer a discount on their 1st run of the
                day.
                After reading all the replys to your question, my
                favorite train is the MOB which runs from Montreaux to
                Zweisimmen. It begins on Lake Geneva and connects with
                trains to Interlaken.
                Here are a few websites you may want to check out.
                www.bt-bahn.ch, www.glacerexpress.ch, www.rhb.ch,
                www.matterhorn-gotthard-bahn.ch, www.bls.ch,
                www.mob.ch
                They should keep you busy for a while.
                As you can see, my interest is Swiss RR.
                Have fun surfing.
                Robert

                --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

                > Just out of curiosity, has any member of this group
                > taken a train ride
                > thru the Alps? Am I correct in saying that part of
                > the Orient
                > Express, the red cars, actually make their way all
                > the way into the
                > Alps? How much does a trip like this cost? What is
                > the scenery
                > like? What time of the year is the best time to
                > take on this trip?
                > Is their a better train ride in Europe? Your tales
                > are much
                > appreciated! :)
                >
                > Tim

                __________________________________
                Discover Yahoo!
                http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
              • ztrack@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                  Bill,

                  Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend Treff this year. I have been to the
                  last two, but I can't make it this year. We are preparing for the Z scale
                  convention and the National Train Show and my time is limited. I am returning to
                  the States the Friday before Treff begins. I hope you have a great time!

                  Rob

                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                  Dublin, OH 43016
                  phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                  http://www.ztrack.com/
                  Distributor for American Z Line

                • Thomas Habrik
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Great to hear, that so many Z enthusiast have visited my country. Thanks
                    a lot! Hopefully a lot more will do so.

                    Personally, I suggest a ride from Chur with the narrow track train down
                    to Italy. It is called the “Bernina Express” and it is run by the
                    Rhätische Bahn.
                    This train company does cover the south east part of Switzerland:

                    Streckenkarte

                    The route of the Bernina Express:
                    Streckenkarte

                    It goes up to over 2000 meter without any help (conventional adhesive
                    track)

                    Link:
                    www.rhb.ch <http://www.rhb.ch/>

                    best regards
                    Thomas

                    Actually, if you are only planning to travel within Switzerland,
                    the best ticket is the Swiss Pass
                    ( http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/sts.htm )
                    which basically includes all public transportation, trains,
                    buses, lake steamers, even some cable cars. Just a few tourist
                    only mountain tracks like the train to Jungfraujoch are excluded.
                    And the pass can be bought locally e.g. from the airport, so there's
                    no need to hassle with travel agents and their inevitable commissions.
                    Orient Express is for luxury, but I want to stay in the Alps, not
                    just rush through.

                    (I'll be in Switzerland 9th - 25th July.)
                    Kari Tanskanen

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
                    > Robert C,
                    > Go to www.raileurope.com or call 1-800-438-7245 And get a
                    railpass to suite your needs. Multi countries,,3 - 4- 5 etc.day
                    passes.Its a breeze. Rail Europe will help yopu out.

                    > Cordially,
                    > Mister Dave
                    >
                    > Robert Cardinaux <roberttip@h...> wrote:
                    > depends on where you're coming from, and where yo're going to, but
                    there are great train/boat/bus combos that can take you all over the
                    place on the same ticket . . . do you want a suggested route?

                    Service.

                    Service.

                    _____

                  • Robert Toole
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 7, 2005
                      Jens,
                      I like your Zett-Zeit site. I have reviewed
                      everything that is there. I really like the new layout
                      you are building and those helixs that you
                      constructed. Are you going to install catenary over
                      the tracks and on the helixs? I even viewed the video
                      that is on your website. Just wanted to give you sone
                      strokes for your hard work.
                      Robert
                      SoCal, USA

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 8, 2005
                        sorry, I forgot, that the mailing list does not take pictures and
                        therefore my eMail did not make really sense

                        Therefore find below the respective links:

                        the south-east corner of Switzerland with all the interesting train
                        routes:
                        http://www.rhb.ch/erlebniszuege/erlebniszuege.e.php

                        the bernina route including the profile of the tracks:
                        http://www.rhb.ch/berninaexpress/berninaexpress.e.php

                        and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about
                        http://212.11.63.76/mapsgene/dm/GKiCaZZ99ioaR5E6JcUnc4fBrLZO3z8xcUhIkUuE
                        pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S
                        4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g
                        y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn
                        et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH

                        any further question about Switzerland?
                        http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/welcome.cfm
                        with a good link to rail passes:
                        http://myswitzerland.raileurope.com/us/index.htm

                        best regards
                        Thomas

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 8, 2005
                          Hello Thomas,

                          > and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about

                          http://212.11.63.76/mapsgene/dm/GKiCaZZ99ioaR5E6JcUnc4fBrLZO3z8xcUhIkUuE
                          pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S
                          4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g
                          y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn
                          et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH

                          Sorry, but I wasn't able to restore that link...
                          maybe if you post it again as a tinyurl link it would work...

                          --
                          GreetingZ
                          Uwe
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 9, 2005
                            I see, I get even with links in troubles

                            go to www.viamichelin.com
                            search for the City "Chur" in "Switzerland" and you get the starting point
                            of the Bernina rail trip

                            >-- Original-Nachricht --
                            >To: Thomas Habrik <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
                            >From: Uwe Liermann <maillist@...>
                            >Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 23:29:52 +0200
                            >Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Swiss Alps!

                            ><tt>
                            >Hello Thomas,<BR>
                            ><BR>
                            >> and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about<BR>
                            ><BR>
                            >pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S<BR>
                            >4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g<BR>
                            >y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn<BR>
                            >et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH<BR>
                            > <BR>
                            >Sorry, but I wasn't able to restore that link...<BR>
                            >maybe if you post it again as a tinyurl link it would work...<BR>
                            ><BR>
                            >-- <BR>
                            >GreetingZ<BR>
                            >Uwe<BR>
                            ><BR>
                            ></tt>

                            ><tt>
                            >-Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!<BR>
                            ></tt>
                            >

                            ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                            ><tt><hr width="500">
                            ><ul>