Re: [Z_Scale] Swiss Alps!

  • Robert Cardinaux
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
      hi (Gruezi) Mister Dave, it wasn't me (I'm swiss) it was Sgt_Tim7!! ;-)

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
        Sorry Robert,,I get on this thing and start wholesale scanning and I don't always get the latest or oldest figured out when I respond to an issue.
        Mr D.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
          Ted, the Krokodils are still WORKING museums. Every once in a while they still get out and pull freight.

          And hey, did you see the latest on exchange rates? After the no votes on the EU Constitution the value of the Euro dropped.

          Randy Smidt

          Ted LaMar <ted_lamar@...> wrote:

          And of course you've heard of the Gotthard pass?? Where the Krokodils used to pull freight. You can take trains over that too and go through more tunnels than one could ever count.

          Oh yeah - Bring a ton of money. Especially since the dollar is so weak, everything will seem expensive. It's expensive when the dollar is strong. ;) But that's only because it is the best place to be.

        • Robert Cardinaux
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
            nooo prob
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
              Actually, if you are only planning to travel within Switzerland,
              the best ticket is the Swiss Pass
              ( http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/sts.htm )
              which basically includes all public transportation, trains,
              buses, lake steamers, even some cable cars. Just a few tourist
              only mountain tracks like the train to Jungfraujoch are excluded.
              And the pass can be bought locally e.g. from the airport, so there's
              no need to hassle with travel agents and their inevitable commissions.
              Orient Express is for luxury, but I want to stay in the Alps, not
              just rush through.

              (I'll be in Switzerland 9th - 25th July.)
              Kari Tanskanen

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
              > Robert C,
              > Go to www.raileurope.com or call 1-800-438-7245 And get a
              railpass to suite your needs. Multi countries,,3 - 4- 5 etc.day
              passes.Its a breeze. Rail Europe will help yopu out.

              > Cordially,
              > Mister Dave
              >
              > Robert Cardinaux <roberttip@h...> wrote:
              > depends on where you're coming from, and where yo're going to, but
              there are great train/boat/bus combos that can take you all over the
              place on the same ticket . . . do you want a suggested route?

              Service.

              Service.

            • Jens Wimmel
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                Tim,

                as I live in the swiss alps - yes I took the most trains through the
                alps and they are all fantastic!
                Orient express runs through the alps via Lausanne - Simplon.
                For discover the alps there are better trains and lines.

                Gotthard line is interesting to take photos because of many freight and
                international passenger trains, Lötschberg-Simplon line too. Both are
                really mainlines with 10+ trains an hour. A journey on this lines is
                fantastic too, amazing views, interesting layout with spirals, change of
                country style and language.

                Really nice are the narrow gauge lines of Rhätische Bahn (RhB) and
                Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn (MGB). Not only the Glacier Express is an
                interesting train, but it is an unforgetable experience!

                Every time in the year has its special attraction. Weather in the alps
                is normally not 5 days the same, you'll every time have the chance for
                sun, rain or snow.
                Some links:

                http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/int-gaeste-panoramastrecken.htm
                http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/welcome.cfm
                http://www.rhb.ch/index.e.php
                http://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/1glac_1.html

                If you have more questions, don't hesitate...

                Regards,
                Jens

                sgt_tim7 schrieb:
                > Just out of curiosity, has any member of this group taken a train ride
                > thru the Alps? Am I correct in saying that part of the Orient
                > Express, the red cars, actually make their way all the way into the
                > Alps? How much does a trip like this cost? What is the scenery
                > like? What time of the year is the best time to take on this trip?
                > Is their a better train ride in Europe? Your tales are much
                > appreciated! :)
                >
                > Tim

                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

              • bill.foote
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                  Rob,

                  Will you be looking in at the Treff?

                  Bill Foote <http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote>

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Tim,
                    You owe it to yourself to check out the Rigibahn!
                    http://www.rigi.ch/website/deutsch/index.html
                    Jay Greer/Trax Inc.

                    on 6/1/05 17:43, Robert Cardinaux at roberttip@... wrote:

                    > hi (Gruezi) Mister Dave, it wasn't me (I'm swiss) it was Sgt_Tim7!! ;-)

                  • Robert Toole
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                      Tim,
                      PBS did a series called Swiss Railway Journeys 1,2 & 3
                      and they were only available in VHS. Acorn Media,
                      Bethesda, Md was the distributor. Their website is
                      <www.mcornmedia.com>.
                      Oh, on the Jungfraujoch, it you take the 1st train of
                      the day, there is a discount. In fact alot of the
                      tourist lines offer a discount on their 1st run of the
                      day.
                      After reading all the replys to your question, my
                      favorite train is the MOB which runs from Montreaux to
                      Zweisimmen. It begins on Lake Geneva and connects with
                      trains to Interlaken.
                      Here are a few websites you may want to check out.
                      www.bt-bahn.ch, www.glacerexpress.ch, www.rhb.ch,
                      www.matterhorn-gotthard-bahn.ch, www.bls.ch,
                      www.mob.ch
                      They should keep you busy for a while.
                      As you can see, my interest is Swiss RR.
                      Have fun surfing.
                      Robert

                      --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

                      > Just out of curiosity, has any member of this group
                      > taken a train ride
                      > thru the Alps? Am I correct in saying that part of
                      > the Orient
                      > Express, the red cars, actually make their way all
                      > the way into the
                      > Alps? How much does a trip like this cost? What is
                      > the scenery
                      > like? What time of the year is the best time to
                      > take on this trip?
                      > Is their a better train ride in Europe? Your tales
                      > are much
                      > appreciated! :)
                      >
                      > Tim

                      __________________________________
                      Discover Yahoo!
                      http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
                    • ztrack@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                        Bill,

                        Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend Treff this year. I have been to the
                        last two, but I can't make it this year. We are preparing for the Z scale
                        convention and the National Train Show and my time is limited. I am returning to
                        the States the Friday before Treff begins. I hope you have a great time!

                        Rob

                        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                        Dublin, OH 43016
                        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                        http://www.ztrack.com/
                        Distributor for American Z Line

                      • Thomas Habrik
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                          Great to hear, that so many Z enthusiast have visited my country. Thanks
                          a lot! Hopefully a lot more will do so.

                          Personally, I suggest a ride from Chur with the narrow track train down
                          to Italy. It is called the “Bernina Express” and it is run by the
                          Rhätische Bahn.
                          This train company does cover the south east part of Switzerland:

                          Streckenkarte

                          The route of the Bernina Express:
                          Streckenkarte

                          It goes up to over 2000 meter without any help (conventional adhesive
                          track)

                          Link:
                          www.rhb.ch <http://www.rhb.ch/>

                          best regards
                          Thomas

                          Actually, if you are only planning to travel within Switzerland,
                          the best ticket is the Swiss Pass
                          ( http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/sts.htm )
                          which basically includes all public transportation, trains,
                          buses, lake steamers, even some cable cars. Just a few tourist
                          only mountain tracks like the train to Jungfraujoch are excluded.
                          And the pass can be bought locally e.g. from the airport, so there's
                          no need to hassle with travel agents and their inevitable commissions.
                          Orient Express is for luxury, but I want to stay in the Alps, not
                          just rush through.

                          (I'll be in Switzerland 9th - 25th July.)
                          Kari Tanskanen

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
                          > Robert C,
                          > Go to www.raileurope.com or call 1-800-438-7245 And get a
                          railpass to suite your needs. Multi countries,,3 - 4- 5 etc.day
                          passes.Its a breeze. Rail Europe will help yopu out.

                          > Cordially,
                          > Mister Dave
                          >
                          > Robert Cardinaux <roberttip@h...> wrote:
                          > depends on where you're coming from, and where yo're going to, but
                          there are great train/boat/bus combos that can take you all over the
                          place on the same ticket . . . do you want a suggested route?

                          Service.

                          Service.

                          _____

                        • Robert Toole
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 7, 2005
                            Jens,
                            I like your Zett-Zeit site. I have reviewed
                            everything that is there. I really like the new layout
                            you are building and those helixs that you
                            constructed. Are you going to install catenary over
                            the tracks and on the helixs? I even viewed the video
                            that is on your website. Just wanted to give you sone
                            strokes for your hard work.
                            Robert
                            SoCal, USA

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 8, 2005
                              sorry, I forgot, that the mailing list does not take pictures and
                              therefore my eMail did not make really sense

                              Therefore find below the respective links:

                              the south-east corner of Switzerland with all the interesting train
                              routes:
                              http://www.rhb.ch/erlebniszuege/erlebniszuege.e.php

                              the bernina route including the profile of the tracks:
                              http://www.rhb.ch/berninaexpress/berninaexpress.e.php

                              and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about
                              http://212.11.63.76/mapsgene/dm/GKiCaZZ99ioaR5E6JcUnc4fBrLZO3z8xcUhIkUuE
                              pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S
                              4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g
                              y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn
                              et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH

                              any further question about Switzerland?
                              http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/welcome.cfm
                              with a good link to rail passes:
                              http://myswitzerland.raileurope.com/us/index.htm

                              best regards
                              Thomas

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 8, 2005
                                Hello Thomas,

                                > and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about

                                http://212.11.63.76/mapsgene/dm/GKiCaZZ99ioaR5E6JcUnc4fBrLZO3z8xcUhIkUuE
                                pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S
                                4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g
                                y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn
                                et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH

                                Sorry, but I wasn't able to restore that link...
                                maybe if you post it again as a tinyurl link it would work...

                                --
                                GreetingZ
                                Uwe
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 9, 2005
                                  I see, I get even with links in troubles

                                  go to www.viamichelin.com
                                  search for the City "Chur" in "Switzerland" and you get the starting point
                                  of the Bernina rail trip

                                  >-- Original-Nachricht --
                                  >To: Thomas Habrik <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
                                  >From: Uwe Liermann <maillist@...>
                                  >Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 23:29:52 +0200
                                  >Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Swiss Alps!

                                  ><tt>
                                  >Hello Thomas,<BR>
                                  ><BR>
                                  >> and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about<BR>
                                  ><BR>
                                  >pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S<BR>
                                  >4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g<BR>
                                  >y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn<BR>
                                  >et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH<BR>
                                  > <BR>
                                  >Sorry, but I wasn't able to restore that link...<BR>
                                  >maybe if you post it again as a tinyurl link it would work...<BR>
                                  ><BR>
                                  >-- <BR>
                                  >GreetingZ<BR>
                                  >Uwe<BR>
                                  ><BR>
                                  ></tt>

                                  ><tt>
                                  >-Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!<BR>
                                  ></tt>
                                  >

                                  ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                                  ><tt><hr width="500">
                                  ><ul>