Swiss Alps!

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
      Just out of curiosity, has any member of this group taken a train ride
      thru the Alps? Am I correct in saying that part of the Orient
      Express, the red cars, actually make their way all the way into the
      Alps? How much does a trip like this cost? What is the scenery
      like? What time of the year is the best time to take on this trip?
      Is their a better train ride in Europe? Your tales are much
      appreciated! :)

      Tim
    • Ted LaMar
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
        <snip>
        Just out of curiosity, has any member of this group taken a train ride
        thru the Alps? Am I correct in saying that part of the Orient
        Express, the red cars, actually make their way all the way into the
        Alps? How much does a trip like this cost? What is the scenery
        like? What time of the year is the best time to take on this trip?
        Is their a better train ride in Europe? Your tales are much
        appreciated! :)
        </snip>

        Hey Sarge.

        I've taken many train trips "through the Alps".

        I don't know about the Orient Express.

        There are MANY ways to travel through "Alps". There is definitely not just one route.
        One of my favorite trips is the one up to the Jungfraujoch - A long climb up a rack and pinion based narrow gauge railway to ....basically heaven. Some folks have trouble breathing in the thin air - but if you're healthy it's a must see, IMO.

        Zermatt is another nice trip. From Gstaad or pretty much anywhere, for that matter. But the closer you get to the hills the faster you start to climb.

        If you will be there for a while, a Eurail pass is a great way to go (even though some mountain trains aren't included - but you may get a discount)

        Taking these trains is not cheap. I think the last time I went to the Jungfraujoch was in 2000 - and it cost my wife, me and my three yr old about 160 US dollars round trip. Waaaay worth it.

        There are many different rail passes now - and I don't know which the best are for that kind of travel. But your travel agent may.

        The scenery is fantastic if you get good weather. Weather is always the deciding factor. If I wake up to blue skies at 5:00 am - that is the day for a trip up the mountains. Go early. Many people are aware of the stuff and it gets so busy that it can be a pain. If you are on the first train you are pretty much guaranteed a relaxing trip and views from wherever you want to soak them in.

        Check out Piz Gloria at the top of the Schilthorn. [Tram, not train] But soo cool. You will be blown away by the town of Muerren half way up. Total Swiss. Also total tourist so go early.

        And of course you've heard of the Gotthard pass?? Where the Krokodils used to pull freight. You can take trains over that too and go through more tunnels than one could ever count. You can go from the north of Switzerland all the way to Italy and everything in-between is awesome.

        I could go on for hours about Switzerland - It's my favorite place to go. No matter where you go within it's small boundaries you will love it.

        Oh yeah - Bring a ton of money. Especially since the dollar is so weak, everything will seem expensive. It's expensive when the dollar is strong. ;) But that's only because it is the best place to be.

        T [climbimg down off my soapbox]
      • Robert Cardinaux
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
          depends on where you're coming from, and where yo're going to, but there are great train/boat/bus combos that can take you all over the place on the same ticket . . . do you want a suggested route?

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
            Strangely enough, I will be there next week. We will be spending six days
            filming, shooting and researching the Swiss Rail Lines. It sounds like quite an
            adventure and I can't wait! Most of our time will be on the Gotthard line
            though we plan to branch out and take the trains to destinations around the
            country. I can't wait!

            Rob Kluz

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
            Dublin, OH 43016
            phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
            http://www.ztrack.com/
            Distributor for American Z Line

          • Robert Cardinaux
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
              Hey Rob, have a good trip. Check out these photos ( when the page opens, Click on Fluelen, Gurtnellen, Wassen, Goschenen, waypoints on theGotthardbahn NordSeite) from a guy who keeps me in supply of scenery ideas for the Gotthardbahn.

              http://tinyurl.com/98hmx

              If you get a chance to snap a roll of photos of Wassen station, I'd appreciate it.
              Regards

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                Rob,
                This past February. I rode the Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt,,,St Moritz to Bernina Pass ( Diavolezza ski area ),,,The Loetschberg-Centovalli Express from Zermatt to Logano,, ,and Zermatt to Zurich -thru Bern.
                Wintertime Alps are spectacular too. All my train riding days were unbelieveably sunny.
                Enjoy the ride !
                Mister Dave

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                  Robert C,
                  Go to www.raileurope.com or call 1-800-438-7245 And get a railpass to suite your needs. Multi countries,,3 - 4- 5 etc.day passes.Its a breeze. Rail Europe will help yopu out.

                  Cordially,
                  Mister Dave

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                    hi (Gruezi) Mister Dave, it wasn't me (I'm swiss) it was Sgt_Tim7!! ;-)

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                      Sorry Robert,,I get on this thing and start wholesale scanning and I don't always get the latest or oldest figured out when I respond to an issue.
                      Mr D.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                        Ted, the Krokodils are still WORKING museums. Every once in a while they still get out and pull freight.

                        And hey, did you see the latest on exchange rates? After the no votes on the EU Constitution the value of the Euro dropped.

                        Randy Smidt

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                          nooo prob
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 1, 2005
                            Actually, if you are only planning to travel within Switzerland,
                            the best ticket is the Swiss Pass
                            ( http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/sts.htm )
                            which basically includes all public transportation, trains,
                            buses, lake steamers, even some cable cars. Just a few tourist
                            only mountain tracks like the train to Jungfraujoch are excluded.
                            And the pass can be bought locally e.g. from the airport, so there's
                            no need to hassle with travel agents and their inevitable commissions.
                            Orient Express is for luxury, but I want to stay in the Alps, not
                            just rush through.

                            (I'll be in Switzerland 9th - 25th July.)
                            Kari Tanskanen

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
                            > Robert C,
                            > Go to www.raileurope.com or call 1-800-438-7245 And get a
                            railpass to suite your needs. Multi countries,,3 - 4- 5 etc.day
                            passes.Its a breeze. Rail Europe will help yopu out.

                            > Cordially,
                            > Mister Dave
                            >
                            > Robert Cardinaux <roberttip@h...> wrote:
                            > depends on where you're coming from, and where yo're going to, but
                            there are great train/boat/bus combos that can take you all over the
                            place on the same ticket . . . do you want a suggested route?

                            Service.

                            Service.

                          • Jens Wimmel
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                              Tim,

                              as I live in the swiss alps - yes I took the most trains through the
                              alps and they are all fantastic!
                              Orient express runs through the alps via Lausanne - Simplon.
                              For discover the alps there are better trains and lines.

                              Gotthard line is interesting to take photos because of many freight and
                              international passenger trains, Lötschberg-Simplon line too. Both are
                              really mainlines with 10+ trains an hour. A journey on this lines is
                              fantastic too, amazing views, interesting layout with spirals, change of
                              country style and language.

                              Really nice are the narrow gauge lines of Rhätische Bahn (RhB) and
                              Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn (MGB). Not only the Glacier Express is an
                              interesting train, but it is an unforgetable experience!

                              Every time in the year has its special attraction. Weather in the alps
                              is normally not 5 days the same, you'll every time have the chance for
                              sun, rain or snow.
                              Some links:

                              http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/int-gaeste-panoramastrecken.htm
                              http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/welcome.cfm
                              http://www.rhb.ch/index.e.php
                              http://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/1glac_1.html

                              If you have more questions, don't hesitate...

                              Regards,
                              Jens

                              sgt_tim7 schrieb:
                              > Just out of curiosity, has any member of this group taken a train ride
                              > thru the Alps? Am I correct in saying that part of the Orient
                              > Express, the red cars, actually make their way all the way into the
                              > Alps? How much does a trip like this cost? What is the scenery
                              > like? What time of the year is the best time to take on this trip?
                              > Is their a better train ride in Europe? Your tales are much
                              > appreciated! :)
                              >
                              > Tim

                              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                            • bill.foote
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                                Rob,

                                Will you be looking in at the Treff?

                                Bill Foote <http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote>

                                > Strangely enough, I will be there next week. We will be
                                > spending six days
                                > filming, shooting and researching the Swiss Rail Lines. It
                                > sounds like quite an
                                > adventure and I can't wait! Most of our time will be on the
                                > Gotthard line
                                > though we plan to branch out and take the trains to
                                > destinations around the
                                > country. I can't wait!
                              • Jay Greer
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                                  Tim,
                                  You owe it to yourself to check out the Rigibahn!
                                  http://www.rigi.ch/website/deutsch/index.html
                                  Jay Greer/Trax Inc.

                                  on 6/1/05 17:43, Robert Cardinaux at roberttip@... wrote:

                                  > hi (Gruezi) Mister Dave, it wasn't me (I'm swiss) it was Sgt_Tim7!! ;-)

                                • Robert Toole
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                                    Tim,
                                    PBS did a series called Swiss Railway Journeys 1,2 & 3
                                    and they were only available in VHS. Acorn Media,
                                    Bethesda, Md was the distributor. Their website is
                                    <www.mcornmedia.com>.
                                    Oh, on the Jungfraujoch, it you take the 1st train of
                                    the day, there is a discount. In fact alot of the
                                    tourist lines offer a discount on their 1st run of the
                                    day.
                                    After reading all the replys to your question, my
                                    favorite train is the MOB which runs from Montreaux to
                                    Zweisimmen. It begins on Lake Geneva and connects with
                                    trains to Interlaken.
                                    Here are a few websites you may want to check out.
                                    www.bt-bahn.ch, www.glacerexpress.ch, www.rhb.ch,
                                    www.matterhorn-gotthard-bahn.ch, www.bls.ch,
                                    www.mob.ch
                                    They should keep you busy for a while.
                                    As you can see, my interest is Swiss RR.
                                    Have fun surfing.
                                    Robert

                                    --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

                                    > Just out of curiosity, has any member of this group
                                    > taken a train ride
                                    > thru the Alps? Am I correct in saying that part of
                                    > the Orient
                                    > Express, the red cars, actually make their way all
                                    > the way into the
                                    > Alps? How much does a trip like this cost? What is
                                    > the scenery
                                    > like? What time of the year is the best time to
                                    > take on this trip?
                                    > Is their a better train ride in Europe? Your tales
                                    > are much
                                    > appreciated! :)
                                    >
                                    > Tim

                                    __________________________________
                                    Discover Yahoo!
                                    http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
                                  • ztrack@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                                      Bill,

                                      Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend Treff this year. I have been to the
                                      last two, but I can't make it this year. We are preparing for the Z scale
                                      convention and the National Train Show and my time is limited. I am returning to
                                      the States the Friday before Treff begins. I hope you have a great time!

                                      Rob

                                      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                      Dublin, OH 43016
                                      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                      http://www.ztrack.com/
                                      Distributor for American Z Line

                                    • Thomas Habrik
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 2, 2005
                                        Great to hear, that so many Z enthusiast have visited my country. Thanks
                                        a lot! Hopefully a lot more will do so.

                                        Personally, I suggest a ride from Chur with the narrow track train down
                                        to Italy. It is called the “Bernina Express” and it is run by the
                                        Rhätische Bahn.
                                        This train company does cover the south east part of Switzerland:

                                        Streckenkarte

                                        The route of the Bernina Express:
                                        Streckenkarte

                                        It goes up to over 2000 meter without any help (conventional adhesive
                                        track)

                                        Link:
                                        www.rhb.ch <http://www.rhb.ch/>

                                        best regards
                                        Thomas

                                        Actually, if you are only planning to travel within Switzerland,
                                        the best ticket is the Swiss Pass
                                        ( http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/sts.htm )
                                        which basically includes all public transportation, trains,
                                        buses, lake steamers, even some cable cars. Just a few tourist
                                        only mountain tracks like the train to Jungfraujoch are excluded.
                                        And the pass can be bought locally e.g. from the airport, so there's
                                        no need to hassle with travel agents and their inevitable commissions.
                                        Orient Express is for luxury, but I want to stay in the Alps, not
                                        just rush through.

                                        (I'll be in Switzerland 9th - 25th July.)
                                        Kari Tanskanen

                                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, David George <dlgeorgesr@y...> wrote:
                                        > Robert C,
                                        > Go to www.raileurope.com or call 1-800-438-7245 And get a
                                        railpass to suite your needs. Multi countries,,3 - 4- 5 etc.day
                                        passes.Its a breeze. Rail Europe will help yopu out.

                                        > Cordially,
                                        > Mister Dave
                                        >
                                        > Robert Cardinaux <roberttip@h...> wrote:
                                        > depends on where you're coming from, and where yo're going to, but
                                        there are great train/boat/bus combos that can take you all over the
                                        place on the same ticket . . . do you want a suggested route?

                                        Service.

                                        Service.

                                        _____

                                      • Robert Toole
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 7, 2005
                                          Jens,
                                          I like your Zett-Zeit site. I have reviewed
                                          everything that is there. I really like the new layout
                                          you are building and those helixs that you
                                          constructed. Are you going to install catenary over
                                          the tracks and on the helixs? I even viewed the video
                                          that is on your website. Just wanted to give you sone
                                          strokes for your hard work.
                                          Robert
                                          SoCal, USA

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 8, 2005
                                            sorry, I forgot, that the mailing list does not take pictures and
                                            therefore my eMail did not make really sense

                                            Therefore find below the respective links:

                                            the south-east corner of Switzerland with all the interesting train
                                            routes:
                                            http://www.rhb.ch/erlebniszuege/erlebniszuege.e.php

                                            the bernina route including the profile of the tracks:
                                            http://www.rhb.ch/berninaexpress/berninaexpress.e.php

                                            and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about
                                            http://212.11.63.76/mapsgene/dm/GKiCaZZ99ioaR5E6JcUnc4fBrLZO3z8xcUhIkUuE
                                            pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S
                                            4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g
                                            y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn
                                            et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH

                                            any further question about Switzerland?
                                            http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/welcome.cfm
                                            with a good link to rail passes:
                                            http://myswitzerland.raileurope.com/us/index.htm

                                            best regards
                                            Thomas

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 8, 2005
                                              Hello Thomas,

                                              > and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about

                                              http://212.11.63.76/mapsgene/dm/GKiCaZZ99ioaR5E6JcUnc4fBrLZO3z8xcUhIkUuE
                                              pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S
                                              4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g
                                              y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn
                                              et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH

                                              Sorry, but I wasn't able to restore that link...
                                              maybe if you post it again as a tinyurl link it would work...

                                              --
                                              GreetingZ
                                              Uwe
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 9, 2005
                                                I see, I get even with links in troubles

                                                go to www.viamichelin.com
                                                search for the City "Chur" in "Switzerland" and you get the starting point
                                                of the Bernina rail trip

                                                >-- Original-Nachricht --
                                                >To: Thomas Habrik <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
                                                >From: Uwe Liermann <maillist@...>
                                                >Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 23:29:52 +0200
                                                >Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Swiss Alps!

                                                ><tt>
                                                >Hello Thomas,<BR>
                                                ><BR>
                                                >> and if you have no doubt what region I am talking about<BR>
                                                ><BR>
                                                >pD6zm5ITnVEEK==0=-0Ra3z2eUSsKeR0MrpIR=Xx=9a1EtbbwijghFaAvrADePWjm9Iwn40S<BR>
                                                >4Cz6EnlnfY7k3zwbPY1w=B1uR9Z_FpXASR6MsIRUb8QfWT8I=tm6yWm2sQ-NJUAZ8Waqal0g<BR>
                                                >y87Yy8sQTWWPLvU=IZ-_TeX4ngzsxrGlM9ZV93N0y9VlcD6-PYgRnGgmb6WOU9oDVp3lr_Mn<BR>
                                                >et5uuRPdKqNEyut10vwV7prqhQxhGNE=809IrTURXUZMH<BR>
                                                > <BR>
                                                >Sorry, but I wasn't able to restore that link...<BR>
                                                >maybe if you post it again as a tinyurl link it would work...<BR>
                                                ><BR>
                                                >-- <BR>
                                                >GreetingZ<BR>
                                                >Uwe<BR>
                                                ><BR>
                                                ></tt>

                                                ><tt>
                                                >-Z- WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!<BR>
                                                ></tt>
                                                >

                                                ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                                                ><tt><hr width="500">
                                                ><ul>