Re: [Z_Scale] Swiss Alps!

  • Robert Cardinaux
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
      depends on where you're coming from, and where yo're going to, but there are great train/boat/bus combos that can take you all over the place on the same ticket . . . do you want a suggested route?

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
        Strangely enough, I will be there next week. We will be spending six days
        filming, shooting and researching the Swiss Rail Lines. It sounds like quite an
        adventure and I can't wait! Most of our time will be on the Gotthard line
        though we plan to branch out and take the trains to destinations around the
        country. I can't wait!

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        http://www.ztrack.com/
        Distributor for American Z Line

      • Robert Cardinaux
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
          Hey Rob, have a good trip. Check out these photos ( when the page opens, Click on Fluelen, Gurtnellen, Wassen, Goschenen, waypoints on theGotthardbahn NordSeite) from a guy who keeps me in supply of scenery ideas for the Gotthardbahn.

          http://tinyurl.com/98hmx

          If you get a chance to snap a roll of photos of Wassen station, I'd appreciate it.
          Regards

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
            Rob,
            This past February. I rode the Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt,,,St Moritz to Bernina Pass ( Diavolezza ski area ),,,The Loetschberg-Centovalli Express from Zermatt to Logano,, ,and Zermatt to Zurich -thru Bern.
            Wintertime Alps are spectacular too. All my train riding days were unbelieveably sunny.
            Enjoy the ride !
            Mister Dave

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
              Robert C,
              Go to www.raileurope.com or call 1-800-438-7245 And get a railpass to suite your needs. Multi countries,,3 - 4- 5 etc.day passes.Its a breeze. Rail Europe will help yopu out.

              Cordially,
              Mister Dave

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                hi (Gruezi) Mister Dave, it wasn't me (I'm swiss) it was Sgt_Tim7!! ;-)

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                  Sorry Robert,,I get on this thing and start wholesale scanning and I don't always get the latest or oldest figured out when I respond to an issue.
                  Mr D.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                    Ted, the Krokodils are still WORKING museums. Every once in a while they still get out and pull freight.

                    And hey, did you see the latest on exchange rates? After the no votes on the EU Constitution the value of the Euro dropped.

                    Randy Smidt

                    Ted LaMar <ted_lamar@...> wrote:

                    And of course you've heard of the Gotthard pass?? Where the Krokodils used to pull freight. You can take trains over that too and go through more tunnels than one could ever count.

                    Oh yeah - Bring a ton of money. Especially since the dollar is so weak, everything will seem expensive. It's expensive when the dollar is strong. ;) But that's only because it is the best place to be.

                  • Robert Cardinaux
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                      nooo prob
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                        Actually, if you are only planning to travel within Switzerland,
                        the best ticket is the Swiss Pass
                        ( http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/sts.htm )
                        which basically includes all public transportation, trains,
                        buses, lake steamers, even some cable cars. Just a few tourist
                        only mountain tracks like the train to Jungfraujoch are excluded.
                        And the pass can be bought locally e.g. from the airport, so there's
                        no need to hassle with travel agents and their inevitable commissions.
                        Orient Express is for luxury, but I want to stay in the Alps, not
                        just rush through.

                        (I'll be in Switzerland 9th - 25th July.)
                        Kari Tanskanen

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
                        > Robert C,
                        > Go to www.raileurope.com or call 1-800-438-7245 And get a
                        railpass to suite your needs. Multi countries,,3 - 4- 5 etc.day
                        passes.Its a breeze. Rail Europe will help yopu out.

                        > Cordially,
                        > Mister Dave
                        >
                        > Robert Cardinaux <roberttip@h...> wrote:
                        > depends on where you're coming from, and where yo're going to, but
                        there are great train/boat/bus combos that can take you all over the
                        place on the same ticket . . . do you want a suggested route?

                        Service.

                        Service.

                      • Jens Wimmel
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                          Tim,

                          as I live in the swiss alps - yes I took the most trains through the
                          alps and they are all fantastic!
                          Orient express runs through the alps via Lausanne - Simplon.
                          For discover the alps there are better trains and lines.

                          Gotthard line is interesting to take photos because of many freight and
                          international passenger trains, Lötschberg-Simplon line too. Both are
                          really mainlines with 10+ trains an hour. A journey on this lines is
                          fantastic too, amazing views, interesting layout with spirals, change of
                          country style and language.

                          Really nice are the narrow gauge lines of Rhätische Bahn (RhB) and
                          Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn (MGB). Not only the Glacier Express is an
                          interesting train, but it is an unforgetable experience!

                          Every time in the year has its special attraction. Weather in the alps
                          is normally not 5 days the same, you'll every time have the chance for
                          sun, rain or snow.
                          Some links:

                          http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/int-gaeste-panoramastrecken.htm
                          http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/welcome.cfm
                          http://www.rhb.ch/index.e.php
                          http://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/1glac_1.html

                          If you have more questions, don't hesitate...

                          Regards,
                          Jens

                          sgt_tim7 schrieb:
                          > Just out of curiosity, has any member of this group taken a train ride
                          > thru the Alps? Am I correct in saying that part of the Orient
                          > Express, the red cars, actually make their way all the way into the
                          > Alps? How much does a trip like this cost? What is the scenery
                          > like? What time of the year is the best time to take on this trip?
                          > Is their a better train ride in Europe? Your tales are much
                          > appreciated! :)
                          >
                          > Tim

                          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                        • bill.foote
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                            Rob,

                            Will you be looking in at the Treff?

                            Bill Foote <http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote>

                            > Strangely enough, I will be there next week. We will be
                            > spending six days
                            > filming, shooting and researching the Swiss Rail Lines. It
                            > sounds like quite an
                            > adventure and I can't wait! Most of our time will be on the
                            > Gotthard line
                            > though we plan to branch out and take the trains to
                            > destinations around the
                            > country. I can't wait!
                          • Jay Greer
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                              Tim,
                              You owe it to yourself to check out the Rigibahn!
                              http://www.rigi.ch/website/deutsch/index.html
                              Jay Greer/Trax Inc.

                              on 6/1/05 17:43, Robert Cardinaux at roberttip@... wrote:

                              > hi (Gruezi) Mister Dave, it wasn't me (I'm swiss) it was Sgt_Tim7!! ;-)

                            • Robert Toole
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                                Tim,
                                PBS did a series called Swiss Railway Journeys 1,2 & 3
                                and they were only available in VHS. Acorn Media,
                                Bethesda, Md was the distributor. Their website is
                                <www.mcornmedia.com>.
                                Oh, on the Jungfraujoch, it you take the 1st train of
                                the day, there is a discount. In fact alot of the
                                tourist lines offer a discount on their 1st run of the
                                day.
                                After reading all the replys to your question, my
                                favorite train is the MOB which runs from Montreaux to
                                Zweisimmen. It begins on Lake Geneva and connects with
                                trains to Interlaken.
                                Here are a few websites you may want to check out.
                                www.bt-bahn.ch, www.glacerexpress.ch, www.rhb.ch,
                                www.matterhorn-gotthard-bahn.ch, www.bls.ch,
                                www.mob.ch
                                They should keep you busy for a while.
                                As you can see, my interest is Swiss RR.
                                Have fun surfing.
                                Robert

                                --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

                                > Just out of curiosity, has any member of this group
                                > taken a train ride
                                > thru the Alps? Am I correct in saying that part of
                                > the Orient
                                > Express, the red cars, actually make their way all
                                > the way into the
                                > Alps? How much does a trip like this cost? What is
                                > the scenery
                                > like? What time of the year is the best time to
                                > take on this trip?
                                > Is their a better train ride in Europe? Your tales
                                > are much
                                > appreciated! :)
                                >
                                > Tim

                                __________________________________
                                Discover Yahoo!
                                http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
                              • ztrack@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                                  Bill,

                                  Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend Treff this year. I have been to the
                                  last two, but I can't make it this year. We are preparing for the Z scale
                                  convention and the National Train Show and my time is limited. I am returning to
                                  the States the Friday before Treff begins. I hope you have a great time!

                                  Rob

                                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                  6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                  Dublin, OH 43016
                                  phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                  http://www.ztrack.com/
                                  Distributor for American Z Line

                                • Thomas Habrik
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                                    Great to hear, that so many Z enthusiast have visited my country. Thanks
                                    a lot! Hopefully a lot more will do so.

                                    Personally, I suggest a ride from Chur with the narrow track train down
                                    to Italy. It is called the “Bernina Express” and it is run by the
                                    Rhätische Bahn.
                                    This train company does cover the south east part of Switzerland:

                                    Streckenkarte

                                    The route of the Bernina Express:
                                    Streckenkarte

                                    It goes up to over 2000 meter without any help (conventional adhesive
                                    track)

                                    Link:
                                    www.rhb.ch <http://www.rhb.ch/>

                                    best regards
                                    Thomas

                                    Actually, if you are only planning to travel within Switzerland,
                                    the best ticket is the Swiss Pass
                                    ( http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/sts.htm )
                                    which basically includes all public transportation, trains,
                                    buses, lake steamers, even some cable cars. Just a few tourist
                                    only mountain tracks like the train to Jungfraujoch are excluded.
                                    And the pass can be bought locally e.g. from the airport, so there's
                                    no need to hassle with travel agents and their inevitable commissions.
                                    Orient Express is for luxury, but I want to stay in the Alps, not
                                    just rush through.

                                    (I'll be in Switzerland 9th - 25th July.)
                                    Kari Tanskanen

                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
                                    > Robert C,
                                    > Go to www.raileurope.com or call 1-800-438-7245 And get a
                                    railpass to suite your needs. Multi countries,,3 - 4- 5 etc.day
                                    passes.Its a breeze. Rail Europe will help yopu out.

                                    > Cordially,
                                    > Mister Dave
                                    >
                                    > Robert Cardinaux <roberttip@h...> wrote:
                                    > depends on where you're coming from, and where yo're going to, but
                                    there are great train/boat/bus combos that can take you all over the
                                    place on the same ticket . . . do you want a suggested route?

                                    Service.

                                    Service.

                                    _____

                                  • Robert Toole
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 7, 2005
                                      Jens,
                                      I like your Zett-Zeit site. I have reviewed
                                      everything that is there. I really like the new layout
                                      you are building and those helixs that you
                                      constructed. Are you going to install catenary over
                                      the tracks and on the helixs? I even viewed the video
                                      that is on your website. Just wanted to give you sone
                                      strokes for your hard work.
                                      Robert
                                      SoCal, USA

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 8, 2005
                                        sorry, I forgot, that the mailing list does not take pictures and
                                        therefore my eMail did not make really sense

                                        Therefore find below the respective links:

                                        the south-east corner of Switzerland with all the interesting train
                                        routes:
                                        http://www.rhb.ch/erlebniszuege/erlebniszuege.e.php

                                        the bernina route including the profile of the tracks:
                                        http://www.rhb.ch/berninaexpress/berninaexpress.e.php

                                        and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about
                                        http://212.11.63.76/mapsgene/dm/GKiCaZZ99ioaR5E6JcUnc4fBrLZO3z8xcUhIkUuE
                                        pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S
                                        4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g
                                        y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn
                                        et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH

                                        any further question about Switzerland?
                                        http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/welcome.cfm
                                        with a good link to rail passes:
                                        http://myswitzerland.raileurope.com/us/index.htm

                                        best regards
                                        Thomas

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 8, 2005
                                          Hello Thomas,

                                          > and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about

                                          http://212.11.63.76/mapsgene/dm/GKiCaZZ99ioaR5E6JcUnc4fBrLZO3z8xcUhIkUuE
                                          pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S
                                          4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g
                                          y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn
                                          et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH

                                          Sorry, but I wasn't able to restore that link...
                                          maybe if you post it again as a tinyurl link it would work...

                                          --
                                          GreetingZ
                                          Uwe
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 9, 2005
                                            I see, I get even with links in troubles

                                            go to www.viamichelin.com
                                            search for the City "Chur" in "Switzerland" and you get the starting point
                                            of the Bernina rail trip

                                            >-- Original-Nachricht --
                                            >To: Thomas Habrik <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
                                            >From: Uwe Liermann <maillist@...>
                                            >Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 23:29:52 +0200
                                            >Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Swiss Alps!

                                            ><tt>
                                            >Hello Thomas,<BR>
                                            ><BR>
                                            >> and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about<BR>
                                            ><BR>
                                            >pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S<BR>
                                            >4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g<BR>
                                            >y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn<BR>
                                            >et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH<BR>
                                            > <BR>
                                            >Sorry, but I wasn't able to restore that link...<BR>
                                            >maybe if you post it again as a tinyurl link it would work...<BR>
                                            ><BR>
                                            >-- <BR>
                                            >GreetingZ<BR>
                                            >Uwe<BR>
                                            ><BR>
                                            ></tt>

                                            ><tt>
                                            >-Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!<BR>
                                            ></tt>
                                            >

                                            ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                                            ><tt><hr width="500">
                                            ><ul>