RE: [Z_Scale] Swiss Alps!

  • Ted LaMar
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
      <snip>
      Just out of curiosity, has any member of this group taken a train ride
      thru the Alps? Am I correct in saying that part of the Orient
      Express, the red cars, actually make their way all the way into the
      Alps? How much does a trip like this cost? What is the scenery
      like? What time of the year is the best time to take on this trip?
      Is their a better train ride in Europe? Your tales are much
      appreciated! :)
      </snip>

      Hey Sarge.

      I've taken many train trips "through the Alps".

      I don't know about the Orient Express.

      There are MANY ways to travel through "Alps". There is definitely not just one route.
      One of my favorite trips is the one up to the Jungfraujoch - A long climb up a rack and pinion based narrow gauge railway to ....basically heaven. Some folks have trouble breathing in the thin air - but if you're healthy it's a must see, IMO.

      Zermatt is another nice trip. From Gstaad or pretty much anywhere, for that matter. But the closer you get to the hills the faster you start to climb.

      If you will be there for a while, a Eurail pass is a great way to go (even though some mountain trains aren't included - but you may get a discount)

      Taking these trains is not cheap. I think the last time I went to the Jungfraujoch was in 2000 - and it cost my wife, me and my three yr old about 160 US dollars round trip. Waaaay worth it.

      There are many different rail passes now - and I don't know which the best are for that kind of travel. But your travel agent may.

      The scenery is fantastic if you get good weather. Weather is always the deciding factor. If I wake up to blue skies at 5:00 am - that is the day for a trip up the mountains. Go early. Many people are aware of the stuff and it gets so busy that it can be a pain. If you are on the first train you are pretty much guaranteed a relaxing trip and views from wherever you want to soak them in.

      Check out Piz Gloria at the top of the Schilthorn. [Tram, not train] But soo cool. You will be blown away by the town of Muerren half way up. Total Swiss. Also total tourist so go early.

      And of course you've heard of the Gotthard pass?? Where the Krokodils used to pull freight. You can take trains over that too and go through more tunnels than one could ever count. You can go from the north of Switzerland all the way to Italy and everything in-between is awesome.

      I could go on for hours about Switzerland - It's my favorite place to go. No matter where you go within it's small boundaries you will love it.

      Oh yeah - Bring a ton of money. Especially since the dollar is so weak, everything will seem expensive. It's expensive when the dollar is strong. ;) But that's only because it is the best place to be.

      T [climbimg down off my soapbox]
    • Robert Cardinaux
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
        depends on where you're coming from, and where yo're going to, but there are great train/boat/bus combos that can take you all over the place on the same ticket . . . do you want a suggested route?

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
          Strangely enough, I will be there next week. We will be spending six days
          filming, shooting and researching the Swiss Rail Lines. It sounds like quite an
          adventure and I can't wait! Most of our time will be on the Gotthard line
          though we plan to branch out and take the trains to destinations around the
          country. I can't wait!

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          http://www.ztrack.com/
          Distributor for American Z Line

        • Robert Cardinaux
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
            Hey Rob, have a good trip. Check out these photos ( when the page opens, Click on Fluelen, Gurtnellen, Wassen, Goschenen, waypoints on theGotthardbahn NordSeite) from a guy who keeps me in supply of scenery ideas for the Gotthardbahn.

            http://tinyurl.com/98hmx

            If you get a chance to snap a roll of photos of Wassen station, I'd appreciate it.
            Regards

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
              Rob,
              This past February. I rode the Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt,,,St Moritz to Bernina Pass ( Diavolezza ski area ),,,The Loetschberg-Centovalli Express from Zermatt to Logano,, ,and Zermatt to Zurich -thru Bern.
              Wintertime Alps are spectacular too. All my train riding days were unbelieveably sunny.
              Enjoy the ride !
              Mister Dave

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                Robert C,
                Go to www.raileurope.com or call 1-800-438-7245 And get a railpass to suite your needs. Multi countries,,3 - 4- 5 etc.day passes.Its a breeze. Rail Europe will help yopu out.

                Cordially,
                Mister Dave

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                  hi (Gruezi) Mister Dave, it wasn't me (I'm swiss) it was Sgt_Tim7!! ;-)

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                    Sorry Robert,,I get on this thing and start wholesale scanning and I don't always get the latest or oldest figured out when I respond to an issue.
                    Mr D.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                      Ted, the Krokodils are still WORKING museums. Every once in a while they still get out and pull freight.

                      And hey, did you see the latest on exchange rates? After the no votes on the EU Constitution the value of the Euro dropped.

                      Randy Smidt

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                        nooo prob
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                          Actually, if you are only planning to travel within Switzerland,
                          the best ticket is the Swiss Pass
                          ( http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/sts.htm )
                          which basically includes all public transportation, trains,
                          buses, lake steamers, even some cable cars. Just a few tourist
                          only mountain tracks like the train to Jungfraujoch are excluded.
                          And the pass can be bought locally e.g. from the airport, so there's
                          no need to hassle with travel agents and their inevitable commissions.
                          Orient Express is for luxury, but I want to stay in the Alps, not
                          just rush through.

                          (I'll be in Switzerland 9th - 25th July.)
                          Kari Tanskanen

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
                          > Robert C,
                          > Go to www.raileurope.com or call 1-800-438-7245 And get a
                          railpass to suite your needs. Multi countries,,3 - 4- 5 etc.day
                          passes.Its a breeze. Rail Europe will help yopu out.

                          > Cordially,
                          > Mister Dave
                          >
                          > Robert Cardinaux <roberttip@h...> wrote:
                          > depends on where you're coming from, and where yo're going to, but
                          there are great train/boat/bus combos that can take you all over the
                          place on the same ticket . . . do you want a suggested route?

                          Service.

                          Service.

                        • Jens Wimmel
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                            Tim,

                            as I live in the swiss alps - yes I took the most trains through the
                            alps and they are all fantastic!
                            Orient express runs through the alps via Lausanne - Simplon.
                            For discover the alps there are better trains and lines.

                            Gotthard line is interesting to take photos because of many freight and
                            international passenger trains, Lötschberg-Simplon line too. Both are
                            really mainlines with 10+ trains an hour. A journey on this lines is
                            fantastic too, amazing views, interesting layout with spirals, change of
                            country style and language.

                            Really nice are the narrow gauge lines of Rhätische Bahn (RhB) and
                            Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn (MGB). Not only the Glacier Express is an
                            interesting train, but it is an unforgetable experience!

                            Every time in the year has its special attraction. Weather in the alps
                            is normally not 5 days the same, you'll every time have the chance for
                            sun, rain or snow.
                            Some links:

                            http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/int-gaeste-panoramastrecken.htm
                            http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/welcome.cfm
                            http://www.rhb.ch/index.e.php
                            http://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/1glac_1.html

                            If you have more questions, don't hesitate...

                            Regards,
                            Jens

                            sgt_tim7 schrieb:
                            > Just out of curiosity, has any member of this group taken a train ride
                            > thru the Alps? Am I correct in saying that part of the Orient
                            > Express, the red cars, actually make their way all the way into the
                            > Alps? How much does a trip like this cost? What is the scenery
                            > like? What time of the year is the best time to take on this trip?
                            > Is their a better train ride in Europe? Your tales are much
                            > appreciated! :)
                            >
                            > Tim

                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                          • bill.foote
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                              Rob,

                              Will you be looking in at the Treff?

                              Bill Foote <http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote>

                              > Strangely enough, I will be there next week. We will be
                              > spending six days
                              > filming, shooting and researching the Swiss Rail Lines. It
                              > sounds like quite an
                              > adventure and I can't wait! Most of our time will be on the
                              > Gotthard line
                              > though we plan to branch out and take the trains to
                              > destinations around the
                              > country. I can't wait!
                            • Jay Greer
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                                Tim,
                                You owe it to yourself to check out the Rigibahn!
                                http://www.rigi.ch/website/deutsch/index.html
                                Jay Greer/Trax Inc.

                                on 6/1/05 17:43, Robert Cardinaux at roberttip@... wrote:

                                > hi (Gruezi) Mister Dave, it wasn't me (I'm swiss) it was Sgt_Tim7!! ;-)

                              • Robert Toole
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                                  Tim,
                                  PBS did a series called Swiss Railway Journeys 1,2 & 3
                                  and they were only available in VHS. Acorn Media,
                                  Bethesda, Md was the distributor. Their website is
                                  <www.mcornmedia.com>.
                                  Oh, on the Jungfraujoch, it you take the 1st train of
                                  the day, there is a discount. In fact alot of the
                                  tourist lines offer a discount on their 1st run of the
                                  day.
                                  After reading all the replys to your question, my
                                  favorite train is the MOB which runs from Montreaux to
                                  Zweisimmen. It begins on Lake Geneva and connects with
                                  trains to Interlaken.
                                  Here are a few websites you may want to check out.
                                  www.bt-bahn.ch, www.glacerexpress.ch, www.rhb.ch,
                                  www.matterhorn-gotthard-bahn.ch, www.bls.ch,
                                  www.mob.ch
                                  They should keep you busy for a while.
                                  As you can see, my interest is Swiss RR.
                                  Have fun surfing.
                                  Robert

                                  --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

                                  > Just out of curiosity, has any member of this group
                                  > taken a train ride
                                  > thru the Alps? Am I correct in saying that part of
                                  > the Orient
                                  > Express, the red cars, actually make their way all
                                  > the way into the
                                  > Alps? How much does a trip like this cost? What is
                                  > the scenery
                                  > like? What time of the year is the best time to
                                  > take on this trip?
                                  > Is their a better train ride in Europe? Your tales
                                  > are much
                                  > appreciated! :)
                                  >
                                  > Tim

                                  __________________________________
                                  Discover Yahoo!
                                  http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
                                • ztrack@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                                    Bill,

                                    Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend Treff this year. I have been to the
                                    last two, but I can't make it this year. We are preparing for the Z scale
                                    convention and the National Train Show and my time is limited. I am returning to
                                    the States the Friday before Treff begins. I hope you have a great time!

                                    Rob

                                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                    Dublin, OH 43016
                                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                    http://www.ztrack.com/
                                    Distributor for American Z Line

                                  • Thomas Habrik
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                                      Great to hear, that so many Z enthusiast have visited my country. Thanks
                                      a lot! Hopefully a lot more will do so.

                                      Personally, I suggest a ride from Chur with the narrow track train down
                                      to Italy. It is called the “Bernina Express” and it is run by the
                                      Rhätische Bahn.
                                      This train company does cover the south east part of Switzerland:

                                      Streckenkarte

                                      The route of the Bernina Express:
                                      Streckenkarte

                                      It goes up to over 2000 meter without any help (conventional adhesive
                                      track)

                                      Link:
                                      www.rhb.ch <http://www.rhb.ch/>

                                      best regards
                                      Thomas

                                      Actually, if you are only planning to travel within Switzerland,
                                      the best ticket is the Swiss Pass
                                      ( http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/sts.htm )
                                      which basically includes all public transportation, trains,
                                      buses, lake steamers, even some cable cars. Just a few tourist
                                      only mountain tracks like the train to Jungfraujoch are excluded.
                                      And the pass can be bought locally e.g. from the airport, so there's
                                      no need to hassle with travel agents and their inevitable commissions.
                                      Orient Express is for luxury, but I want to stay in the Alps, not
                                      just rush through.

                                      (I'll be in Switzerland 9th - 25th July.)
                                      Kari Tanskanen

                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
                                      > Robert C,
                                      > Go to www.raileurope.com or call 1-800-438-7245 And get a
                                      railpass to suite your needs. Multi countries,,3 - 4- 5 etc.day
                                      passes.Its a breeze. Rail Europe will help yopu out.

                                      > Cordially,
                                      > Mister Dave
                                      >
                                      > Robert Cardinaux <roberttip@h...> wrote:
                                      > depends on where you're coming from, and where yo're going to, but
                                      there are great train/boat/bus combos that can take you all over the
                                      place on the same ticket . . . do you want a suggested route?

                                      Service.

                                      Service.

                                      _____

                                    • Robert Toole
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 7, 2005
                                        Jens,
                                        I like your Zett-Zeit site. I have reviewed
                                        everything that is there. I really like the new layout
                                        you are building and those helixs that you
                                        constructed. Are you going to install catenary over
                                        the tracks and on the helixs? I even viewed the video
                                        that is on your website. Just wanted to give you sone
                                        strokes for your hard work.
                                        Robert
                                        SoCal, USA

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 8, 2005
                                          sorry, I forgot, that the mailing list does not take pictures and
                                          therefore my eMail did not make really sense

                                          Therefore find below the respective links:

                                          the south-east corner of Switzerland with all the interesting train
                                          routes:
                                          http://www.rhb.ch/erlebniszuege/erlebniszuege.e.php

                                          the bernina route including the profile of the tracks:
                                          http://www.rhb.ch/berninaexpress/berninaexpress.e.php

                                          and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about
                                          http://212.11.63.76/mapsgene/dm/GKiCaZZ99ioaR5E6JcUnc4fBrLZO3z8xcUhIkUuE
                                          pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S
                                          4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g
                                          y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn
                                          et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH

                                          any further question about Switzerland?
                                          http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/welcome.cfm
                                          with a good link to rail passes:
                                          http://myswitzerland.raileurope.com/us/index.htm

                                          best regards
                                          Thomas

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 8, 2005
                                            Hello Thomas,

                                            > and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about

                                            http://212.11.63.76/mapsgene/dm/GKiCaZZ99ioaR5E6JcUnc4fBrLZO3z8xcUhIkUuE
                                            pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S
                                            4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g
                                            y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn
                                            et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH

                                            Sorry, but I wasn't able to restore that link...
                                            maybe if you post it again as a tinyurl link it would work...

                                            --
                                            GreetingZ
                                            Uwe
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 9, 2005
                                              I see, I get even with links in troubles

                                              go to www.viamichelin.com
                                              search for the City "Chur" in "Switzerland" and you get the starting point
                                              of the Bernina rail trip

                                              >-- Original-Nachricht --
                                              >To: Thomas Habrik <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
                                              >From: Uwe Liermann <maillist@...>
                                              >Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 23:29:52 +0200
                                              >Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Swiss Alps!

                                              ><tt>
                                              >Hello Thomas,<BR>
                                              ><BR>
                                              >> and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about<BR>
                                              ><BR>
                                              >pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S<BR>
                                              >4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g<BR>
                                              >y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn<BR>
                                              >et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH<BR>
                                              > <BR>
                                              >Sorry, but I wasn't able to restore that link...<BR>
                                              >maybe if you post it again as a tinyurl link it would work...<BR>
                                              ><BR>
                                              >-- <BR>
                                              >GreetingZ<BR>
                                              >Uwe<BR>
                                              ><BR>
                                              ></tt>

                                              ><tt>
                                              >-Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!<BR>
                                              ></tt>
                                              >

                                              ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                                              ><tt><hr width="500">
                                              ><ul>